Transfer Speculation (Winter 2014)

Richard

our midfield is dire. Anyone with a physical presence stands out. Even Sylla did last season. He may just need a run of games to get some form back. Didn't like how Sylla had 1 bad game and was dropped..yet KEA and Westwood are poor more often and keep their spots week in week out. Sylla and Gardner deserve more opportunities especially in positions that are our achilles heel.

Nah. We need to bring in another striker first.

;)

A big target man to hold the ball up would be good :blink:

our midfield is dire. Anyone with a physical presence stands out. Even Sylla did last season. He may just need a run of games to get some form back. Didn't like how Sylla had 1 bad game and was dropped..yet KEA and Westwood are poor more often and keep their spots week in week out. Sylla and Gardner deserve more opportunities especially in positions that are our achilles heel.

Nah. We need to bring in another striker first.

;)

A big target man to hold the ball up would be good :blink:

Yes, we could do with a "real man". 

• Like 1

Junior Billong seems like he has a knack for pre-empting a lot of stuff, which for all intents and purposes is already in the ether, but making it look like he's hot off the press. Its a bit of titilation, but tbh until any prospective player is pictured on the OS in a Villa shirt, it ain't happening.

What about a bid for ravel morrison (if there's any money to spend) premier league experience, quality, creative, attacking midfielder oh an he's young. Or are things that bad now we can't even compete with Fulham in the transfer market

It's not about "not being able to compete", more like he'd probably not be good value for money (English tax and all that) and his wage demands would probably be pretty high too.

According to an article in the Guardian, Morrison is on Fifteen grand a week at West Ham, but if  a club were to bid Ten Million for him then there is a clause in his contract that says his wages have to be raised to Sixty grand a week. So I'd imagine he would want pretty high wages from his next move.

Diame is the player I like at West Ham, again probably out of our league as it stands.

What about a bid for ravel morrison (if there's any money to spend) premier league experience, quality, creative, attacking midfielder oh an he's young. Or are things that bad now we can't even compete with Fulham in the transfer market

It's not about "not being able to compete", more like he'd probably not be good value for money (English tax and all that) and his wage demands would probably be pretty high too.

He coul also go the way if Stephen Ireland. He had a lot of off field problems when at utd, apparently fell in with the wrong crowd. Birmingham is significantly closer to Manchester than London and he may go with temptation. If he can keep his head he could become a very good player but at the moment the risk is too great, especially when he isn't that experienced.

Weren't we ready to spend £10m on kiyote or whatever his name was, today's papers are suggesting Morrison could go for £8m.

In an ideal world other players I'd like to see come in are loan moves for buttner of utd and lescott of city and a transfer for defour.

Think those four and holt would bring some experience and quality and certainly make the second half of the season a lot brighter prospect

Think that would go way above our budget. I don`t like being pessimistic but there is nothing to suggest that we are actually going to spend huge money this window. I think very much a sylla signing might come, maybe two. Maybe one is more expensive but 10 million seems out there. Prove me wrong Lerner.

According to an article in the Guardian, Morrison is on Fifteen grand a week at West Ham, but if  a club were to bid Ten Million for him then there is a clause in his contract that says his wages have to be raised to Sixty grand a week.  

That would be a pretty bizarre clause.

Could we just troll West Ham by bidding £10m but not agreeing terms with Morrison, thus adding £45k pw to the West Ham wage bill?

• Like 1

Hi everyone :) New to the forum, i just want to give my opinion on our current squad and where i think we need improving. First of all i for one think strength in the spine of the team is the most important part to any team that operates successfully in this league. After watching Villa home and away this season it strikes me how small our team is in comparison to other teams and is the reason we lack so much possession. Its so important we sign a big central midfield destroyer type player this window just to add some presence to the midfield. The current lack of presence is why teams like Sheffield, Millwall and Bradford find us so easy to play against never mind the prem teams. I'm not sure of any players of this mould available but a player like N'zonzi would fit straight into our team. I don't think a creative midfielder is priority at the moment as i cannot see a lack of goals being the reason we find ourselves in the rut towards the lower end of the league come the end of the season.

Welcome to the forum grobs!

I don't agree with your view that we need more height. What we need is more talent/ ability/ creativity.

You say that we don't have a big presence/ strong player in the spine, but Benteke, Vlaar, Baker and Kozak (before his injury, and now Holt as his replacement) all have a presence and strength.

I agree that strength is important, but I don't think that's what we're lacking.

If we had N'Zonzi, yes he would put himself around and give us a bit of bite in the middle, but I still don't think he would help us retain the ball or build attacks, which is what we're really lacking at the moment.

Â