• El Ahmadi
    • Delph
    • Benteke
    • Weimann
    • Agbonlahor
    • Tonev (for Al Ahmadi 45)
    • Lowton (for Herd 81)
    • Albrighton (for Weimann 81)

I'm a Lambert fan and normally give him the benefit of the doubt, but he made some truly baffling decisions today. Kozak should have started over Benteke, and must be wondering what he did wrong to be benched today. Weimann (or Bacuna) should have been subbed at half time, not KEA. And what is the freaking point of making subs in the 82nd minute? Lowton and Albrighton were probably decent choices to come on but he waited far far too late, and subbing off Herd instead of Bacuna? I do not understand.

Of our makeshift back four, I thought Herd acquitted himself well today (although he always looks like a red card waiting to happen), he made some very important blocks and won a lot in the air. Clark and Baker were OK defensively, both making some important clearances (was it Baker who cleared off the line?). Baker is terrible going forward but he's not a left back and clearly we have zero options there when Luna and Bennett are out.

Bacuna had a horrible, horrible day and it's time he's dropped. I don't know what sin Lowton has committed but there is no way he's been benched this long just due to form, not when so many others in the squad have shown worse form and continue to play every week. He needs to be back vs Man U.

Benteke again looked like he did not give a shit. There's no way he's off in Janary or in the summer on this form, not to another club and not to Brazil either. Weimann -- I have no idea where he was supposed to be playing in the first half and I don't think he did either. He was no better when moved into a more familiar position in the second half, and even more worryingly, he didn't even seem to be trying today. Westwood was poor today and needs to be taken off set piece duty.

For all of those negatives and although we never looked like scoring today at all, both of their goals were soft and Bacuna was at fault for both (which doesn't mean they wouldn't have happened if Bacuna wasn't playing). I actually thought Guzan made a mistake coming off his line for Sidwell's first, he should have left Bacuna to deal with it and stayed back.

We badly missed Vlaar today, even though Herd did well -- we missed Vlaar's leadership and his calmness. Gabby is not a good choice for captain, in my opinion. He is good at leading by example but other than the bollocking he (rightly) gave Bacuna I don't think I saw him communicating with anyone else on the pitch. I'd rather see Clark, Guzan or maybe Delph with the armband in Vlaar's absence. Which I REALLY hope is not much longer.

The penalty shout was a little soft also, but certainly no softer than the one Dean awarded them in the first half. Poorly referee'd game, but we lost this one on our own. Rotten showing all around. Lambert got it wrong, the players got it wrong too. On the basis of today's performance there's 5 or 6 I'd drop for next week, if we had the squad to do that. But definitely Lowton for Bacuna, Kozak for Benteke and Albrighton for Weimann.

My MOTM goes to the away fans.

I was puzzled when lambert waited until the 82nd min before trying to change it. Game was over by then he should of done it a lot earlier

"Gabby is not a good choice for captain, in my opinion. He is good at leading by example but other than the bollocking he (rightly) gave Bacuna I don't think I saw him communicating with anyone else on the pitch."

When even Gabby is telling you to 'THINK!' you know you have done something very silly indeed.

• Like 2

I can guarantee that nearly everybody would've thought the Fulham penalty was the correct decision if it had gone our way. Clear contact, doesn't matter if it was unintentional or not. Once you make contact like that you are always asking for it...

LMAO

No. Kacaniklic leans into Bacuna which causes him to clip his ankles and he falls down dramatically. Not a penalty.

My blue-nose brother-in-law confirms "no penatly"

Still willing to dish out stick concerning Berbatov or experienced players in general VillaCas or are you now willing to except that quality experience can have a place in any team,?

I think Berbatov is crap, it's just you and Naill Quinn that rate him I think - probably the first time he has turned up for Fulham this season - which is one of the reasons why they are still 19th and Jol was sacked. He was booed in the week by Fulham fans when his name was announced

There was no chance at all of us ever signing him, but had we done so it would have been absolutely disastorous!

I don't think I've ever said that there is no place for quality and experience in the team? I, like Lambert, would have liked us to sign Sissoko or Kiyotake, for example but we don't have the finances to do so at the moment

Lets examine your idea of not signing 16 "cheap" players, but rather signing 5 "quality" players - in this case our (complete) first team squad would be Clark, Baker, Herd, Gabby, Delph and Weimann plus 5 others (presumably in the Adam/Berbatov "flair" players that you seem to favour). An 11 man squad, presumably with academy players filling the 7 subs places?

I'm also aware of your suggestion that he should have kept the old guard longer. I absolutely don't beleive that this was ever an option available to him, however I'm of the opinion that Heskey, Warnock, Hutton, Ireland, Dunne, Cuellar , Holman, Makoun and Bent would add nothing. Certainly not one of them has gone on to greater things since leaving Villa

We were crap today - We are a typical mid-table team - good and bad in equal measure.

As i've said many times previously - In my opinion we are on an upward trajectory but I don't expect that to be a contstant smooth improvement, week on week or month on month. 

We need to bring in a couple during January - quality and experience would be useful but if we don't get that type of player then it will be the finances that decide that not Lamberts preference

Not by any stretch of the imagination could anyone describe Berbatov as being 'crap' and he proved that again today. You'll also find looking through the match thread that there is indeed more than Quinn or I who appreciate Berbatov's talents and its just sour grapes on your part that you won't even acknowledge that. You will also find that Berbatov played well in mid week and you used this 'booed by Fulham fans' last week as well which I find surprising as there wasn't too many Fulham fans showing their discontent towards him today.

There probably wasn't much chance of signing him but then that didn't seem to matter to you when you've continually used him as a stick to beat me with in previous debates. I assume after today you will now refrain from doing that.

Your comments on the strength of our squad are hilarious as you are aware that my position was always one of gradual change. A juxtaposition if you like of both youth and experience including those players that were already here before Lambert arrived.

One other point you might find interesting concerning today's game is that Fulham's new manager got the best out of the players available including one midfielder deemed not good enough for us rather than alienating him. Does that kinda ring a bell with you?

I did read another one of your posts describing Lambert as a 'tactical genius' based on our game against Southampton. While that game defined the phrase 'smash and grab' it was nevertheless a fantastic result for us but the performance level was constant with the rest of the season and sooner rather than later that was going to catch up with us which it did today. Lambert  still has a very long way to go before warranting the description as a 'tactical genius' and his team still have a very long way to go to convince me that improvement everyone is shouting about is actually going to continue as it is my belief that Lambert's signings simply aren't good enough to get us where we want to go.      

• Like 1

Toothless. Gutless. Heartless. Clueless...anything else?

My thoughts...

Bacuna isn't a right back

Westwood isn't good enough

Benteke needs to find his shooting boots soon 

Weimann has really gone off the boil

Delph had an usually poor game

Gabby, Herd, Baker and Clark are the only ones to come out with any credit

Puzzled as to how we let a team like Fulham dominate us in the manner they did - forget referee decisions, we were absolute toilet and didn't deserve anything from that game.

What we need:

A CDM in the Mulumbu mould how can do the dirty work and make things happen - Westwood has got nothing on him so far

A creative midfielder

Not to play Bacuna at right back

Big fan of Lambert and what he's trying to do but to say we won't be in a relegation fight this season is very premature based on that performance - there's a long way to go and if we continue to play like that we'll get sucked into the mire in no time.

Berbatov isn't a bad player and on his day he can be very good but surely even you must accept that he's been poor in most games this season?

Also, you mentioned the supposed alienation of players but Sidwell was long gone when Lambert arrived.

Berbatov isn't a bad player and on his day he can be very good but surely even you must accept that he's been poor in most games this season?

Also, you mentioned the supposed alienation of players but Sidwell was long gone when Lambert arrived.

Berbatov is an exceptional player who can affect games on his own in the same way Benteke did last season and probably one of the reasons why he hasn't been as influential this season is down to the way in which the previous manager was using him.

Concerning Sidwell yes I know that but it was the precedent I was getting at trying to get the best out of what you have available rather than advocating complete change too quickly. 

Berbatov is an exceptional player who can affect games on his own in the same way Benteke did last season and probably one of the reasons why he hasn't been as influential this season is down to the way in which the previous manager was using him.

Concerning Sidwell yes I know that but it was the precedent I was getting at trying to get the best out of what you have available rather than advocating complete change too quickly. 

I don't think it's got that much to do with how Jol was using him when you consider that Berbatov had a good season last season.

Well Meulensteen can hardly change that much in the middle of the season outside transfer window can he?

Not by any stretch of the imagination could anyone describe Berbatov as being 'crap' and he proved that again today. You'll also find looking through the match thread that there is indeed more than Quinn or I who appreciate Berbatov's talents and its just sour grapes on your part that you won't even acknowledge that.

Not sour grapes at all. I, like SAF, think that Berbatov is a liability - he wouldn't be in the top 1000 players I would like to sign.

You will also find that Berbatov played well in mid week and you used this 'booed by Fulham fans' last week as well which I find surprising as there wasn't too many Fulham fans showing their discontent towards him today.

Berbatov asked for a transfer early in the week, which didn't go down well with Fulham fans given he has been shit all season and a key reasons for 19th place and Jol exit. The thinking is that he's agreed to "turn up" for the next month, in exchange for his desired move in January. I understand also that Villa are not leading the queue for his signature

There probably wasn't much chance of signing him but then that didn't seem to matter to you when you've continually used him as a stick to beat me with in previous debates. I assume after today you will now refrain from doing that.

Not at all - I thought Adam, Berbatov and Redknapp were ludicrous suggestions and will continue to quote them as and when I see fit

Your comments on the strength of our squad are hilarious as you are aware that my position was always one of gradual change. A juxtaposition if you like of both youth and experience including those players that were already here before Lambert arrived.

Perhaps HH will confirm whether this was ever an option. Neither you nor I know what was agreed between Lerner and Lambert but IN MY OPINION, Lambert needed to get rid of Warnock, Hutton, Ireland, Dunne, Cuellar , Collins, Holman, Makoun, Given, Heskey and eventually Bent - for the reasons not good enough and/or too expensive and/or bad eggs. IF SO, signing 5 more expensive experienced players was probably not an option CONSEQUENTLY Lambert needed to sign 16 young, cheap players (many cheaper than reported I suspect) to ensure we had some sort of squad

One other point you might find interesting concerning today's game is that Fulham's new manager got the best out of the players available including one midfielder deemed not good enough for us rather than alienating him. Does that kinda ring a bell with you?

It's well known that new managers provide a 'bounce' - even Di Canio did that! He's two games in and still in 19th place, so I wouldn't be shouted his name from the rooftops yet. But if he is such a genius prehaps he was right about one of your other favourites, Bent, who he dropped from the team and the bench - probably thought that he could'nt get the best out of him I guess

I did read another one of your posts describing Lambert as a 'tactical genius' based on our game against Southampton. While that game defined the phrase 'smash and grab' it was nevertheless a fantastic result for us but the performance level was constant with the rest of the season and sooner rather than later that was going to catch up with us which it did today. Lambert  still has a very long way to go before warranting the description as a 'tactical genius' and his team still have a very long way to go to convince me that improvement everyone is shouting about is actually going to continue as it is my belief that Lambert's signings simply aren't good enough to get us where we want to go.  

I don't recall using the phrase 'tactical genius' but if I did it might have been slightly tongue in cheek. What I do think though is that Lambert decided his tactics (as posted here by HH well before the game) and they worked brilliantly. 

We were crap today - we badly missed Vlaar to give us some composure and solidity at the back. I also think we badly missed Luna to give us width and an outlet on the left. Our forwards were poor today or maybe our midfield were poor depending which side of the no movement / no service debate you fall on 

Surprisingly, I agree that Lambert's signings are not good enough to get us were we want to go - I think Lambert himself will agree with that. Lambert's initial signings were to do a job which was to keep us in the division whilst the whole club was revamped. Some will prove good enough and still be first teamers two or three years from now, some will be replaced by better and some won't make it and will move on to pastures new or become squad players.

If we add two decent signings in January and another couple in the summer I think we will look ready to take the next step. If we don't add those players address your issues to Lerner not Lambert (because if we had the money Sissoko and Lukauku would both be in Claret and Blue

Doesn't matter about the referring decisions, we were a **** shambles. Getting bossed by a relegation material side, our midfield must be the most lightweight in the league. MOTM Clark, KEA shouldn't start over Syllla, Westwood looked like Bambi today and Weimann and Benteke don't deserve to start, both look nothing like the players they were last season, rather see Kozak and Tonev start tbh.

Edited by Avflife

We have to be the least football playing team in the league it's boring

We need to stop being so soft and allowing teams to bully and out think us

We need to set up 4231

Guzan

Lowton vlaar Clark Luna

Bacuna Sylla

Gabby Delph Tonev

Benteke

I'm a Lambert fan and normally give him the benefit of the doubt, but he made some truly baffling decisions today. Kozak should have started over Benteke, and must be wondering what he did wrong to be benched today. Weimann (or Bacuna) should have been subbed at half time, not KEA. And what is the freaking point of making subs in the 82nd minute? Lowton and Albrighton were probably decent choices to come on but he waited far far too late, and subbing off Herd instead of Bacuna? I do not understand.

Of our makeshift back four, I thought Herd acquitted himself well today (although he always looks like a red card waiting to happen), he made some very important blocks and won a lot in the air. Clark and Baker were OK defensively, both making some important clearances (was it Baker who cleared off the line?). Baker is terrible going forward but he's not a left back and clearly we have zero options there when Luna and Bennett are out.

Bacuna had a horrible, horrible day and it's time he's dropped. I don't know what sin Lowton has committed but there is no way he's been benched this long just due to form, not when so many others in the squad have shown worse form and continue to play every week. He needs to be back vs Man U.

Benteke again looked like he did not give a shit. There's no way he's off in Janary or in the summer on this form, not to another club and not to Brazil either. Weimann -- I have no idea where he was supposed to be playing in the first half and I don't think he did either. He was no better when moved into a more familiar position in the second half, and even more worryingly, he didn't even seem to be trying today. Westwood was poor today and needs to be taken off set piece duty.

For all of those negatives and although we never looked like scoring today at all, both of their goals were soft and Bacuna was at fault for both (which doesn't mean they wouldn't have happened if Bacuna wasn't playing). I actually thought Guzan made a mistake coming off his line for Sidwell's first, he should have left Bacuna to deal with it and stayed back.

We badly missed Vlaar today, even though Herd did well -- we missed Vlaar's leadership and his calmness. Gabby is not a good choice for captain, in my opinion. He is good at leading by example but other than the bollocking he (rightly) gave Bacuna I don't think I saw him communicating with anyone else on the pitch. I'd rather see Clark, Guzan or maybe Delph with the armband in Vlaar's absence. Which I REALLY hope is not much longer.

The penalty shout was a little soft also, but certainly no softer than the one Dean awarded them in the first half. Poorly referee'd game, but we lost this one on our own. Rotten showing all around. Lambert got it wrong, the players got it wrong too. On the basis of today's performance there's 5 or 6 I'd drop for next week, if we had the squad to do that. But definitely Lowton for Bacuna, Kozak for Benteke and Albrighton for Weimann.

My MOTM goes to the away fans.

Kozak wasn't on the bench he was out injured with a toe injury, Bacuna needs to play in central midfield alongside Westwood and Sylla against Utd and Weimann didn't have a clue today, I couldn't personally tell where he was playing, looked like it was playing in the 'number 10' type roll.

Â