Who is the all time greatest sportsman

villaguy

Also, Basketball is basically just Netball, but for girls.

my argument was for ice hockey  ;)

Ice hockey is just field hockey. But for nutters. 

It's relative though isn't it.

Footballers and their managers complain because other teams don't have to do it.

If a team has to go to Kazakhstan and back on a Thursday and play on a Sunday against a team who has been in England all week, they might moan.

Everyone in America travels and plays that regularly, so it's a level (ish) playing field.

Sort of. There's generally very few west coast teams in any sport so those teams have to travel far more than the rest. It's basically like them traveling to Russia and back a few times a week, whereas for East coast teams there's much less travelling generally.

For me I'd argue someone like Tom Seaver is the best sportsman of all-time. Unlike most team sports, baseball (particularly for pitchers), is  pretty much 100% about your own ability and the rest of your teammates can do very little to affect your performance. In most team sport having good players around you will help you perform better and you get arguments like would X still be as good if he didn't have Y and Z in his team?

Yeah, you don't make something more manly by introducing ice skating into the equation do you?

180px-Jamal_Othman_Spin_-_2006_Skate_Can

• Like 1

Can you imagine Messi or Ronaldo taking 2 years out and winning 3 champions leagues on the bounce?

No, but I'd imagine it would be quite a bit easier to do if football were only played in one country.

You're forgetting The Toronto Raptors ;) Winning the NBA is basically like winning the Champions League. I'd say the best team generally wins as the games are over 7 games instead of 2 games and an aggregate scoreline so it's harder for an upset. Then America is roughly 95% the size of Europe anyway geographically speaking. 

Australia is about the same size as the lower 48 states.  Should we say whoever the best Aussie Rules player (another sport with only one league worth being in) is the best sportsman ever?  I don't accept the argument that winning a 30 team invite only competition is the same as winning the Champions League, a title which is the pinnacle at the club level of a truly global sport. 

I don't see your point about leagues, surely having all best players in the world in one League makes it more impressive winning that, than say City winning a league in it that has players that aren't Premier League players. I'd also imagine Aussie Rules is pretty much confined to Australia, where as basketball is played globally, so I don't think that comparison is fair either. Players like Yao Ming have been the #1 draft pick from China, Dirk Nowitzki has been the MVP & Finals MVP from Germany. The Champions League also has some absolutely brutal teams. Realistically only about 8 teams can win it every year. You also have to remember that the nba only take in 60 players every year. 60, thats how good you have to be, half of those won't even step on the court, so to make it in the league is a struggle in itself but to become the greatest of all time?

I think the similarities begin and end with the fact they each use a stick and there are 2 goals :) Obviously not literally that but they are miles apart. It's like comparing a honey badger and a badger. In fact that's probably quite an apt analogy :)
  • Like 2

Roger Federer

Not far wrong for me. His dominance cannot be understated.

Somebody wrote a few pages ago that if Tennis were as popular as football then you'd probably never have heard of Federer. Even if that wasn't complete shite, you could say that for every sport except football. In which case maybe football (a team sport may I add) needs to be removed from the conversation as an outlier. Which still leaves me at Federer.

All knelt before his brilliance. A bit like Messi, only he did it all on his jack.

He changed a sport. The consistency and Brilliance of the man. The personality. The ambassador for the sport he became. All round in every aspect a great sportsman.

No footballers can be in any list as they don't care about it in the United States.

Woods is a bit of a dick and then the whole cheating on his wife and long Majors drought.

Ali is more a personality than a sportsman. Great though he is, he's still more a personality.

Senna gets bias for the manner of his death. Schumacher was hardly sporting.

Michael Jordan is also more an American icon than world icon.

So you're left with Roger Federer.

No footballers can be in any list as they don't care about it in the United States.

Even though it's the most popular/played sport in the world, it all comes down to whether the US care about it?   :wacko:

Golf is more played than football. 

Also football is a team sport, so anything a footballer achieves is in no small part helped by his team mates. Also you cannot chose your country, so ability to win the World Cup is linked to nationality.

Golf is more played than football. 

I would like to see some evidence for this.

Also football is a team sport, so anything a footballer achieves is in no small part helped by his team mates. Also you cannot chose your country, so ability to win the World Cup is linked to nationality

If you're the best you're the best, doesn't matter if you win a world cup, if you're individual ability is higher than everybody elses than you're the best.

Not saying a footballer is the world's greatest sportsman but I don't agree with your reasons for exclusion.

I think the similarities begin and end with the fact they each use a stick and there are 2 goals :) Obviously not literally that but they are miles apart. It's like comparing a honey badger and a badger. In fact that's probably quite an apt analogy :)

im sue field hockey be a lot more popular if random fights started breaking out

im sue field hockey be a lot more popular if random fights started breaking out

I'd also add honey badgers into the mix, just to make things more interesting.

Â