Transfer Speculation (Winter 2014)

Richard

I think it's hoolahan or nothing. Either way a pretty shit window when you think some have told us about 'the plan' to spend again.

Can you clarify what you mean exactly? Who said what and why are you measuring your expectation against what some random person on the internet said?

• Like 3

A DM is important for me though, I'm not saying Delph is a AM but he does have the abilities when going forward. Watching the replay of the Liverpool game and the trickery he got is sometimes amazing. Unfortunately he never gets the chance to do it near the opponents 18 yard box and many of the occasions he has lost ball is because of the amount of players in midfield. As soon as he gets past one theres always another very near to pick up the ball. A perfect example is there to see in the Liverpool match, got passed Gerrard by ease and then comes Lucas to pick up the ball. With a bit more space and I'm sure he can open the opponents defensive line and create chances!

Also paid a lot of attention to Grant Holts way of playing. He surprised the Liverpool back four with clever touches and one lovely back heel during the game. He has that calmness in his game witch I presume comes with his experience. Weiman loves one touch passes and therefore looses the ball in may occasions while Holty picks it up, hold up the play and take look around. If now one found in a attacking position then he just passes the ball to either Delph or Westwood with a simple pass.

Got a question regarding Frimpong, has anybody here seen him play? I've asked some of my Arsenal players and the only good thing they talked about was his "funny circus", witch I saw written here as well, but that he does have talent when manages to remain fit. Looking forward to these coming days, for some reason I feel very optimistic and happy as I think PL has something secret, as always, going on!  UTV. 

I have seen Frimpong play several times over the last four years RAMTIN.

He does have a lot of talent and once he learns to pace himself, he will not get injured as much, or as badly.

Comparing players is difficult because everyone see's something different when watching a player.

Take NRC as an example, most thought him a waste of space, while I and a few others recognised what he actually did.

Frimpong could become a big name player but, not for a few years in the position he has been playing in.

A DM is important for me though, I'm not saying Delph is a AM but he does have the abilities when going forward. Watching the replay of the Liverpool game and the trickery he got is sometimes amazing. Unfortunately he never gets the chance to do it near the opponents 18 yard box and many of the occasions he has lost ball is because of the amount of players in midfield. As soon as he gets past one theres always another very near to pick up the ball. A perfect example is there to see in the Liverpool match, got passed Gerrard by ease and then comes Lucas to pick up the ball. With a bit more space and I'm sure he can open the opponents defensive line and create chances!

So should we start asking the Premier League to stipulate rules to give Delph enough space to show how brilliant he is? :blink:

I think you will find Delph just runs into people and loses the ball on his own.

• Like 1

So should we start asking the Premier League to stipulate rules to give Delph enough space to show how brilliant he is? :blink:

I think you will find Delph just runs into people and loses the ball on his own.

I think he means if he plays higher up when he beats a man which he can do with ease at times he'll be through on defence rather than another row of midfield. IMO he needs to learn when and where to take people on first! Then he'll be a very good CM but I feel we need a passing AM some one to play the killer ball to keep up momentum in attack. I still think we'll get Hoolahan.

• Like 2

I think it's hoolahan or nothing. Either way a pretty shit window when you think some have told us about 'the plan' to spend again.

Can you clarify what you mean exactly? Who said what and why are you measuring your expectation against what some random person on the internet said?

The defence of our lack of spending and cut backs has been that 'the plan' is to get finances sorted and then start to challenge again.

Grant holt, a decent loaned lb and wes hoolahan hardly paints a picture of a club trying to be competitive again. In fact once again it shows a club happy to survive while keeping costs down.

I think he means if he plays higher up when he beats a man which he can do with ease at times he'll be through on defence rather than another row of midfield. IMO he needs to learn when and where to take people on first! Then he'll be a very good CM but I feel we need a passing AM some one to play the killer ball to keep up momentum in attack. I still think we'll get Hoolahan.

Good point.

The defence of our lack of spending and cut backs has been that 'the plan' is to get finances sorted and then start to challenge again.

Grant holt, a decent loaned lb and wes hoolahan hardly paints a picture of a club trying to be competitive again. In fact once again it shows a club happy to survive while keeping costs down.

Spending big in the January transfer window doesn't really fit into a well thought out plan though. If we got Hoolahan in this window I would be happy with what we have done, but I think it is now or never for him. I would expect better quality in the summer.

Man U have just spent 37m on a player.

While I do not expect us to spend on that level there have been one or two players available on loan which could have improved us further if the right level of finance had been made available.

Didn't Faulkner indicate in the radio interview that we were unlikely to be doing much business in January? I know he's not going to say we've got a huge budget. There's a few days left so you never know but little was spent 12 months ago when we were in a worse position. 

Spending big in the January transfer window doesn't really fit into a well thought out plan though. If we got Hoolahan in this window I would be happy with what we have done, but I think it is now or never for him. I would expect better quality in the summer.

Surely backing the manager is part of a thought out plan. Lambert has said he's identified 'number 10' type players and hasn't been able to do anything.

Realistically we aren't going to finish any higher than 10th this season regardless of the quality of any short term loans that could be brought in. With the loan of Bertrand and, seemingly, the return to form of Benteke, I don't think we are serious relegation material, so I'm ok with not spending now as long as it is saved for the summer rather than just never spent.

BJ10, everyone knows that players cost more in January. Would you rather we spent more money on a player now, or just waited 5 months and brought in Lambert's favoured target when the price is lower? There HAS to be a budget in place. We don't have a bottomless pit to dip into.

Surely backing the manager is part of a thought out plan. Lambert has said he's identified 'number 10' type players and hasn't been able to do anything.

Which, again, would seem to suggest to some people that the club may be being lined up for sale?

• Like 1

BJ10, everyone knows that players cost more in January. Would you rather we spent more money on a player now, or just waited 5 months and brought in Lambert's favoured target when the price is lower? There HAS to be a budget in place. We don't have a bottomless pit to dip into.

But you're assuming he's going to be fully backed next window? No one is asking for a bottomless pit but our spending is pretty pathetic.

• Like 1

Hello new member here,obvoiously not new to Villa.I don't understand the complaint about lack of movement in the this transfer window.25% of transfers during the January transfer window happen on the final day.So lets just wait and see what happens.

Â