The Villa Park problem

bose

I think it's a lack of quality that just can't break down teams who are organised when they come here.

An awful home record under this owner.

Our home form over the two seasons before he took over wasn't better than it has been now (it was in fact worse than in our last 45 game!). It's not the owner who's to blame for our poor home form.

I'm pretty sure the 45 home games before Lerner were not as bad as the last 45.

Not sure where the 45 number came from though.

I don't think it helps that we have nobody who can hit a barn door.

That just isn't true though.  We have three players in Benteke, Weimann and Agbonlahor who on their day are great strikers.  None of them are being served by the style of football and tactics that Lambert is serving up.

Our home form is more to do with our playing style/inability to break teams down than it is to do with Lerner. He can certainly be criticised for things but I hate how everything just gets blamed on him. It's getting boring.

Our home form is more to do with our playing style/inability to break teams down than it is to do with Lerner. He can certainly be criticised for things but I hate how everything just gets blamed on him. It's getting boring.

Watching us under Lerner is getting boring.

If you don't think his managerial decisions and cuts in spending have effected how we play then not sure what to say.

Edited by Big_John_10

If you don't think his managerial decisions and cuts in spending have effected how we play then not sure what to say.

Well he isn't the one that runs training, picks the team, creates the tactics etc.

Sometimes you talk about Lerner as if he's actually the manager.

That just isn't true though.  We have three players in Benteke, Weimann and Agbonlahor who on their day are great strikers.  None of them are being served by the style of football and tactics that Lambert is serving up.

I meant shooting ability. No-one seems to be able to shoot from distance with power and accuracy. Even Atomic Strike Tonev seems to have lost this ability since crossing the VP threshold.

I think it's a lack of quality that just can't break down teams who are organised when they come here.

An awful home record under this owner.

Our home form over the two seasons before he took over wasn't better than it has been now (it was in fact worse than in our last 45 game!). It's not the owner who's to blame for our poor home form.

I'm pretty sure the 45 home games before Lerner were not as bad as the last 45.

Not sure where the 45 number came from though.

I actually made a mistake on Wikipedia, as the page didn't count all the games. We had four more victories in the last 45 games under Ellis than in the past 45 games now. That still doesn't make it a problem Lerner created. It's clearly something on the pitch and in training and in the players mentality that needs fixing.

I chose the number 45 because that's our home games the past two seasons and those we have played this season.

I agree with what some have said on here that we clearly need a creative player in there but what we also need is a completely different system at home. We need much more movement from the players when we have the ball around the midfield area to open up spaces. We can't always be running away hoping for a through ball when the opposition defence is sitting deep in their own box.

Edited by bose

Well he isn't the one that runs training, picks the team, creates the tactics etc.

You don't think the owner has an impact on the team?

Watching the villa play is boring which in part IS the fault of the ownership and management.

You don't think the owner has an impact on the team?

I never said that.

There never seems to be players moving into space.

I think our pitch is too big, its very wide and we would do a lot better on a narrower pitch IMO. Our center midfield wouldn't have to cover so much space, which would maybe enable us to play with 2 CMs and give someone else a bit more freedom.

• Like 1

We had a lot of creativity in the MON years....Young, Milner and Downing. Our home form was better then but it wasn't as outstanding compared to the likes of Spurs and Man. City. In MON's four seasons we only even managed to win 10/19 once.

I actually think Villa Park is just a nice venue for visiting teams. A big wide open pitch (it's bigger than Goodison), nice dressing rooms and not a hostile atmosphere like you'll get at somewhere like Stoke. Plus a glaring lack of creativity in the middle of the pitch.

The top teams have loved coming here for years....Man. United not lost here since 1995, Arsenal since 1998 and Liverpool 1 defeat since that year. It's embarrassing when you think we've been in and around the top 6 for half of the last 15 years.

Even teams who used to have dreadful records at VP like Everton and Spurs are now coming here and winning regularly.

It's just too comfortable a venue generally for visiting teams.

• Like 3

There never seems to be players moving into space.

I think our pitch is too big, its very wide and we would do a lot better on a narrower pitch IMO. Our center midfield wouldn't have to cover so much space, which would maybe enable us to play with 2 CMs and give someone else a bit more freedom.

We actually have the widest pitch in the league as far as I know, which is odd considering how narrow we play at home.

I applaud the people that support the club and go to every game through thick and thin, but part of me thinks anyone who pays hundreds of pounds a year to watch this shit deserves to be sectioned.

I watch it for free, and I still want a refund.

• Like 1

Weimann IMO is a waste of space - lacks any sort of compusure - Gabby blows hot and cold - and Benteke looks woeful at the moment. Thats our problem no one who can put the ball in the net.

Â