Transfer Speculation (Winter 2014)

Richard

Lambert loves Chesterfield doesn't he?!

Anyone actually think we might resurrect interest in Kiyoate? I notice Nuremburg are having a terrible season in the Bundesliga, 2nd bottom I believe so not sure one of the lesser lights of german football can really keep a player in that situation tbh. Plus obviously it's 6 months on from the summer so his contract is startin to run down so the fee will be lower, maybe below 10m now.

Possible, how has he been playing individually?

As for Darikwa, he's been linked to Man United a bit lately eh, Moyes personally went and watched him not long ago apparently..

Anyone have an idea about Kiyotake's season so far?

I don't think many people actually knew much about him when we were linked with him in the summer yet he was supposed to be the mythical missing piece of the puzzle.

It's mostly just wishful hope rather than reality.

I would hope in January that the so called 'squad filling' will now stop and we'll see a little bit more of the finished article coming to Villa Park in the positions needed rather than signing players who have the potential to come good in two or three seasons time?

• Like 1

I would hope in January that the so called 'squad filling' will now stop and we'll see a little bit more of the finished article coming to Villa Park in the positions needed rather than signing players who have the potential to come good in two or three seasons time?

Bit of a strange comment this as the "squad filling" has brought quite a few players that have come in and made an almost immediate impact. I've seen managers bring in mainly "finished articles" and have to wait far longer than this for a lot of their signings to come good, if they even come good at all.

Edited by Mantis

No I'd much rather that impact be better than one relegation battle and a home record to be ashamed of.

That's a completely different issue. I fail to see what that has to do with this?

No it's completely relevant to the type and quality of players signed by Lambert. Are you saying that Lambert's signings had nothing to do with our performances last or this season?

Very good point. Whilst I don't expect us to be signing "the finished article" I'd like to see players that are nearing their potential.

Taking a snapshot of a bigger project is counterproductive IMO. But that's being covered in many other threads so I'm loathe to bring it in here too. To get back on topic I'll only use Leandro Bacuna as an example of someone who was probably viewed as a squad filler by the fans in the summer and who is now arguably one of the first names on the team sheet. Ultimately, regarding the signings being made, it only matters whether we trust Lambert's judgement or not and I do.

• Like 2

My referrence to 'squad fillers' BOF was really in answering several posters who had used the point that due to Lambert having a limited budget rather than spending that budget on one or two players with known quality he had to re-build the squad with potential and hence my comments.

My referrence to 'squad fillers' BOF was really in answering several posters who had used the point that due to Lambert having a limited budget rather than spending that budget on one or two players with known quality he had to re-build the squad with potential and hence my comments.

Ah right so you are more hoping that our relatively small budget, instead of having to go on 4, 5 or 6 players in the past Lambert windows to bulk up the squad can now be spent on maybe 1 or 2 players and their transfer price increase by that extent. On that we agree. Although that brings with it the issue of wages. The dearer players requiring higher wages and that's a whole other wasps nest that only RL/PF/PL can answer. Fingers crossed :)

Ah right so you are more hoping that our relatively small budget, instead of having to go on 4, 5 or 6 players in the past Lambert windows to bulk up the squad can now be spent on maybe 1 or 2 players and their transfer price increase by that extent. On that we agree. Although that brings with it the issue of wages. The dearer players requiring higher wages and that's a whole other wasps nest that only RL/PF/PL can answer. Fingers crossed :)

And with a relatively low wage structure, what would potentiallyt throwing a £50k a week or even a £35-40k a week player into the mix do to team morale? Especially when a player like Bacuna, who is probably on around £10k or so a week, is performing very well.

A lot of dilemmas for Lambert et al to take on board really, although I agree that I hope we spend our budget on 1 or 2 players rather than a whole bunch, usually you would say it would give you a better chance of finding somebody with quality.

I'm biased but I'd like to give Aron Johannsson a shout. Fits the policy

Bias aside, he is a good striker who can play in multiple positions. Sticking with American strikers, Jozy Altidore still hasn't officially scored for Sunderland. I wonder if he will remain there next season even if they stay up. From what little I saw of him at AZ, Maher really helped Altidore have that ridiculous goal scoring season. Altidore needs to stop playing for awful premiership clubs. He does well for the United States.

I would've liked Altidore over the summer. I think he would've been in a good position to fill in for Benteke and eventually replace him, but he's been pants at Sunderland. With Benteke and Kozak now here, I don't expect him to be happy sitting on the bench with a pecking order of strikers ahead of him since he can only play the target man role.

Aron, on the other hand, would be a good versatile, young player

And with a relatively low wage structure, what would potentiallyt throwing a £50k a week or even a £35-40k a week player into the mix do to team morale? Especially when a player like Bacuna, who is probably on around £10k or so a week, is performing very well.

A lot of dilemmas for Lambert et al to take on board really, although I agree that I hope we spend our budget on 1 or 2 players rather than a whole bunch, usually you would say it would give you a better chance of finding somebody with quality.

That's another possible concern that goes with what we're doing alright. Again, it all boils down to Lambert's judgement and knowing how the lads would react. I think it'd be fine though. Usually once there's quality coming into a squad, people are happy and can often raise their game. For example, Arsenal seem to have 10 new better players since Özil signed. Similarly, when Benteke returned from injury for the 30 minutes against Spurs it was like we made 11 substitutions, not 1.

I'm biased but I'd like to give Aron Johannsson a shout. Fits the policy

Bias aside, he is a good striker who can play in multiple positions. Sticking with American strikers, Jozy Altidore still hasn't officially scored for Sunderland. I wonder if he will remain there next season even if they stay up. From what little I saw of him at AZ, Maher really helped Altidore have that ridiculous goal scoring season. Altidore needs to stop playing for awful premiership clubs. He does well for the United States.
I would've liked Altidore over the summer. I think he would've been in a good position to fill in for Benteke and eventually replace him, but he's been pants at Sunderland. With Benteke and Kozak now here, I don't expect him to be happy sitting on the bench with a pecking order of strikers ahead of him since he can only play the target man role.

Aron, on the other hand, would be a good versatile, young player

I have never bought into Jozy. He has all the physical skills, strength/bit of pace/size, but he has never really put it together short of a confederations cup now 4 years gone and a season in a lower league.

I believe it will never happen for him at a bigger level. I am happy for him to prove me wrong, though.

I think you'll get that next summer, but January will probably be a bit more bargain basement stopgapping/diamond in the rough hunting

• Like 1

Lambert loves Chesterfield doesn't he?!

Anyone actually think we might resurrect interest in Kiyoate? I notice Nuremburg are having a terrible season in the Bundesliga, 2nd bottom I believe so not sure one of the lesser lights of german football can really keep a player in that situation tbh. Plus obviously it's 6 months on from the summer so his contract is startin to run down so the fee will be lower, maybe below 10m now.

Possible, how has he been playing individually?

As for Darikwa, he's been linked to Man United a bit lately eh, Moyes personally went and watched him not long ago apparently..

Anyone have an idea about Kiyotake's season so far?

I don't think many people actually knew much about him when we were linked with him in the summer yet he was supposed to be the mythical missing piece of the puzzle.

It's mostly just wishful hope rather than reality.

Yeah, and I still don't know much about him. :(

Edited by AVTuco

That's another possible concern that goes with what we're doing alright. Again, it all boils down to Lambert's judgement and knowing how the lads would react. I think it'd be fine though. Usually once there's quality coming into a squad, people are happy and can often raise their game. For example, Arsenal seem to have 10 new better players since Özil signed. Similarly, when Benteke returned from injury for the 30 minutes against Spurs it was like we made 11 substitutions, not 1.

I feel like the ozil effect has been way overblown. arsenal smacked Fulham fenerbahce and beat spurs prior to the transfer, and guys like Giroud, Ramsey etc were already playing well. Ozil helped because he's a great player, but I don't think it's because his signing has made szczesny play better in goal.

Â