Transfer Speculation (Winter 2014)

Richard

With regard to the Bent signing. I still find it remarkable that a squad of players that had just had our best season in years, less Milner but with the addition of Ireland, found itself in a position where the manager/owner felt we needed to fork out the best part of 30 mill on Bent and Makoun in January to stave off relegation.

It was still a decent squad at that stage containing Young, Downing, Carew, Petrov, Gabby, Friedel, Dunne, Luke Young and others, although not rated by some and arguably over paid, that could comfortably hold their own/had proven themselves at Prem level in Collins, Reo Coker, Heskey, Ireland and Cuellar.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 2

There have been some very good and big transfers in January down the yrs.. Suarez, Vidic, Young etc... If the clubs want the player a deal can always be worked out... Now I'm not expecting anything of that magnitude, but if the manager has identified one-three targets in one position that is needed then it is down to the money men to sort out to ensure that the team progresses.

Edited by mikeyp102

With regard to the Bent signing. I still find it remarkable that a squad of players that had just had our best season in years, less Milner but with the addition of Ireland, found itself in a position where we needed to fork out the best part of 30 mill on Bent and Makoun in January to stave off relegation.

It was still a decent squad at that stage containing Young, Downing, Carew, Petrov, Gabby, Friedel, Dunne, Luke Young and others, although not rated by some and arguably over paid, that could comfortably hold their own/had proven themselves at Prem level in Collins, Reo Coker, Heskey, Ireland and Cuellar.

That isn't really what we're talking about though.

Besides, we finished 9th in the end anyway.

Not worth it as I've said. That £18m easily could've been better spent on players that kept Villa up. It was a poor use of the money.

And how do you know that? All we know is that we spent £18m on Bent and we stayed up.

That's a bad justification. "We could've made even worse signings that would've sent us down, so making a poor signing that kept us up was smart."

He wasn't a poor signing - he kept us up which was the whole point.

At least I have a justification to begin with.

Edited by Mantis
  • Like 1

However I did read that Sergio Canales has been targeted on loan by Fulham. I would think Valencia may even prefer to sell him if an offer was to come in. They may ask for more money than he is currently worth though.

So?

Point being if they ask for £10m it wouldn't be considered. For £4-6m though...

Canales is a funny one, I don't even think he is worth taking the risk at even £6m or a loan, when he first broke through at Racing he was very good infact i'd say one he was one of the best prospects at the time.

Move to Madrid didn't work out due to injuries and well Mourinho wasn't going to use him.

At Valencia he again had horrible long term injuries, hasn't really done much (very inconsistent) and it's quite telling how he isn't getting in to the team despite Valencia's problems.

Quite lightweight and seems quite injury prone.

Maybe if he was to go a club like Everton under Martinez he might regain some form and show what he is capable of.

It's a big risk though, certainly I would suggest we look elsewhere.

Edited by dudevillaisnice

"Is it 11:00 pm friday 31 Jan 2014?" It is unless you are Arsenal villa-revolution. Wes is counting down the minutes at Defoe's usual hotel or has he moved to the Villa Park car park already?   

"Is it 11:00 pm friday 31 Jan 2014?" It is unless you are Arsenal villa-revolution. Wes is counting down the minutes at Defoe's usual hotel or has he moved to the Villa Park car park already?   

Ha ha - Nice one John. I knew I could count on you. Already looking forward to your West Brom post match analysis & who knows you might have a bit of juicy speculation to throw in too.

"& who knows you might have a bit of juicy speculation to throw in too" - I will leave that to those in the know and just look forward to giving ratings on something other than a home defeat for a change. Although that said I will still be looking to see if Messi is at the game sitting alongside Lord Lucan (Randy).  

is this January going to be any more expensive than this summer?

its world cup year, most players going to the world cup will increase in price come summer time, most players will be harder to sign as they will be with their national squads and in brasil, they will also get more time off after the world cup so wont be ready for the start of the new season.

don't see why we don't do half our summer buying now, if they are players who may be going to the world cup then their values are hardly likely to go down.

I say get 3 or 4 players in now and pay the 10 -20% extra, an extra 4 places up the table would help cover the costs

summer time the excuses will be ' I wanted player x but they had a great world cup, the prices quoted sent me dizzy' or some other reason.

signing players is always a risk, however signing good players is less risky and if lambert has his targets , get them or try to get them now to give us the best chance of cementing midtable this year and giving the players time to settle in, buy a place close to the training ground and be ready for next season.

• Like 2

Bent wasn't a good signing. For that price multiple quality players could've been brought in that would've both helped the club stay up and helped in the long term. He was a waste of money.

I wonder if you had that opinion of Bent during the summer after he saved us from relegation. I very much doubt it.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but it is a fairly strong argument to say that Bent saved us over £100m due to the fact his goals kept us in the league. Most other signings don't come close to generating that kind of revenue.

• Like 1

People seeing it that way is fine. If this was the summer, I'd be much more concerned as well.

Not paying over the odds for a gamble in January though? Not too fussed.

So do you not trust Lambert to find decent players?

He found Benteke and Kozak as the only real examples of him spending "proper money" - Benteke is an absolute hit and Kozak, whilst nowhere near as good, has something about him and can find the net.

With regards to budget players, he realised the mistake we'd made in releasing Guzan and brought in Vlaar, Okore (shame about the injury) and Bacuna (and also Bertrand on loan who looks solid) all of which I think are good to very good signings.  Lowton and Sylla contributed well last season too, although have dipped this time round.  However, we've also seen some misses - Luna, Tonev, El Ahmadi and Bennett in my opinion.  Aside from El Ahmadi, these are young enough to learn and/or sell on for a fee.  Tonev is the mystery as there's definitely a player in there somewhere but we're yet to have seen it.

So, in short, yes - I do trust Lambert to find decent players and I think he'd do a good job if he had the money to spend.  You're more than welcome to point the finger of blame at Lerner this window if you want but, in my opinion and as a general rule of thumb, the spending should be done in the summer.  If we don't spend in the region of £15/20m this summer I'll be worried.  Furthermore, that £15/20m would "only" need to go on 3 £7m~ ish players to be a big improvement on the team and I think Lambert has shown with Benteke/Okore that he can find decent players within that region.  Time will tell I suppose.

Edited by bobzy
  • Like 2

So, in short, yes - I do trust Lambert to find decent players and I think he'd do a good job if he had the money to spend

So why do you think we'd have to pay over the odds on a gamble this window then? Is Lambert not capable of signing good players worth the money this window?

So, in short, yes - I do trust Lambert to find decent players and I think he'd do a good job if he had the money to spend

So why do you think we'd have to pay over the odds on a gamble this window then? Is Lambert not capable of signing good players worth the money this window?

I don't think this needs explaining, but buying players in January is an expensive business.  People don't want to let go of their talent in the middle of the season so there's very little value for money out there - something which we need to be particularly cautious with.

Why don't you understand this?

Adel Taarabt told he has no future at Fulham. Will be sent back to QPR. Anyone take him here until the end of the season?

God no.  Lazy, selfish, greedy player.  Great individual on his day but offers very little else and his attitude isn't worth the hassle.  If Fulham don't want him, that speaks volumes.  Q.P.R. can keep him.

Â