Who is the all time greatest sportsman

villaguy

It's got to be Ali for me. His peak was 10-15 years before I was born but even so, he transcended nationality and the generations and is absolutely one of the most famous faces of the last 100 years. I mean just the fact that his name is still so utterly recognisable speaks volumes.

A masterclass from the greatest. Watch this if you have never seen it before. :wub:

He wasn't just a charismatic celebrity with limited ability either, he is the best heavyweight of all time too in my opinion. I can't think of anybody who deserves to be called bette, there certainly isn't anybody out there who has beaten as many genuinely world class opponents as Ali beat. I think Lewis is probably the only guy who gives him a run for his money too...

Was he charismatic ? Footage I've seen of him he comes across as very arrogant a loudmouth and a bit of a bully , I accept that's part of being a boxer , but i didn't see a lot to like in him to be honest

Undoubtedly.  The fact that you don't like him is besides the point really, the guy knew how to talk, he knew how to make people laugh and he knew how to get the media's attention.  He could be a bit of a prick and yes, he was incredibly mean to people he was about to fight but it's all part of the game isn't it?  Brian Clough was much the same and to a certain extent so is Jose Mourinho. 

http://youtu.be/FT-pfZAQvxw

"I'm fast. FAST. Last night I cut the light in my bedroom, hit the switch and was in bed before the room was dark." 

Now that's how you give the press something to write about. :D

I think the description is better suited to Ronnie, his talent can't really be explained. He just does what people imagine, just better and faster. It isn't my favourite sport, although it's one of them, but he is amazing and I don't know how anyone can despute that

I think the description is better suited to Ronnie, his talent can't really be explained. He just does what people imagine, just better and faster. It isn't my favourite sport, although it's one of them, but he is amazing and I don't know how anyone can despute that

The thing with Ronnie is that he doesn't have the mental strength to be considered better than Hendry was.  I will say the snooker he played in 2004-2005 was at a level nobody else has looked capable of matching and O'Sullivan is undoubtedly more talented than anybody else who ever picked up a queue but the application isn't always there. It's a cheap point, but Stan Collymore was more talented that most of the footballers who have played in the Premier League but he is just a footnote in the history of the game because he failed to apply that talent consistently over a number of years.  

O'Sullivan should have ten world championships to his name by now but he hasn't because he is almost as likely to throw a game due to being in a bad mood as he is to blow somebody away.  The guy is a flawed genius which is probably what makes him so popular because supporting him is genuinely exciting, he delivers highs and lows and that is exactly what most people want in a hero. 

• Like 3

I just want to bring into the equation others in the sport. Federer has had Sampras, Nadal, Djokovic, Agassi. Boxing is so disputed, Running is never ending. Some sports are a never ending discipline, I'd include football into that. Just how can you beat O'Sullivan, I don't think his talent can be surpassed so he is my best ever sportsman.

Edited by villaguy

Just how can you beat O'Sullivan, I don't think his talent can be surpassed so he is my best ever sportsman.

If he is in a bad mood or doesn't fancy it for some other reason then you just have to turn up!   

I just meant in terms of being called a sport when it isn't really one.

I can see your view, I wouldn't include Golf being a sport by that criteria though

Golf involves physical exertion and score determines the outcome. It is a sport.

I don't know, when I play Monopoly, I require physical exertion to move my token around.

I just meant in terms of being called a sport when it isn't really one.

I can see your view, I wouldn't include Golf being a sport by that criteria though

Golf involves physical exertion and score determines the outcome. It is a sport.

I don't know, when I play Monopoly, I require physical exertion to move my token around.

I also count channel surfing as a sport...

Edited by AVFCforever1991

Â