The Villa Park problem

bose

From experience of watching the transfer market :). Put it to u this way, can u get a quality striker for 5 million. I doubt u can and IMO a quality ACM is harder to come by than a 5 mill striker.

This seems like a very bizarre thing to say. There isn't a set amount at which you can and can't get quality players. Obviously the chances of the player being quality increase as you spend more but it isn't simply the case that you can't get a quality AM for anything less than x amount of money.

Surely if you'd been watching the transfer market you'd see that price doesn't always equal quality?

Many posters are saying lets get an ACM but where from and who? Not even Man Utd have one! Gary Gardner hopefully will develop into one but we need patience.

Shinji-Kagawa.jpg

Has he scored yet this season?

For Japan, yes. Has he played yet this season? Barely. You can't dispute his class. I would genuinely donate my left bollock to have him in the Villa team for five years.

• Like 1

If you look at our home record since January, it is not tooo bad. Its not that great either but not as bad as some think. I believe we have played 16 Premier League matches this year. We have won 5, draw 2 and lost 9. Of those defeats 2 have been Liverpool, 1 from Chelsea, 1 from Spurs, and 1 from Everton. 2 of those defeats v southampton and newcastle were in the dark days of last january, so I would say the home form has been in a steady upward pattern from then on. We are yet again seem set up for away matches and as Danny Murphy said on MOTD due to the big pitch away  players seem to enjoy playing at Villa Park. We just need to keep our home form respectable, be decent away and we  should be looking for midtable this year.

Danny Murphy mentioned in the understandably brief analysis of the game yesterday that "it's a big pitch there" and also that mentally it's started to affect the players a bit.

If he can work it out I imagine opposition managers can aswell, certainly we struggled against Spurs who played with width and they've been nothing special against other teams.

If I was in charge I'd look at narrowing the pitch tbh if it was possible, you really need to be making Villa Park as unpleasant for visiting teams as possible and just seems counter productive to me we don't really use width anymore and yet we have one of the biggest pitches in the league. It might only be a few yards but it probably makes a difference.

Danny Murphy mentioned in the understandably brief analysis of the game yesterday that "it's a big pitch there" and also that mentally it's started to affect the players a bit.

If he can work it out I imagine opposition managers can aswell, certainly we struggled against Spurs who played with width and they've been nothing special against other teams.

If I was in charge I'd look at narrowing the pitch tbh if it was possible, you really need to be making Villa Park as unpleasant for visiting teams as possible and just seems counter productive to me we don't really use width anymore and yet we have one of the biggest pitches in the league. It might only be a few yards but it probably makes a difference.

Maybe HairyHands can give us an idea on whether the pitch dimensions has been looked at, and why we have it so wide when we're not playing with wingers?

• Like 2

I'm not blaming the fans, as what is served up is just dross occasion after occasion, but the atmosphere around Villa Park is sometimes really really defeatist. Our away fans are genuinely one of the best sets in the league, I just scratch my head as to why that can't be recreated in the league.

Get safe standing in ASAP and get Villa Park rocking (easier said than done when we play as badly as we did today). Going to VP would be far more justifiable at £20 a ticket than £30-£40. Considering how little impact gate receipts have on income in the modern game due to TV money etc, you'd think Randy would just put a well-publicised blanket £20 ticket price in place just to get bums on seats and improve the atmosphere. Guarantee that improving the atmosphere through this way would be in the long-run more beneficial to the club's coffers because we'd win more games with bigger, louder crowds behind us.

http://www.fsf.org.uk/campaigns/away-fans/score-campaign-twentys-plenty-for-away-tickets/

This should be campaigned for both home and away. Gate receipts are virtually meaningless.

Put it into perspective: we play a home game every fortnight, Shay Given gets 100k a fortnight. Assuming that (with concessions) the club receives an average of £25 a game per fan, that's over 10% of our gate receipts' income going straight into our reserve goalkeeper's pocket. Then there's the rest...

Point is, reducing ticket prices substantially would in my opinion be massively in the interests not only of the fans of course, but also the club's achievements on the pitch and thus prize/TV money.

ticket prices at villa are already one of the cheapest. I'm not sure its the price I just think people don't want to spend their afternoon watching villa. Even with over 40k at villa it can be really quiet, take liverpool first home game for instance

I completely agree with you build a bigger stadium charge 20 quid and fill it.

even if it was 20quid for everywhere in ground we would not fill it. Its the quality of football why people won't turn up. Our ground is already to big for us let alone making it bigger. Results and performance play a huge factor in what crowds we get at villa

Atmosphere doesn't matter....you can't say the crowd volume is better at Old Trafford, Emirates and Man. City but these teams have outstanding records at home as they have top quality players who can score and unlock tight defences. We really don't.

Maybe HairyHands can give us an idea on whether the pitch dimensions has been looked at, and why we have it so wide when we're not playing with wingers?

I thought that all PL pitches this season had to be identical in size unless the construction of the ground made it impossible?

Yeah, everyone's going on about having an ACM but if we had the Benteke and Weimann we had last season I doubt you'd be quite as bothered. I feel a bit sorry for Lambert because he's addressed the main area of weakness last season (letting in goals all the time) but our strikers appear to have lost their shooting boots in the meantime.

I thought that all PL pitches this season had to be identical in size unless the construction of the ground made it impossible?

By jove, looks like you're right!

Pitch dimensions

Â