The Villa Park problem

bose

I thought it would alright to start a new topic about our woeful home form.

In the last 45 games at home we have won 11 games. That's less than one victory in every four matches. We all know about the problem and it's especially noticeable against teams that sit deep and we have to find a way through with out relying on our pace. It's not a problem that started this season, it's been going on for way too long.

Lambert must trying to stop this because it's horrible for people who pay to watch that utter shit at home.

How can we get better at finding our way through teams that sit back and we have to take the initiative and create chances. We really didn't manage to create a real chance against a very poor Sunderland team today and it's not the first time that happens.

But I'm interested in finding out what the actual problem is. Is it just the lack of a real and proper creative midfielder? Is it our style of play? Is it the manager? Is it the players? Is it something completely different?

• Like 2

Not enough through balls, not enough running off the ball. 

11135776644_7b1db77511_o.png

You mean like exactly what happens when a team sits deep and you can't get in behind them? ;)

I agree, it's what the problem was, we weren't able to get in behind them so there was no opportunity to play any through balls. Sunderland parked the bus, came for a point, managed it.

• Like 1

Not enough through balls, not enough running off the ball. 

11135776644_7b1db77511_o.png

You mean like exactly what happens when a team sits deep and you can't get in behind them? ;)

I agree, it's what the problem was, we weren't able to get in behind them so there was no opportunity to play any through balls. Sunderland parked the bus, came for a point, managed it.

And probably should have won. Liverpool did the same although they actually took the lead and won the game.

Whilst in possession we seem to get to a point not far after the halfway line and pass it sideways, nobody makes runs forward from midfield and the attackers don't get themselves into enough space.

The only way we seem to be able to attack properly is when there is space for the forwards to run into and at home that is a rarity unless a team comes to go all out against you. Since teams know this, they'll often come to Villa Park and spend most of the game frustrating us, breaking out to attack now and then to try and win.

I think it's a lack of quality that just can't break down teams who are organised when they come here.

An awful home record under this owner.

Our home form over the two seasons before he took over wasn't better than it has been now (it was in fact worse than in our last 45 game!). It's not the owner who's to blame for our poor home form.

Movement off the ball is a huge issue. Every time we have a throw in, there's nowhere near enough movement or anybody trying to make themselves available. We're just too static. During open play too, the amount of times that there was acres of space that nobody was running into was ridiculous. Players just aren't making space, hence we'll often get into the opposition's half and then end up passing it backwards. There aren't enough options.

• Like 1

Yup. Movement. Were so static. Fwiw I thought we played well enough today to win the game. We just have 3 strikers who can't score goals at the minute. But yeah, we need to work on passing the ball and moving, and a creative midfielder is a must. A creative midfielder won't solve our problems at the minute because if movement isn't there, there's nothing to create. Just needs work on the training ground. Play a higher pressure to force teams into mistakes.

1) The wide men are not wingers and spend a lot of time moving inside. This makes the middle too busy and easy to mark. Watch them when not on the ball, they are closer to the middle than near the flanks, plus we have three in midfield which means we have six players competing for such little space.

2) No width.

3) Nobody in midfield who can pick a pass.

I think those are the problems...

• Like 1

1) The wide men are not wingers and spend a lot of time moving inside. This makes the middle too busy and easy to mark. Watch them when not on the ball, they are closer to the middle than near the flanks, plus we have three in midfield which means we have six players competing for such little space.

2) No width.

3) Nobody in midfield who can pick a pass.

I think those are the problems...

Just to back up what you're saying:

http://www.whoscored.com/Matches/720188/MatchReport

It shows the average positioning of our players, Weimann, Gabby and Benteke all pretty much spent the entire game centrally. Our width only came from Luna and Bacuna.

• Like 3

Â