Guild of Real Ale Drinkers & Enthusiasts (GRADE)

StigVillan

There is a time and place for cold lager - on holiday on the beach, or by the pool. Or after a hard day at work in the sun.

Winter time is definitely ale time

• Like 2

There is a time and place for cold lager - on holiday on the beach, or by the pool. Or after a hard day at work in the sun.

Curiously I find Leffe to be the ultimate, warming, winter fireside drink.

Perhaps it is the alcohol level, I don't know.

Definitely there are times for a lager, and a good stout too!

I normally go for Sharps 'Doombar' or Timothy Taylor's 'Landlord' when I'm drinking ale at the pub.

timothy_taylor_landlord.jpgdoom-bar-ale1.jpg

There are also quite a few micro brewery start ups around my way in East London gaining some traction in local pubs and off licences which is pretty cool. 

Doombar is one of my personal favorites.

I've got, amongst others, a couple of bottles of Robinsons Old Tom to keep me going this afternoon. Can't go wrong.

I'm not a big fan of Doombar to be honest.  It's OK I suppose, but seems to be taking over the country like crappy Greene King.

Agreed. It's a safe, inoffensive middle of the road beer, I'll have it if it's the only ale on offer, but it's certainly nothing special.

Is this thread a sign that proper, TASTY beer is becoming less unfashionable?

Au contraire, my lager-poisoned antipodean friend. 

I'll have you know that as an Anglophile I've always sought out proper beer. You'd be surprised how much good beer is available in Australia. If anything the mass market in Aus is less lager-centric than the UK, or at least compared to when I half lived in the UK from '95 to '01

• Like 2

1995 was the height of Men Behaving Badly and that lager mentality of laddism in reaction to the metro sexual man.

That's maybe thinking too much into it though. But I reckon it was in part to blame for a heightened market of piss poor lagers.

Carling especially.

God awful stuff.

Is this thread a sign that proper, TASTY beer is becoming less unfashionable?

Au contraire, my lager-poisoned antipodean friend. 

I'll have you know that as an Anglophile I've always sought out proper beer. You'd be surprised how much good beer is available in Australia. If anything the mass market in Aus is less lager-centric than the UK, or at least compared to when I half lived in the UK from '95 to '01

I stand corrected,  :thumb:

Â