What do you drive?

StefanAVFC

A mate of mine just moved to Leamington. Within a week of moving some little scrote has keyed his car.

And I mean they've really gone to town on it. Proper deep scratches in every single panel.

He has no idea why. it was in a private car park for his flats as well.

But then again he owns an mx5 so some would say it's his own fault

skoda_fabia_vrs_2010_01.jpg

No doubt people will just go ahead and mock it because it's a skoda, but you would be wrong!

I don't mind Skodas at all, but the styling doesn't work on that I'm sorry to say.  it's obviously a sporty model with the red brake calipers and the grille looks nice, but the body looks like a less sporty Peugeot 307.  It's too tall, unless it's just the angle of the photo.  Should have been more squat like a Golf.

• Like 2

I've bought another Alfa - well I've had it for two weeks and the engine is something else. Alfa Romeo GTV V6 (3.0 Busso Engine). If you know your ARs, you don't actually need the car to move, you can have lots of enjoyment just letting the engine run in your garage or on your driveway. It is creamy smooth with a lovely grunt when you want to give it a bit of exercise;gearbox is lovely as well - oh and it shifts. As it is a 1999 model, the tax is cheaper than my GTV Twin Spark and I've also got in at a snippet on classic car insurance. For all you who look at Autotrader and want to buy a classic car, just do it and don't tell the Mrs, buy it first then tell her.  

Now I bought it as a project so I knew things had to be done/worked on including some corrosion that I am not ashamed to disclose :) and as I've been volunteering on weekends to help out at an Alfa garage I felt it was something I could now do. It also meant that the car was saved from the scrap heap and also being parked up to collect moss! With only 350 of them in the UK, I felt it was worth the bother and with prices of them rising, I felt it was a good incentive.

Oil cooler was leaking so that has been replaced and finished today; massive pain in the rear I would add but I got there. Got to put the bumper on in the morning as I ran out of light.

Complete brake overhaul done on Wednesday. Filthy work but beats paying someone to do it. 

Complete new interior including panels, glovebox,pillars, seat etc. pretty much your lot. The previous owner looked like he used it as a van it was that dirty. Quite easy work though actually as long as you don't lose anything!

Taking her up to Milton Keynes on Saturday for a run before arranging some more work. Next will be some welding followed by a good rust treatment. Will have to pay for that though! Feeling quite satisfied that I have managed to do some jobs which is the main thing for me. I'll get some pictures for the Alfa lovers on here at some point!   

• Like 2

We have a 2014 Polo, which has worked fine for us so far. Not a lot of fun, but safe and steady. With a baby due, though, we need something bigger. We're probably going to need two cars soon enough anyway. Currently, we're thinking of getting an Octavia. I see a couple of you speak highly of it, and it does seem to be good value for money. Any other suggestions in the same category?

We have a 2014 Polo, which has worked fine for us so far. Not a lot of fun, but safe and steady. With a baby due, though, we need something bigger. We're probably going to need two cars soon enough anyway. Currently, we're thinking of getting an Octavia. I see a couple of you speak highly of it, and it does seem to be good value for money. Any other suggestions in the same category?

You takes your pick of:

Octavia

Leon

Golf

Focus

As mid sized estates.

Slightly more in keeping with the Jones's is a Qashqai or Mazda CX5.

Slightly bigger are the Passats, Mondeos, Superbs.

I've just got myself an Auris Hybrid Sports Tourer as I wanted something slightly different, hybrid makes sense for me, I've always liked Toyota, and they're incredible value for money at the moment.

But yes you can't go wrong with an Octavia. The 1.2 TSI engine is meant to be fantastic. Almost the same car though is the Leon ST which costs about the same but has the technology pack at the moment.

I wanted a Subaru Forester for years. Nearly got one a couple of times, the big old boxy ones with a shiny light grey or shiny brown plastic interior.

But the running costs were just eye watering. Very reliable apparently, but if something, anything, went wrong with it the only viable choice was to tow it to some country lanes and torch it and claim the insurance.

It struck me as one of those cars that had an element of cool amongst a small quirky number of middle aged wannabe hipsters and it got cooler the older and more battered it got. Along the lines of a Landie Defender, a chunky 80's Mercedes or a big square Volvo estate designed on graph paper.

• Like 1

You takes your pick of:

Octavia

Leon

Golf

Focus

As mid sized estates.

Slightly more in keeping with the Jones's is a Qashqai or Mazda CX5.

Slightly bigger are the Passats, Mondeos, Superbs.

I've just got myself an Auris Hybrid Sports Tourer as I wanted something slightly different, hybrid makes sense for me, I've always liked Toyota, and they're incredible value for money at the moment.

But yes you can't go wrong with an Octavia. The 1.2 TSI engine is meant to be fantastic. Almost the same car though is the Leon ST which costs about the same but has the technology pack at the moment.

The Golf is a cracking car and if you like the Polo you'll like the Golf.

Might be worth looking at A3's as well for similar reasons.

Test drove a Qashqai it was awful. Test drive a Yeti it was amazing.

I like how Qashqais look, but they drive terribly.

They may have improved it recently, but the one I drove would have been about... 3 years ago maybe. Maybe 2.

But it wasn't nice to drive. Felt really top heavy and the handling around turns was really erratic.

Â