Guild of Real Ale Drinkers & Enthusiasts (GRADE)

StigVillan

Bathams is probably the best tasting. But smells of eggs.

For bottled over the counter, I _love_ Co-op Honey Ale.

Then I know they're mainstream but Bishop's Finger or Spitfire are next on the list.

Im a cardigan wearer too!

There is a great pub in Birmingham for those who dont know, The Wellington!

...sells snuff as well!

Yep lovely pub.

I went in there for a LUG meeting before I discovered real ale. I asked for a lager. It was like the scene from American Werewolf.

• Like 2

original.png

Described as...

Superior dark, rich and warming strong ale with a cherry brandy like colour and character.
Booming balance of ripe malt, and peppery hops combined with roasted nut and chocolate flavours with a smoky richness.

I highly recommend this. Knocks your socks off at around 8% per bottle and it has VERY strong, rich taste that kicks you in the throat almost immediately - but by God it is sublime.
  • Like 1

BlackSheepRiggwelter.jpg

Described as...

Created in the mid-nineties, Riggwelter is our flagship Strong ale. We wanted a beer with real strength and depth so we developed a unique recipe built around rich espresso aromas, dark fruit and roasted malt flavours which lends itself perfectly to putting in a bottle.

A real winner for me...can be a little bitter at times with those espresso tones in the background. But a very good tipple.

Yup, Cardigan wearing beer drinker here too, been to 3 CAMRA festivals this year and loved them. Absolutely love anything by Wye Valley brewery. Last night indulged in a lovely Worcester Sorcerer, Marston EPA, Wye Valley HPA, and a 'Cornish blonde'.

I'm not elitist about my drinking preferences but I will encourage the unenlightened to seek variety and not accept drinking lagers just because it's there.

Home Bargains have sell some decent beers for cheap and Co Op stock a great selection of local beers for anyone interested in trying something different.

2354.jpg

Described as...

Old Peculier is a beautiful, yet very simple beer, brewed using a very generous blend of finest pale, crystal and roasted barley with two bitter hops combined with the majestic and noble ‘Fuggle’ hop to produce a beer of awesome full-bodied flavour with subtle cherry and rich fruit overtones. It tastes superb when accompanied by rich stews, strong cheeses and sweet puddings.

An old friend and a go-to tipple. Very malty and sweet but with a dark and rich aftertaste. An early evening beer next to a roaring fire.

Adnams Southwold bitter is probably my favorite at the moment. Batham's is a pretty great pint and I really like their original home (that pub by merry hill).

The Wellington tends to get pretty busy most evenings now as it's known as the beer mecca in town. I would also recommend the Lord Clifton and Red Lion in the jewellry quarter, though it's kind of themed more for the younger hipster-ale types. Sort of like me then.

Adnams Oyster Stout

adnamsoysterstout.jpeg

Not always in the mood for it...but had a few in the last couple of weeks and I've been pleasantly surprised by how easily it slips down when the long nights are drawing in.

Edited by StigVillan

skullsplitter.jpg

I discovered this on a week long holiday with the family...suffice to say I only had one of these a night along with a swift whiskey for a nightcap.

Does what it says on the tin, but by God is it a beautiful tasting beer too.

Caramel and toffee tones with an espresso-style bitter kick.

But there is a silky, dark smokiness to this that just...oh God...I want one now.

I had a pint of Bathams for the first time this summer.  Was in Brum on business, so popped to a pub in the Jewellery Quarter (Red Lion?) that had it on.

Tonight I've had a few pints of various Okell's ales. (Isle of Man brewer)

Â