• Delph
    • Benteke
    • Weimann
    • Agbonlahor
    • Tonev (for Al Ahmadi 45)
    • Lowton (for Herd 81)
    • Albrighton (for Weimann 81)

Can't blame Lambert for the injuries in the defence but today we had:

Bacuna out of position (he is just not a right back, push him further forward)

Baker out of position (I like Baker but he is wasted/useless at left back)

Herd out of position (he is at best a defensive midfielder)

Now someone was always going to have to play out of position but I'll never understand the thinking behind that defence. 

Then we had the bizarre decision to have Herd mark Berbatov for most of the game. Herd gives up about 6 inches on Berbatov, why in the world is Herd marking him? This will be the only game Berbatov has all season when he dominates in the air because every other game he will get marked by a centre back. Herd almost killed himself trying to challenge Berbatov all game so credit to him but why he was given that job I have no clue. 

What the hell has Lowton done to Lambert anyway? 

Also, reading the thread has reminded me, Westwood's set pieces!

Has somebody told him to drill it over everyone's head? What exactly is the thinking? It doesn't surprise me at all their penalty came directly from our corner. That's what happens when you insist on drilling the ball everyone's head, they end up on a counter attack. 

Give someone else a go FFS. Bacuna/Delph/anyone. 

If that are going to start paying penalties for strikers initiating contact with defenders in the box you are going to start getting scorelines like 28-25 and no players left on the pitch.

If that are going to start paying penalties for strikers initiating contact with defenders in the box you are going to start getting scorelines like 28-25 and no players left on the pitch.

It was a shit decision but Bacuna has to defend smarter than that (or just not play full back). He was in position on Sidwell and Kacaniklic today to usher them away from the goal and they ended up with 2 goals from it. 

Voted Herd best of a bad bunch, did well considering he hasn't played for the first team in almost a year and was playing out of position. I would like to see him replace the suspended Delph next week rather than Sylla.

Guzan had one of his worst games for us since becoming no1, still made one out of this world save though at 0-0.

It was an embarrassing performance all told and if we play like that next weekend then Moyes may have us to thank for kick-starting his career there.

Finally, I hope Niall Quinn never commentates on a Villa (or any) game again.

Still, at least we've got thoughts of the "bigger picture" and "the project" to comfort us this evening.

Well, I do.

We're 10th. We're looking like a side that's going to finish mid-table. Which for me is acceptable after the past 3 seasons. Our style of football needs to improve over the next two seasons if we want to progress further. Which I'm hoping Lambert will do. If we're still playing this brand of football in 2015 then the "bigger picture" is a horrible one. 

10th? How far our ambitions have fallen! We should be aiming for....9th!!11one

Doesn't matter about the referring decisions, we were a **** shambles. Getting bossed by a relegation material side, our midfield must be the most lightweight in the league. MOTM Clark, KEA shouldn't start over Syllla, Westwood looked like Bambi today and Weimann and Benteke don't deserve to start, both look nothing like the players they were last season, rather see Kozak and Tonev start tbh.

More over reaction

Why do you consider it an overreaction??

1. We weren't a ***** shambles

2. We didn't get bossed in midfield

3. We haven't got the most lightweight midfield in the league

4. Benteke & weimann, if fit, would be everyone's choice over kozak & tonev.

We can all be wise after the event. Would u start with kozak & tonev on sat against utd??

I'm a Lambert fan and normally give him the benefit of the doubt, but he made some truly baffling decisions today. Kozak should have started over Benteke, and must be wondering what he did wrong to be benched today.

I didn't see much of the game but even I know that kazak wasn't on the bench.

Or in the Villa squad for the season...

He must have heard Niall Quinn say his name.

I was asked on the way down, how we will do....I said at best a draw.

When the results are not supported by good performances, this is what you get.

Well we can rule confidence out (as a lacking) after beating Southampton.

We are going in to peaks and troughs at an alarming rate and it is almost close to impossible to forecast how we will fair before a game.

Results aside I was bamboozled watching the standard of play how anyone can refer to that as progress, I will never know.

Another point, when you have a technician with the skill base of Berbatov who is normally a lazy bastard but if you give him space is capable of destroying you....surely a man marking job is prudent, where a young player can get in his face.

Really, not sure where all this is heading.

Edited by TRO

I've not seen a performance as anonymous as KEA since Kinsella was at the club.  Sylla must be awful in training to not be worth a place in a team that starts KEA most weeks.

Weimann?

Electric Avenue

"The Ref has had a real shocker"...

did you have burglars, so you couldn't finish the post.

.....so you don't think we had a real shocker too?

Edited by TRO

Â