Guild of Real Ale Drinkers & Enthusiasts (GRADE)

StigVillan

Greatham outside of Hartlepool...

Ah Monkey Hanger land!   ;)

Going off topic (apologies mods), but are you aware there's a North East supporter's club? If you're interested, I'll PM you the chairman's contact details.

Edited by dAVe80
  • Like 1

Going off topic (apologies mods), but are you aware there's a North East supporter's club? If you're interested, I'll PM you the chairman's contact details.

Excellent. That'd be brilliant. I'm moving to Erdington in the Brum come Christmas though! Hahaha!

Excellent. That'd be brilliant. I'm moving to Erdington in the Brum come Christmas though! Hahaha!

PM sent.

CED - I can PM you too, if you're feeling left out?  :P

they have a chain of bars so worth checking out if you are US based   .. they have guest ales in from all around the world so you wont be stuck with American ales :)

tbf, given that the US quite likely has the most prominent craft beer/ale scene in the world, even if it was limited to just American ales it wouldn't be bad.

I'm reading in this thread about how hard it is to find a pub with a decent craft beer selection and, well, I don't have that problem. Around here, pretty much any bar or club you walk into, even the ones that are basically only student bars, will have at least a third of the beers on tap being local craft brews (and I'm not counting Sam Adams in that category for this purpose).

• Like 1

they have a chain of bars so worth checking out if you are US based .. they have guest ales in from all around the world so you wont be stuck with American ales :)

tbf, given that the US quite likely has the most prominent craft beer/ale scene in the world, even if it was limited to just American ales it wouldn't be bad.

I'm reading in this thread about how hard it is to find a pub with a decent craft beer selection and, well, I don't have that problem. Around here, pretty much any bar or club you walk into, even the ones that are basically only student bars, will have at least a third of the beers on tap being local craft brews (and I'm not counting Sam Adams in that category for this purpose).

That's true enough but isn't there a law or something that says we have to slag off everything American or the Internet will blow up ? :)

• Like 2

Then you're very lucky. They're often obscure here, those real ale venues.

They are? I don't have any trouble finding pubs with good beer. Not like the 70s, when it was a real nightmare. 

Then you're very lucky. They're often obscure here, those real ale venues.

They are? I don't have any trouble finding pubs with good beer. Not like the 70s, when it was a real nightmare. 

I am in the terribly bleak Teesside area... ;)

USA has kick started beer drinking into the realms of 'trendy'. I personally think beer tastes best at source and American ales I've tried here have tasted as if they have more to offer.

I would love to visit the USA on a beer drinking odyssey.

USA has kick started beer drinking into the realms of 'trendy'. I personally think beer tastes best at source and American ales I've tried here have tasted as if they have more to offer.

I would love to visit the USA on a beer drinking odyssey.

Not sure America has made beer drinking trendy, but I would say more and more microbreweries are coming to fruition. CAMRA seems to have helped this develop well.

they have a chain of bars so worth checking out if you are US based .. they have guest ales in from all around the world so you wont be stuck with American ales :)

That's true enough but isn't there a law or something that says we have to slag off everything American or the Internet will blow up ? :)

Oui, c'est vrai.  Mais en Francais, s'il vous plait, mon cher...

The extent of my interaction with American beer is a single pint of Sam Adams. As a first impression it wasn't a good one, I'd feel sorry for the flames if you'd used it to douse a fire, a truly vile pint.

I spent most of Thursday evening on Ubu, Mad Goose, Lord Marples and Butty Bachs. All lovely.

Edited by Chindie

Â