Who is the all time greatest sportsman

villaguy

Max Woosnam's feats are a bit sceptical, any solid evidence?

What like winning Wimbledon, Gold and Silver in the Olympics? that sort of thing?

Yeah, I got to see it in video before I can believe it. Wimbledon in that day wasn't a pro tournament either, just an invite event

Yeah, often they would just invite the worst players for the fun of it.

Or Brits because they were Brits

What like winning Wimbledon, Gold and Silver in the Olympics? that sort of thing?

Yeah, I got to see it in video before I can believe it. Wimbledon in that day wasn't a pro tournament either, just an invite event

Yeah the Olympics were invitational too :bang:

That Fred Perry only got invited so he could sell a few shirts!

Yeah the Olympics were invitational too :bang:

That Fred Perry only got invited so he could sell a few shirts!

Why I don't count Fred Perry in the same breath as Andy Murray

I'll see your Max Woosnam and (IMO) raise you a Jim Thorpe.

Jim Thorpe required a Google search! Great shout. That is ridiculous talent. When I see examples like him and Woosnam, I think to myself - why do you get so many talents? I'd like just one of those talents. Thorpe was a gold medal winning athlete, so why can't I have his American Football or Basketball talent. If there is a God, which we all know there ain't, kids, then why didn't he give me a professional level talent instead of giving some people several. :angry:

• Like 1

It's got to be Ali for me.   His peak was 10-15 years before I was born but even so, he transcended nationality and the generations and is absolutely one of the most famous faces of the last 100 years. I mean just the fact that his name is still so utterly recognisable speaks volumes. 

A masterclass from the greatest. Watch this if you have never seen it before. :wub:

He wasn't just a charismatic celebrity with limited ability either, he is the best heavyweight of all time too in my opinion. I can't think of anybody who deserves to be called bette, there certainly isn't anybody out there who has beaten as many genuinely world class opponents as Ali beat. I think Lewis is probably the only guy who gives him a run for his money too... 

Surely in a discussion about all-time greatest sportsman, anyone nominating Ali must by default regard him as the greatest heavyweight, otherwise whoever they'd put above him should be nominated instead.

It's got to be Ali for me.   His peak was 10-15 years before I was born but even so, he transcended nationality and the generations and is absolutely one of the most famous faces of the last 100 years. I mean just the fact that his name is still so utterly recognisable speaks volumes. 

A masterclass from the greatest. Watch this if you have never seen it before. :wub:

He wasn't just a charismatic celebrity with limited ability either, he is the best heavyweight of all time too in my opinion. I can't think of anybody who deserves to be called bette, there certainly isn't anybody out there who has beaten as many genuinely world class opponents as Ali beat. I think Lewis is probably the only guy who gives him a run for his money too... 

That footwork sends me  in a trance too, amazing stuff

It's got to be Ali for me. His peak was 10-15 years before I was born but even so, he transcended nationality and the generations and is absolutely one of the most famous faces of the last 100 years. I mean just the fact that his name is still so utterly recognisable speaks volumes.

Was he charismatic ? Footage I've seen of him he comes across as very arrogant a loudmouth and a bit of a bully , I accept that's part of being a boxer , but i didn't see a lot to like in him to be honest

Wayne Gretzky (in before Levi counters with Bobby Orr)

I seriously was going to say Orr.

Bobby was signing books at our local Chapters on Friday. Was set to run from 6-7, but there were so many people there he stayed until every single autograph was signed and fan was chatted with. They locked up at 1.45am

• Like 2

I'd say the title of the greatest must not only dominate but transcend their sport, and have worldwide appeal.

For me that leaves very few possibilities, of which don bradman probably tops the lot. Honourable mentions to Jesse Owens and from more recent times Michael Jordan and bolt.

That's because he could back up his words but he also had a very light hearted side, joked a lot, did a lot of things for kids and charity.

So did Fred West

And that, ladies and gentleman, is the greatest post ever made. We can choose the internet, there's nothing more to see here :lol:

Â