Transfer Speculation (Winter 2014)

Richard

Loans can become permanent. We all knew REALLY how this was gunna play out.

They certainly can.However I think if Bertrand continues to do well for us he will turn out to be another Walker. Chelsea will have him back especially as Cole may well not be there next season. Either that or if he is available we certainly won't be the only club in for him and then it would be a case of could we compete with others fee and wages wise. Its almost a case of you want him to do well here whilst on loan but not too well so Chelsea don't won't him back or others are queuing up for him.

Given our current finances I wouldn't rule out Holt being made permanent though.

As much as I rate Bertrand he will not become Chelsea's No.1 LB like Walker became for Spurs.

And I definitely can't see Holt becoming permanent. Why would he? He's just cover for the injured Kozak.

Edited by Mantis
  • Like 1

They should do away with the January window. Signings are usually shite and short sighted, players get unsettled mid season and everyone gets in a hissy if we don't have a "good enough" window, which totally sucks out any positive attitude that the club may be experiencing, especially recently whilst we've had good form.

• Like 1

I'm not a big fan of Lambert but I wanted him backed. Yet his biggest supporters have no problems with him getting piss poor amounts in the transfer market. And funnily enough those same supporters who have no problem with the piss poor backing have used the piss poor backing to say what a great job Lambert is doing and to excuse some poor performances and results.

That's strange, you can't turn round and say its not the managers fault he hasn't been backed and then take no issue with the fact he's not being backed. That makes no sense at all. Really it just shows a small group who like to have a go at anybody with a negative opinion of any part of the club.

• Like 1

As much as I rate Bertrand he will not become Chelsea's No.1 LB like Walker became for Spurs.

And I definitely can't see Kozak becoming permanent. Why would he? He's just cover for the injured Kozak.

Kozakception

Its hard not to look at the transfer window as anything other than a disappointment. No permanent signings, two players on loan but only one of those improves our first 11.

I'd like to think we have enough to stay up. Certainly our recent performances against Arsenal, Liverpool and West Brom would suggest we have. However it is only 4 weeks ago we were on a very poor run both results and performance wise. Therefore if we can maintain recent form we'll be fine and if not and we revert back to how we were playing beforehand then we could get sucked back in.

Really though we shouldn't just be looking at all this and be saying we have enough to stay up. There comes a point when that isn't enough. I'd have liked us to have brought in one or two permanent signings this window that could have put down a marker that we are now really looking to kick on and want to be looking upwards and not behind us. We have failed in that for me.

I very much think Holt will be signed on a permanent if Lambert is still here come the summer

Edited by sne

Well I will judge this window based on whether we get relegated (which we shouldn't) or not. Time will tell.

Survive on the cheap. Its what I've always hoped for.

I don't think it's what anyone hopes for, just that some accept it easier than others.

I myself sit somewhere in between not bothered, gutted, and slightly glad we didn't sign an over the hill "pro" on silly wages.

Would be nice to understand the clubs future plans though as 4 windows of cutbacks, whilst not strengthening in key areas, is a worry.

I'm not a big fan of Lambert but I wanted him backed. Yet his biggest supporters have no problems with him getting piss poor amounts in the transfer market. And funnily enough those same supporters who have no problem with the piss poor backing have used the piss poor backing to say what a great job Lambert is doing and to excuse some poor performances and results.

That's strange, you can't turn round and say its not the managers fault he hasn't been backed and then take no issue with the fact he's not being backed. That makes no sense at all. Really it just shows a small group who like to have a go at anybody with a negative opinion of any part of the club.

I don't think people have no problems with him not being backed, just being realistic and understanding we can't have done much else this window if he's not been backed.

Well I will judge this window based on whether we get relegated (which we shouldn't) or not. Time will tell.

I'd advise you to give it til the summer window is closed. I'm no fan of Lerner but I can understand why we wouldn't sign anyone of note in January as it's really not the time.  I can't think of any good value deals that I have seen going through in this window so that shows how hard it is to sign quality long term players in January for a decent price.  Hopefully things will improve in the summer and our manager will be backed properly, if not then not only can I see the fans turning on Lerner but I can also see Lambert walking as he must be getting sick of this shit as well.  

• Like 1

I don't think it's what anyone hopes for, just that some accept it easier than others.

I myself sit somewhere in between not bothered, gutted, and slightly glad we didn't sign an over the hill "pro" on silly wages.

Would be nice to understand the clubs future plans though as 4 windows of cutbacks, whilst not strengthening in key areas, is a worry.

There isn't a middle ground. It simply doesn't exist. What are you on about?

Things I could have done whilst this non productive transfer window day day ticked away;

Well I could have continued with my FIFA quest to get Scunthorpe into the Champions League for a start,

Interesting that  "Scunthorpe" contains the name of the Norwich chairman.

• Like 2

Its hard not to look at the transfer window as anything other than a disappointment. No permanent signings, two players on loan but only one of those improves our first 11.

I'd like to think we have enough to stay up. Certainly our recent performances against Arsenal, Liverpool and West Brom would suggest we have. However it is only 4 weeks ago we were on a very poor run both results and performance wise. Therefore if we can maintain recent form we'll be fine and if not and we revert back to how we were playing beforehand then we could get sucked back in.

Really though we shouldn't just be looking at all this and be saying we have enough to stay up. There comes a point when that isn't enough. I'd have liked us to have brought in one or two permanent signings this window that could have put down a marker that we are now really looking to kick on and want to be looking upwards and not behind us. We have failed in that for me.

I very much think Holt will be signed on a permanent if Lambert is still here come the summer

I really hope not, the guy will be 33 and would hope we have our expectations set much higher.

I was not expecting much from this window. January is a bad time to buy, it is usually the `big' teams with money to burn and the relegation strugglers who buy at this time.

However, money must be made available in the summer window and better players brought in, or my support for Lerner/Lambert will wane.

By the end of the summer window I think they will have had enough time for me to be able to make an informed decision.

Fair enough people are disappointed. Me too. I think we could really push on with a couple of PL quality midfielders but in the end I think Lambert had made the decision to keep the faith with his squad rather than sign players for the sake of it. Yes the potential for injury is a worry but at this point we look to be in pretty decent shape especially with Andi and the Beast returning to form.

Other teams below us have bought big but that is no guarantee of anything. QPR went ballistic in Jan last year and still went down, as did Newcastle who escaped by the skin of their teeth.

There is something to be said for a tight, together squad working together towards the same goal.

• Like 3

Why do people think Holt will be signed permanently? Is it purely because Holt played under Lambert under Norwich?

This is one of the big reasons ,yes. And it's also the only reason he's with us now.

Â