Did You Like ABBA?

Morpheus

When it comes to perfect records Abba made quite a few.

When I consider the combination of great songs, superb production, chilling harmonies and the fact that they were never quite hip, I would be waiting for the cock to crow if I was to disavow the pleasure they gave me.

Kitsch and never cool but everything a pop group should be.

I agree but they were by the same token, never for me. Had better tunes than the Beatles though ;)

and they did of course give rise to this KLF album being withdrawn from the shelves

• Like 1

When I consider the combination of great songs, superb production, chilling harmonies and the fact that they were never quite hip, I would be waiting for the cock to crow if I was to disavow the pleasure they gave me.

Kitsch and never cool but everything a pop group should be.

I agree but they were by the same token, never for me. Had better tunes than the Beatles though ;)

and they did of course give rise to this KLF album being withdrawn from the shelves

Didn't Elvis nick the piano from Dancing Queen for Oliver's Army?

And come to think of it I would probably have put Dancing Queen on my songs that make you cry list.

There is definitely an undercurrent of Scandinavian melancholy in most of what they did.

Edited by MakemineVanilla

You've finally crossed the line, Morpheus.

Ha, ha. Yeah mate I've finally come out. ;)

Its an old cliche I know but I spent several years with mates going to a local cafe just to listen to ABBA on a duke box with one of those old bottles of Fanta as a treat and if we were really lucky accompanied by half a chip. Those mates also included members of the opposite sex. ;)

Being a musician and a rubbish song writer I still marvel at how good ABBA's melodies were and how difficult their songs are to cover properly due to the difficult and fantastic harmonies. Just think a lot of their songs are very underated.

• Like 1

No, my mum had them constantly on the stereo when I was younger, so now I **** despise them.

I can see your point and how that would grate. As long as your mum didn't try and dress you up in an ABBA outfit. That really would have made me very jealous indeed. :D

Yeah it's weird. I could happily put ABBA on and sing along to every song.

Totally agree Stefan. I was in a rotten mood yesterday and I noted ABBA's greatest hits on one of Sky's music channels. Watched it and was uplifted back to being a miserable sod.

First time round I disliked them, because they were so commercial, and impossible to escape. And for rock fans like me it was fashionable to sneer at them. 

Later, I appreciated how good they were. Suddenly it was OK to like them, too. 

Now, I've heard them too much, and want to avoid them again. 

• Like 3

Too young first time around.

On the surface it's simplistic and catchy, mana for the masses.

Though it's sculpted pop, as opposed to the manufactured gear, and suffers dissection.

You can hear everything, clearly, and there's some pretty spaced out stuff going on. Phase effects and non automated synth filter sweeps get me excited.

I'd love to hear the multitracks, dropping out the vox and some of the signature motifs would be really interesting.

Well written, wonderfully played, well produced.

SOS is so brilliant, it's frightening.

• Like 1

Â