Did You Like ABBA?

Morpheus

I have always loved ABBA yet i still don't know what i am.  :D

Well how do you feel when you look at your uncle?   :P

Dunno mate as he is a tranny.

I swear you live inside a John Waters movie Morpheus :D

• Like 1

I just remembered that as a kid I took a real disliking to ABBA. Not for their music but for the fact somebody (I'm still guessing my sister) thought it would be funny to play about with the settings on the video recorder so that when I came to watch my recording of WCW Monday Nitro (1997 so it was still good) instead I got a VH1 documentary on ABBA.

• Like 2

when I came to watch my recording of WCW Monday Nitro (1997 so it was still good) instead I got a VH1 documentary on ABBA.

Yeah, who wants to watch a bunch of long-haired softies prancing around?

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

BBC4 had an interesting documentary on them. One of the more interesting musical soap operas, when you realise that something like the Winner Takes It All is autobiographical...

Made me consider purchasing a copy of "The Visitors". 

I've had a lot of down time at work this week so I've been trawling through OT threads in my spare time (which I have a lot of). Have to say I enjoyed the hell out of this thread. Some great insight and discussion about how great suffering leads to great art (true of comedy also). Stefan and Morpheus agreeing on something. All in a thread about a band that I don't have a lot of feeling for one way or another.

I have a specific memory about ABBA, or actually just about the song "Dancing Queen." It was played at my brother's wedding reception. All the women in the wedding party -- bridesmaids, flower girls, mothers of the bride and groom, various sisters, etc. -- plus for some reason my cousin Steve (who I guess just digs ABBA) danced in a big circle around my sister-in-law, and she danced with reckless abandon in the center of the circle. It was one of the most spontaneous outpourings of joy I've ever witnessed. As a result I have become a big fan of the song.

I'm surprised this thead managed to last five pages since November with no one else posting these two clips:

Edit: having trouble embedding YouTube videos all of a sudden.

Edited by heid3ster
  • Like 3

• 7 months later...

I was honestly shocked to see how well regarded they are upon reading this thread.

Imagine if Abba never existed and an über cheesey group came out now with exactly the same songs. They would be despised.

Imagine if Abba never existed and an über cheesey group came out now with exactly the same songs. They would be despised.

If the songs were performed by your bog standard boy/girl group with regular pop backing - Aye.

If Abba magically appeared 30 odd years later, they'd be big now.

Their records were so well made and they delivered live.

• Like 1

Â