Guild of Real Ale Drinkers & Enthusiasts (GRADE)

StigVillan

I've got a guilty little pleasure whenever I'm watching "The Walking Dead" that I'll have along with a Jim Beam chaser...

6be59b90b5b0417b315d5211860decdc_640x640

And, with tonight being the start of a new season on FX...I've gone out and bought some.

I'm a terrible person...I know.  :blush:

Went to Frankie and Benny's tonight. Couldn't see any proper beer so went with the only one I didn't recognise, Samuel Adams.

What a bucket of piss. Tasted like a dodgy Carling.

I loved Sam Adams in the U.S.

Got a nice flavour I thought.

Of the top of my head, I can recall a few other posters (here or in other threads, like the tipple thread) who got terrible Sam in the UK, while I can't recall a poster who disliked it while drinking it in the US. It seems plausible that the importer for the UK imports more than immediate sales would justify (and I can think of economic reasons for this), thus causing the beer to be stored for too long and spoil. The quality of bottles of Old Speckled Hen or Czechvar (what real Budweiser is branded in countries where Budweiser means clydesdales etc.) or Grolsch has been pretty hit or miss over the years in my experience. When it comes to imported beers that aren't at least double the price of say, Heineken (because then the economics allow importation of smaller shipments), supported by a massive marketing campaign , or heavily purchased by a notably large immigrant/expatriate group in the area (using these as a proxy for "sells in sufficient numbers to limit the length of storage"), one is probably always rolling the dice on freshness.

• Like 3

Â