• El Ahmadi
    • Delph
    • Benteke
    • Weimann
    • Agbonlahor
    • Tonev (for Al Ahmadi 45)
    • Lowton (for Herd 81)
    • Albrighton (for Weimann 81)

I can guarantee that nearly everybody would've thought the Fulham penalty was the correct decision if it had gone our way. Clear contact, doesn't matter if it was unintentional or not. Once you make contact like that you are always asking for it...

LMAO

No. Kacaniklic leans into Bacuna which causes him to clip his ankles and he falls down dramatically. Not a penalty.

My blue-nose brother-in-law confirms "no penatly"

Still willing to dish out stick concerning Berbatov or experienced players in general VillaCas or are you now willing to except that quality experience can have a place in any team,?

Of course experience can have it's place, but Berbatov is playing like that every 1 in 10 games. You'd be screaming at him for the other 9.

Strange though that he also played well in mid week. Might have something to do with a manager coming in with progressive ideas in how to get the best out of what he has rather than alienating the players. Maybe that should ring a bell or two?

What worries me is that we are out played and dominated by almost every team, home and away. We posses guts, determination, physical prowess and a positive attitude, but lack ability or squad depth.

It worries me that Lambert took until the 80th minute to change it. We were crying out for a change of approach after about 30 minutes when it became clear that we were never going to break them down when they sat back and allowed us possession.

I don't want to make excuses for what was an extremely worrying performance, but people really need to get some sort of context regarding our opponents.

Fulham are a team full of quality and experience under a new manager who looks to have started under some sort of honeymoon period. They outmatched Spurs and were unlucky - yet we should have went there and dominated them? Really? A draw would have been a good result.

The Southampton game was awful too, and we won that one.

We could have won this one if not for Benteke's appalling form and an absolute tool of a referee.

Complete and utter delusion. 

What?

First bit is completely fair.

He said could, which clearly means that that there was a chance of winning. Now lets cross-reference his 2 points against his opening sentence of (and I repeat) could have won.

- Benteke has experience of winning games singlehandedly

- +1 pen - 1 pen for correct decisions

I don't particularly agree with CrackpotForeigner's statement, but completely and utterly deluded? Wind your neck in.

Berbatov turned up, Benteke didn't. Going 2-0 down meant that we had to go for it, but at the same time not concede again at all costs.

1-0 down with an in-form Benteke and I think there's no question that we win that game. Much easier to attack properly if you don't need to panic in defence.

I don't want to make excuses for what was an extremely worrying performance, but people really need to get some sort of context regarding our opponents.

Fulham are a team full of quality and experience under a new manager who looks to have started under some sort of honeymoon period. They outmatched Spurs and were unlucky - yet we should have went there and dominated them? Really? A draw would have been a good result.

That's a good point. I didn't watch the Fulham Spurs game but by all accounts they gave Spurs a very good game. The difference here is that we don't have the kind of quality Spurs have.

I can guarantee that nearly everybody would've thought the Fulham penalty was the correct decision if it had gone our way. Clear contact, doesn't matter if it was unintentional or not. Once you make contact like that you are always asking for it...

LMAO

No. Kacaniklic leans into Bacuna which causes him to clip his ankles and he falls down dramatically. Not a penalty.

Still willing to dish out stick concerning Berbatov or experienced players in general VillaCas or are you now willing to except that quality experience can have a place in any team,?

Of course experience can have it's place, but Berbatov is playing like that every 1 in 10 games. You'd be screaming at him for the other 9.

Strange though that he also played well in mid week. Might have something to do with a manager coming in with progressive ideas in how to get the best out of what he has rather than alienating the players. Maybe that should ring a bell or two?

Exactly my point when you said we should be beating Fulham and Sunderland as they're below us in the table.

Their league table is not indicative of their current set-ups. Sure we don't need to play as badly as today, but we also have no divine right to beat these teams.

We blow hot and cold. On a good day we can beat anyone. Today we blew very cold.

• Like 1

The Southampton game was awful too, and we won that one.

We could have won this one if not for Benteke's appalling form and an absolute tool of a referee.

Complete and utter delusion. 

What?

First bit is completely fair.

He said could, which clearly means that that there was a chance of winning. Now lets cross-reference his 2 points against his opening sentence of (and I repeat) could have won.

- Benteke has experience of winning games singlehandedly

- +1 pen - 1 pen for correct decisions

I don't particularly agree with CrackpotForeigner's statement, but completely and utterly deluded? Wind your neck in.

It was a completely deluded statement due to the way in which we played as there was practically no service to Benteke, Fulham totally outplayed us, scored two and could have scored more (hitting the post).

And please don't ask me to wind my neck in as no-one takes instruction from anyone on here even if they do have a University education.

Edited by Morpheus

Westwood was a utter disgrace today. A droppable performance in my eyes. The guy should never take a set piece in his life. Awful

The performance as a whole was tripe only gabby, tonev and Delph were half decent. Also did you notice how much of a shambles we were at cb without vlaar? Not a coincidence

It was a completely deluded statement due to the way in which we played as there was practically no service to Benteke, Fulham totally outplayed us, scored two and could have scored more (hitting the post).

And please don't ask me to wind my neck in as no-one takes instruction from anyone on here even if they do have a University education.

It wasn't deluded because he said "could", not "should". The game COULD have been completely different had that penalty not been given.

LMAO

Exactly my point when you said we should be beating Fulham and Sunderland as they're below us in the table.

Their league table is not indicative of their current set-ups. Sure we don't need to play as badly as today, but we also have no divine right to beat these teams.

We blow hot and cold. On a good day we can beat anyone. Today we blew very cold.

I tend to think SB that we actually played the same way today as we have been playing for most of the season but without those moments of brilliance that had previously papered over the cracks and thats why i have kept stating that we've still a long way to go before stabilising our current position.

Hey ho, only my 2nd live game of the season and they have to turn up with a lifeless, clueless, turgid display like that. At least it's quite an easy journey back home.

Fulham weren't that great but we made them look good. We even made Sidwell look good, FFS. This was the continuing story of the non-appearance of the Benteke we knew last season. He was slow, lacked control, and seemed disengaged from the rest of the forwards. Which is a shame because our main tactic, especially in the 2nd half, seemed to be to pump the ball up to him and hope for the best. The other thing worth noting is that we don't seem to have a bench that can make a difference. Tonev came on and was almost completely anonymous. Albrighton and Lowton came on - same.

Probably wasn't a penalty for them and Gabby should have had a penalty but since the ref seemed to be making decisions at random all afternoon, I guess it was nothing worth remarking on.

I guess Guzan was man of the match. He made a few decent saves. Delph battled hard as ever.

Westwood was a utter disgrace today. A droppable performance in my eyes. The guy should never take a set piece in his life. Awful

The performance as a whole was tripe only gabby, tonev and Delph were half decent. Also did you notice how much of a shambles we were at cb without vlaar? Not a coincidence

Agree about Westwood, but with Delph suspended against Man U there's no way he'll be dropped.

It wasn't deluded because he said "could", not "should". The game COULD have been completely different had that penalty not been given.

Concerning the overall in the game it was a deluded statement to make and Fulham could have scored more if they hadn't taken their foot of the gas in the latter part of the second half. We were well beaten even with disputed bad decisions by the officials and it's a pity you and others cannot except that.

Edited by Morpheus

Hey ho, only my 2nd live game of the season and they have to turn up with a lifeless, clueless, turgid display like that. At least it's quite an easy journey back home.

Fulham weren't that great but we made them look good. We even made Sidwell look good, FFS. This was the continuing story of the non-appearance of the Benteke we knew last season. He was slow, lacked control, and seemed disengaged from the rest of the forwards. Which is a shame because our main tactic, especially in the 2nd half, seemed to be to pump the ball up to him and hope for the best. The other thing worth noting is that we don't seem to have a bench that can make a difference. Tonev came on and was almost completely anonymous. Albrighton and Lowton came on - same.

Probably wasn't a penalty for them and Gabby should have had a penalty but since the ref seemed to be making decisions at random all afternoon, I guess it was nothing worth remarking on.

I guess Guzan was man of the match. He made a few decent saves. Delph battled hard as ever.

Yep, we bought 16 players and squad depth is still pretty appalling.

It's a pretty depressing situation all things considered.

Edit - It's not been 16 has it? Still, quite a lot.

Edited by LordSepulchrave

3 poor but key decisions shaped the game - 2 from the ref and 1 by Lambert. How the hell did Bacuna stay on the pitch? If Lowton was dropped for a poor performance against Newcastle then I hope Lmabert is consistent in his decision making by dropping Bacuna.

• Like 1

Well you can always rely on the Villa to waste a good chance to consolidate their position after building you up the game before. This was exactly the type of game we struggle with and so I always felt that we'd have a hard time here. The first Villa match my dad ever took me to was at home to Fulham in the 3rd round of the cup, at a time when we were 2nd in the Premier League and Fulham were a League One side. We lost 2-0, and I learned a valuable lesson about supporting the Villa.

Anyway, we weren't good enough; we are deadly on the counter which works for us against the teams that are going to bring it to us, but to sit back and try and soak up the pressure against a team on a 7 game losing streak with a bodge job defence was always likely to go against us and it did. In these games we have to at least try and take the game to the opponent, but we are hopelessly lacking in creativity.

Delph and Gabby the only two to have a particuarly decent game for me, although good to see Benteke looking livelier than he has done of late and Clark continues to look much improved.

Playing Herd instead of Lowton was a very strange decision. It can't be that the player who hadn't previously played since January was in better shape - Matty and Lambert must have had one hell of a falling out. 

On that showing, we'd better hope Vlaar isn't out for too long or we could get dragged right back into it with a bad run of results.

Â