Transfer Speculation (Winter 2014)

Richard

I see both Mails have us linked with Leigh Griffiths of Wolves.

AAaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrggggggghhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!

Surely not. Two reasons (at least)

1. When have Villa ever had a decent Scottish striker? B)

2. He's hardly a looker and therefore wouldn't compliment our dashing bunch of handsome devils.

He's off to Celtic according to Lennon

In the last 3 January transfer windows we've signed.

Keane, Dawkins, holt and Bertrand all on loan.

And signed Stevens and Sylla.

That's pretty **** awful.

yes but I think it's fair to say that the intention has always been to do the majority of business in summer. McLeish spent big on N'Zogbia, Given & Hutton; while Lambert has brought in 7 or 8 in both of his summers.

in fact, throughout Lerner's reign the only times we've spent big in January are in Houllier's reign where Bent was signed to keep us up and O'Neill's first season with Carew and Young (as he had not had much time in the summer to buy players).

never expected us to spend much this January as we're not in a position that requires panic. suspect we'll see Hoolahan sign on deadline day: a relatively cheap addition and a couple of loans would be par for previous January windows.

1. When have Villa ever had a decent Scottish striker?   B)

2. He's hardly a looker and therefore wouldn't compliment our dashing bunch of handsome devils.

In answer to your first question turnbull, how about Andy Gray. A Scottish striker we bought from Dundee Utd reserves for £110k. I think he was very decent for us.

I knew that, one of my fave players, I was just being silly!! (Chose the wrong smiley)

1. When have Villa ever had a decent Scottish striker? B)

He's off to Celtic according to Lennon

Praise the lord.

In short the january window 90% of everyones deals are terrible. Seems to be managers just getting numbers in, n'gog to swansea for example is just absolutely baffling.

Take your factual reasoning elsewhere you numpty, this is a thread for dreams of messi ;-)

yes but I think it's fair to say that the intention has always been to do the majority of business in summer. McLeish spent big on N'Zogbia, Given & Hutton; while Lambert has brought in 7 or 8 in both of his summers.

in fact, throughout Lerner's reign the only times we've spent big in January are in Houllier's reign where Bent was signed to keep us up and O'Neill's first season with Carew and Young (as he had not had much time in the summer to buy players).

never expected us to spend much this January as we're not in a position that requires panic. suspect we'll see Hoolahan sign on deadline day: a relatively cheap addition and a couple of loans would be par for previous January windows.

I think you're being too rational it's a transfer window and anything other than hysteria and outright rage are not allowed. So just to join this... I can't believe we haven't gone and got Pennant on a free can't we compete with the Job Centre!!!

• Like 1

Keane did a job, Holt and Bertrand could do a job and Sylla was decent back end of last season.  Whilst there's nothing there to inspire, that's probably because January is a crap month for transfers on the whole.  See; Darren Bent.

This is bang on the money. 

Lambert you are a useless clearing in the woods.

This is ridiculous.

I think you're being too rational it's a transfer window and anything other than hysteria and outright rage are not allowed. So just to join this... I can't believe we haven't gone and got Pennant on a free can't we compete with the Job Centre!!!

If we take Pennant on loan from the Job Centre do we have to subsidise his jobseekers allowance? 

Edited by jasoncb
  • Like 1

Keane did a job, Holt and Bertrand could do a job and Sylla was decent back end of last season.  Whilst there's nothing there to inspire, that's probably because January is a crap month for transfers on the whole.  See; Darren Bent.

Who single handedly kept us up, Ashley Young, John Carew ... all completely crap January acquisitions 

Lambert you are a useless clearing in the woods.

Proper fan right there.

Seems perfectly logical to me. My opinion of him hasn't changed for about a year. He's a useless clearing in the woods

How does that make me any less of a 'proper fan' than you oh great one ?

Who single handedly kept us up, Ashley Young, John Carew ... all completely crap January acquisitions 

Ashley Young and John Carew were basically the exception to the rule as Lerner only took over the club in September (I think?) 2006 meaning we didn't have a proper transfer window to splash that initial cash (Carew was a swap deal for Baros anyway, wasn't he?).

Darren Bent was instrumental in both keeping us up and dumping us in the financial pile of doo doo that have since transpired to be in.  Are you honestly saying £18m and rising for Darren Bent is a good January acquisition and something to base future signings on?

To be fair the purchase of Bent that January was a smart move because it greatly contributed to keeping us up that season and thus probably paid off long term. It was a particularly exceptional set of circumstances though.

• Like 3

Â