Guild of Real Ale Drinkers & Enthusiasts (GRADE)

StigVillan

The old purity brewery in studley has been bought, dismantled and moved to London then rebuilt as fourpure brewery. Not sure who purity are now.

Look out for fourpure beers, they're likely to be very good.

1995 was the height of Men Behaving Badly and that lager mentality of laddism in reaction to the metro sexual man.

That's maybe thinking too much into it though. But I reckon it was in part to blame for a heightened market of piss poor lagers.

Carling especially.

God awful stuff.

No, Carling was dominant well before that.

In the 1970s, Carling Black Label sales were driven to great heights, due partly to increased advertising support, in particular the classic “I bet he drinks” series of advertisements, and partly with the launch of Carling Black Label in cans. Cans were important to Carling’s success as they helped open up the “take home” market.[5]

The “I bet he drinks” series of ads showed someone doing something cool, clever or difficult, and having a bystander say "I bet he drinks Carling Black Label". Many of the adverts featured comedians Mark Arden and Stephen Frost, also known as The Oblivion Boys, delivering the classic punchline. With the help of this advertising campaign, it became Britain's best-selling brand of beer in 1971.

Carling has remained Britain’s best selling beer since 1985.

But thank you for the background. Very intriguing.

I vaguely remember those "I bet he drinks..." adverts - although since I was around 6 or 7 during their prevalence even in the late eighties, I'm worried that alcohol advertisements do impact children!

Haha!

Bicks' Oakham Ales is a great shout. Thet are ba top brewery and their Citra and Green Devil IPA are both gorgeous.

But, on the whole, I'm not into the whole 'Ale' things as such. I think much of it is pretty poor. For me, craft beer is where it's at, woith a burgeoning UK market following belatedly in the footsteps of the superb USA Craft Beer world.

All of these are top UK breweries, whose beers I have had many of:

The Kernel (London)

Buxton Brewery

Bristol Beer Factory

Tiny Rebel (Wales)

Beavertown (London)

Brodie's (London)

Magic Rock (Huddersfield/somewhere ooop North I think).

Weird Beard (London)

Thornbridge (near Bakewell)

etc. There are loads of fantastic UK craft brewers out there now ....

Was at this event on saturday:

http://www.indymanbeercon.co.uk/

IMG_8997-800x533.jpg

Craft beer extravaganza in the old Victorian Baths in Manchester. Also been to similar events in Liverpool and London.

Edited by Jon

For me, no matter how good it is, bottled beer will always come a distant second to hand-pulled draught in a pub.

Hmmm.

I can see that view, and at times I will agree, but it does depend IMO on how well that beer has been treated by the pub/bar in question. And also how long it has been 'Open'. A good bottle conditoned Beer can be as good as cask or keg draught, sometimes better.

I'd agree on fresh, well looked after draught beer though.

For me, no matter how good it is, bottled beer will always come a distant second to hand-pulled draught in a pub.

Hmmm.

I can see that view, and at times I will agree, but it does depend IMO on how well that beer has been treated by the pub/bar in question. And also how long it has been 'Open'. A good bottle conditoned Beer can be as good as cask or keg draught, sometimes better.

I'd agree on fresh, well looked after draught beer though.

Of course - I was assuming that as a given. Obviously a good bottle is better than badly kept draught.

Don't get me wrong, I like good bottled ales, I drink the stuff virtually every day. But all things being equal, I still prefer draught. Also, I like (good) pubs!

Leg use is overrated.

I like that "washover" stage of drunkeness wherein you begin to feel a little further removed from the troubles of reality.

Like the twilight zone. But happier.

You are not talking about drink now are you.

Thing to remember as well is that there is nothing wrong with 'mainstream' ales like bishops finger, spitfire, Greene king etc.... Don't let elitism affect your choice. Drink whatever ale you want as long as you like it.

Leave those that revel in drinking super dooper specially crafted 'for only 10 people in the whole world and I'm better than you as I'm drinking something you've never heard of' hipster beardy weirdy ales to it and don't let their snide comments change your drinking habits.

Anyway just been to aldi's and got loads of Hobgoblin pumpkin beer, a few Hopping Hare's and a couple Old Peculiar's before nipping to Waitrose and picking up a few Punk IPA's for the week. 

• Like 4

Went out last night... steak and ale pie with 2 pints of Marstons Pedigree. Proper winter food and drink  :)

However from Wednesday I will be drinking cold bottled lager.. as i'll be in 35 degree heat!  :D

• Like 1

I'm a lager or cider drinker... flat warm stuff just isn't my cup of errrrmm beer

but did check this place out in Memphis the other year

http://www.beerknurd.com/

and sampled rather a few off the rather extensive menu  .....  hic

Some were downright rank but some I found to be ok'ish  ... St Peters English Ale and Burnt castle were the ones I can remember

they have a chain of bars so worth checking out if you are US based   .. they have guest ales in from all around the world so you wont be stuck with American ales :)

I'm a lager or cider drinker... flat warm stuff just isn't my cup of errrrmm beer  

Thing is Tone, Craft Beer is neither flat nor warm.

It really is a burgeoning UK Industry.

God, you'd think Tony was an American, trotting out the "warm, flat, beer" cliche.

Beer which has natural effervescence (rather than injected CO2), and which is served at cool cellar temperature (rather than chilled to within an inch of its life) allows you to taste it.

You may not like the taste, but that's a different matter.

Thing to remember as well is that there is nothing wrong with 'mainstream' ales like bishops finger, spitfire, Greene king etc.... Don't let elitism affect your choice. Drink whatever ale you want as long as you like it.

Leave those that revel in drinking super dooper specially crafted 'for only 10 people in the whole world and I'm better than you as I'm drinking something you've never heard of' hipster beardy weirdy ales to it and don't let their snide comments change your drinking habits.

Anyway just been to aldi's and got loads of Hobgoblin pumpkin beer, a few Hopping Hare's and a couple Old Peculiar's before nipping to Waitrose and picking up a few Punk IPA's for the week.

Abso-bloody-lutely.

Couldn't agree more. Price and availability doesn't always dictate quality and often I've found cracking beers by accident.

I know I can sound a bit beer-elitist now and then, but that's completely by accident. It's just how passionate I am about cracking tipples.

• Like 2

Â