Transfer Speculation (Winter 2014)

Richard

I am personally reading this as a win, win scenario.

Yes we are not getting the grant holt that was being touted for England 2 years ago. Yes he has been described as overweight and uninterested by the Wigan fans.

BUT and bear with me here, what if he never really wanted to move to Wigan in the first place but was effectively forced out of Norwich by Hughton?

Would you be to interested in moving to the shithole that is Wigan? I know I wouldn't even if I was getting payed very well for the privilege.

He most probably thought it was a backward step in his career and never gave it his all.

Now that may sound like a completely negative attitude for a professional footballer to have but it would be understandable.

Now look at this opportunity from his mind-set. He will most likely see this as his last chance to get himself into the premier league shop window for the summer. Like him or loathe him he certainly scored some very important goals for Lambert in his first season in the top flight. For such an old fashioned battering ram type centre forward he held the ball up very well and allowed others around him the chance to support him. To be fair to Lambert, he has most likely had a good conversation with Holt and may just possibly get him playing some good football again as they clearly have a good working relationship.

So what could possibly be bad about this loan signing? I really don't get all of the negativity on here surrounding it. He will cost us next to nothing I would imagine (possibly a very nominal loan fee), wages will definitely not be extortionate and he is an ex club captain and vital experience to our overly naïve squad.  Give him a f*****g chance for god's sake before threatening to kill the owner, CEO and manager!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 3

as angry as i am with the Holt signing.. this was not in the cards a few weeks ago.. so we are still likely to go for whatever Lambert needed in midfield/defence etc. The injury to Kozak brought this on. I would prefer not to bother bringing anyone upfront as i believe even Delfouneso and Bowery could do a better job than an overweight Holt.

So whos the next signing... this is whats important.

Overweight, lazy and can't even get into Wigan's first team in the Championship; looking at Wigan's strikers on Wikipedia they only have Mark Antoine Fortune and Callum McManaman, personally thought the latter was more of a left winger tbh.

Was only ever a one season wonder at Norwich (17 goals in the 2011/12 season) then he went completely shite and has since been relegated to the Championship to sit on the bench at Wigan  :angry:

Why the **** has PL even considering this fat ****. 

Edited by Avflife

A confirmation as to the type of football we'll continue to play for the rest of the season is probably the most depressing aspect of this signing. We've seen that Helenius can link up well, why not start using and trying getting the best out of him instead. Makes no sense to me at all. I just see Lambert reverting back to the ways in which he got success scrapping his way out of League 1, concerning to say the least. 

Excuse me, but when have you see Helenius link up well?

In the combined 51 minutes he has on the pitch this season in the Premier League? Or are you talking about the cup game against Sheffield United from League 1? Scoring a goal against such teams means nothing, it doesn't prove he will suddenly go on the pitch are score a hat-trick against Liverpool next week. "He deserves a chance" is also something I have read numerous times on here, but what do people know about his ability? Tonev is getting some games, even Bowery gets on the pitch from time to time - two absolute woeful players far away from being Premier League-players, so just imagine how far Helenius is from being one. People have to understand that what happens in the cups have very little significance compared to the real deal, which is the league.

Lambert got him in, of course he wants to play him to avoid another fail in the market, but if he isn't good enough he isn't getting games.

He isn't getting games for Denmark either, and we have seen Cornelius at Cardiff struggling immensely to get a hold of the tempo, the Danish league is lightyears away from being

a comparable league.

People are looking for solutions and are starting to find hope in players like Donacien and Helenius, players they have never seen in games. It's not like you can just walk into this league, it's a bit harder than that. If Helenius is crap then he shouldn't be playing, and if better players are fit then he should only warm the bench. A proven player out of form is still a better choice than an unproven player that hasn't played at this level.

Now I don't know how good or how poor Helenius is, because like all of you I haven't seen much of him, but the only indication we have is that he is not playing. The sad thing is that he is turning 23 in a few months, it's not like he is some 18 year old gem still learning his way. He is over two years older than Lukaku, and we know how far away he is from being at his level.

Well PL should give him a **** chance over the overweight slacker who will be eating all the Balti Pies at half-time on gamedays.

Yes we are not getting the grant holt that was being touted for England 2 years ago. Yes he has been described as overweight and uninterested by the Wigan fans.

BUT and bear with me here, what if he never really wanted to move to Wigan in the first place but was effectively forced out of Norwich by Hughton?

Would you be to interested in moving to the shithole that is Wigan? I know I wouldn't even if I was getting payed very well for the privilege.

He most probably thought it was a backward step in his career and never gave it his all.

Now that may sound like a completely negative attitude for a professional footballer to have but it would be understandable.

Now look at this opportunity from his mind-set. He will most likely see this as his last chance to get himself into the premier league shop window for the summer. Like him or loathe him he certainly scored some very important goals for Lambert in his first season in the top flight. For such an old fashioned battering ram type centre forward he held the ball up very well and allowed others around him the chance to support him. To be fair to Lambert, he has most likely had a good conversation with Holt and may just possibly get him playing some good football again as they clearly have a good working relationship.

So what could possibly be bad about this loan signing? I really don't get all of the negativity on here surrounding it. He will cost us next to nothing I would imagine (possibly a very nominal loan fee), wages will definitely not be extortionate and he is an ex club captain and vital experience to our overly naïve squad.  Give him a f*****g chance for god's sake before threatening to kill the owner, CEO and manager!!!!!!!!!!

Agree with this 100% - as I stated in the Grant Holt thread. Low-risk, low-fee, Lambert knows him well and we need the cover. It's not like he'll be starting every game ffs.

Lazy, overweight and uninterested. We already have a striker with those attributes - we don't need another Weimann, thanks!!

I'm sorry but this description of Weimann is utter tosh!

Yep - sad to see people deriding players that came up through the youth system and are going through a bad patch of form.

• Like 2

It seems that Lambert's interest in his old Norwich lot probably stems from his inability to replicate the style of play he had there with us. If bringing in a couple of the old guard will help with that, then I've got no problem with it.

As others have pointed out, Holt is just here because Lambert (wisely) wants a primary striker in case of injury to Benteke, and Kozak's injury has made it necessary to find a short term solution.

No matter what else happens this window, there's still going to be a large number of holes to be plugged next summer.

I used to mark CF's like Holt most weeks in the South Birmingham Sunday League and I can tell you, players of this ilke are not easy to mark. In fact they are an out and out pain in the arse. All elbows and size 11 feet treading on your toes all game. And they generally smell bad.

Fair enough but I'm guessing the defenders in the premier league are better than in the Birmingham Sunday league.

Apart from baker and Clark.

Exactly...I am going to judge him on what he does on the pitch for us rather than decide now. The challenge for Lambert is to bring in a couple more including a mythical Number 10.

Grant Holt will provide us with Premier League experience. He reminds me of Kevin Davies. He is a nasty piece of work & streetwise. I really can't see why people are getting their knickers in a twist & becoming so incredibly worked up about this signing. A short loan deal to replace Kozak & like Kozak another player who can take the weight of Benteke's  shoulders.He can do a good job for us & Lambo will play to his strengths. I personally have no problem with this signing. None.

Exactly how I feel too.

He'll cost peanuts to bring in and won't detract from any other signings lined up. Could teach J-Bowz something more than just spinning in his wheelchair too.

• Like 2

Â