Who is the all time greatest sportsman

villaguy

Senna's a difficult one. Had he been in his prime for a longer period of time, then he could undoubtedly be considered. But bearing in mind he wasn't exactly young when he got killed, I don't think he can really be considered as the greatest Formula one driver, never mind greatest sportsman of all time.

Edit - just done a bit of reading on the subject, and people who know far more than me seem to be pointing to Senna as the greatest ever, so what do I know. 

Edited by Shillzz

The manner of Senna's demise boosted his reputation somewhat (see Princess Diana and Heath Ledger).

If he'd survived til retirement I don't think we'd be looking much past Fangio or Schumacher, as far as F1 goes anyway.

The manner of Senna's demise boosted his reputation somewhat (see Princess Diana and Heath Ledger).

If he'd survived til retirement I don't think we'd be looking much past Fangio or Schumacher, as far as F1 goes anyway.

Respectfully disagree.  It is true that death can sometimes enhance someone's reputation through some misty-eyed sentiment.  But Senna was already at that level before his accident, which made it all the worse when it happened.  Schumacher is more often than not outside the top 3 in any all-time lists anyway, so he wouldn't be top 2 with Senna excluded.

All that being said, even as a big F1 fan I would never hold an F1 driver up as the greatest sportsman of all time anyway.

Despite them being some of the fittest sportsmen on the planet and enduring stresses that most others don't experience and doing it at 200mph I think the car adds a level of equipment that makes it hard to judge them objectively, that's why.

Schumacher is more often than not outside the top 3 in any all-time lists anyway...

Schumacher was so good, he was boring -  and he also didn't seem like a very nice chap (though tbf his Wiki page says he's very generous to charity).

I stopped watching F1 during his reign, it was just too dull - and we'd been well into it until then, all nighters for the distant races, camping at Silverstone for race weekend and all that jazz.

He was brilliant though, he shouldn't have had a sniff in the Benetton against the Williams cars of the time.

Schumacher was so good, he was boring -  and he also didn't seem like a very nice chap (though tbf his Wiki page says he's very generous to charity).

I stopped watching F1 during his reign, it was just too dull - and we'd been well into it until then, all nighters for the distant races, camping at Silverstone for race weekend and all that jazz.

He was brilliant though, he shouldn't have had a sniff in the Benetton against the Williams cars of the time.

I agree with all of that. He is an all-time great. No doubt about it. It's just when talking about the greatest ever, he tends to be top 5, not top 3.

I thought this happened to Torres, aliens stole his ability...

Ah yes I forgot about your love for Fernando.

Don't forget, I've seen your shooting in GTA now, you have the same accuracy percentage.

• Like 2

To be the all-time world's greatest sportsman (or woman?), I think there need to be some conditions. I suggest these:

(1) International success (no sports which are limited to one country, for example)

(2) A long career

(3) Significant number of trophies/titles won, world records, etc.

and the tie-breaker:

(4) All of the above, but in MORE THAN ONE SPORT.

Don't forget, I've seen your shooting in GTA now, you have the same accuracy percentage.

Leave '91 alone, I've seen him shoot and I've never once seen him harm anyone!

• Like 2

20100823_060000370_20100804_084243592_je

Jesse Owens - won four Olympic golds at Berlin to stick it up Hitler's master race arse - all while (according to the bastion of truth that is Wikipedia) being a pack-a-day smoker!

Leave '91 alone, I've seen him shoot and I've never once seen him harm anyone!

Where is your adder again? oh that's right, I went there...

Edited by AVFCforever1991

Â