Getting older

villaguy

1 hour ago, KentVillan said:

I just meant we tend to remember the good stuff from the sea of crap. There’s great music from any era if you dig around enough.

I'm talking about the top 40 popular music type stuff such as you will be hearing on Radio 1 or 2.

But you are correct. U2 are always there in the background. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

'I want to be young and wild, and then I want to be middle-aged and rich, and then I want to be old and annoy people by pretending that I'm going deaf''

0/2 so far but the third option is doable. 

Me and a mate did the deaf thing when I was about 13.We would go into a shop and point and nod our heads and generally confuse the shop attendant,then when we got what we wanted,we would say "thank you"and walk out.

• 2 months later...
22 hours ago, bickster said:

These from Lidl are ace

image.jpeg

A friend had bought a jar of Winter Mix. For younger and overseas viewers, these are boiled sucking sweets flavoured with traditional ingredients. Like cloves, aniseed and menthol.

My kiddy perspective was they were just on the right side of the borderline, with licorice being on the wrong side and Parma Violets in the bin. They seem much more agreeable now, where licorice and Parma Violets are still wrong.

Mint has also climbed the charts, to the point that the primary chocolate score is the peppermint Ritter.

Used to buy rose syrup to make drinks that taste like Turkish delight, Fry's style. Now it's mint syrup, which is great in lemonade or amazing in hard shakes made with ice cream.

fat-man-jeans-showing-thumbs-footage-129614320_iconmcopy.jpg.5ea061ac797774fe26eacd35605f5f32.jpg   Fully fat word removed approved for Summer - ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

• Like 1

At work the other week the youngsters (early 20's) were talking about going out and having a bit of a piss up, I was sat there working away not involved in the conversation, about 10 minutes later one of the geriatrics came over and invited me to the pub quiz, the average age of the team must be about 58, I'm only 37, that was extremely depressing.

Also a while back we were talking about films and one of them said that they liked the "classic" animated films like Toy Story, I said that Toy Story isn't a "classic film" because it isn't old enough, his response was "geeza, the film came out before I was born"

***edit - I'm 38, not 37***

Edited by leemond2008

8 hours ago, leemond2008 said:

At work the other week the youngsters (early 20's) were talking about going out and having a bit of a piss up, I was sat there working away not involved in the conversation, about 10 minutes later one of the geriatrics came over and invited me to the pub quiz, the average age of the team must be about 58, I'm only 37, that was extremely depressing.

Also a while back we were talking about films and one of them said that they liked the "classic" animated films like Toy Story, I said that Toy Story isn't a "classic film" because it isn't old enough, his response was "geeza, the film came out before I was born"

***edit - I'm 38, not 37***

I guarantee the older guys wanted you for modern music questions. You'll be a teenager with full knowledge of k-pop in their eyes. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

I guarantee the older guys wanted you for modern music questions. You'll be a teenager with full knowledge of k-pop in their eyes. 

Can confirm. 

EDIT: The wife and I were talking about this the other day, and we agreed that we consider forty-year-olds to be Young People. 

EDIT 2: Just like we think of the 1990s/early 2000s as basically 'now'. 

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

People on here were recently discussing Sgt Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band.

It was released 56 years ago.

John Lennon’s death in 1980 was closer to WWII than to today.

I remember our family getting excited at our first…. fridge.

One day, today will be the good old days.

17 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I remember our family getting excited at our first…. fridge.

Same. Also our first telephone. 

• Like 1

I'm finally going to get glasses. Sight has been deteriorating for years and years but it's not really been an issue.

These days I'm having headaches on a regular basis which I suspect is down to having trouble focusing and being sensitive to light. Will be fun, no doubt I will go through about 10 pairs a year due to losing then and breaking them. Lenses is not an option.

5 hours ago, sidcow said:

Then they are fools, 95% of the music that I listen to is from the 70's and before, the only "modern" stuff I listen to is country music and I doubt that you'll be getting questions about Tyler Childers crop up in the local pub quiz

Â