What do you drive?

StefanAVFC

Ooooh thats pretty. :wub:

Not sure I'll consider it when we update ours. They're just not big enough for 2 kids and all the shit you need to transport when you have 2 kids. Will probably step up to a Disco.

The new Disco looks pretty **** nice too Edited by Stevo985

Ooooh thats pretty. :wub:

Not sure I'll consider it when we update ours. They're just not big enough for 2 kids and all the shit you need to transport when you have 2 kids. Will probably step up to a Disco.

Estate (E-class, V70, A6) not an option, if you dont need hill-climb and 7 seats? Way more boot-space (how often do you use the hight of a 4x4 boot?), more practical, more economic, better handling.

Never understood the appeal in trucks if you don't live on a muddy hill

• Like 1

What car is it again? What model and engine exactly?

It's Astra CDTI 1.9

the 1.9cdti engine is notorious for power issues. Its actually a Fiat engine but used in Vauxhall, Saab, Alfa and of course Vauxhall.

Common problems, in order of likelhood... 1) EGR block/stuck (easy bolt on / off part, cost about £120 from dealer). 2) Boost sensor clogged with carbon (really easy to remove and clean if you google it), vacuum pipes split (check all the rubber pipes under the engine bay, they are prone to splitting and leaking air), full DPF (a pain if this is the problem, dealer can replace at 000's or you can get it removed by a third part company), turbo on it s last legs (bad news)...

I'd actually bet money, if you have not fault code it is probably 3) (split hose). If you start the car have and good look at all the rubber pipes. Ask someone to rev it and see if you can hear any air escaping.

Vac pipes probably is something they would have to have disconnected during dropping the gearbox. If there's a definite (not just 'this feels a bit different) noticeable power difference before and after, then I'd agree a split hose or something vac related is the cause. They can't claim they did nothing to any of that stuff as (I don't think) the CDTi with a DMF can have the DMF changed without splitting the engine and box, which is a fairly intrusive job (hence the labour cost).

The engine maintenance light came on and I've got it booked at the same

garage that changed DMF and clutch to look at it tomorrow. It's clearly been caused by something they done but there is just no way I can prove it.

Meanwhile, my old Focus is up to 159k and is booked in for a timing belt change next week. Getting the auxiliary drive belt done too. Gotta keep the old girl soldiering on for another 12 months until I can afford to replace her. 

It's Astra CDTI 1.9

the 1.9cdti engine is notorious for power issues. Its actually a Fiat engine but used in Vauxhall, Saab, Alfa and of course Vauxhall.

Common problems, in order of likelhood... 1) EGR block/stuck (easy bolt on / off part, cost about £120 from dealer). 2) Boost sensor clogged with carbon (really easy to remove and clean if you google it), vacuum pipes split (check all the rubber pipes under the engine bay, they are prone to splitting and leaking air), full DPF (a pain if this is the problem, dealer can replace at 000's or you can get it removed by a third part company), turbo on it s last legs (bad news)...

I'd actually bet money, if you have not fault code it is probably 3) (split hose). If you start the car have and good look at all the rubber pipes. Ask someone to rev it and see if you can hear any air escaping.

Vac pipes probably is something they would have to have disconnected during dropping the gearbox. If there's a definite (not just 'this feels a bit different) noticeable power difference before and after, then I'd agree a split hose or something vac related is the cause. They can't claim they did nothing to any of that stuff as (I don't think) the CDTi with a DMF can have the DMF changed without splitting the engine and box, which is a fairly intrusive job (hence the labour cost).

garage that changed DMF and clutch to look at it tomorrow. It's clearly been caused by something they done but there is just no way I can prove it.

You should invest in 2 things, 1) a Bluetooth OBD connector (less than £10) and 2) Torque Pro app (about £3).

Now whenever your car gets a fault you can scan the ecu for codes yourself and diagnose faults yourself saving a fortune.

• Like 1

It's Astra CDTI 1.9

You should invest in 2 things, 1) a Bluetooth OBD connector (less than £10) and 2) Torque Pro app (about £3).

Now whenever your car gets a fault you can scan the ecu for codes yourself and diagnose faults yourself saving a fortune.

Really? Thanks for that. First time ever seen engine light come on.

It's Astra CDTI 1.9

^^^^^^ this ^^^^^^^

Oh look, someone very helpful has made an awesome blog post about this very thing ;) http://wmdzone.blogspot.co.uk/2014/01/torque-see-what-your-cars-really-doing.html

Edited by darrenm
  • Like 1

It's Astra CDTI 1.9

^^^^^^ this ^^^^^^^

Oh look, someone very helpful has made an awesome blog post about this very thing ;)http://wmdzone.blogspot.co.uk/2014/01/torque-see-what-your-cars-really-doing.html

Legend!

Was in a crash last night, my 12 year old brother and his friends were in the car messing and climbing from front to back was only 50 yards from my house took my eyes off the road for 1 second and we were in a grass patch and couldn't get out hit a neighbours wooden fence. Wing mirror gone, damage to front wheel & front door. Everyone is ok though thank god.

Oh and my earlier post was hinting at it not being called a Freelander anymore

Disco Sport right?
yeah.

I wasn't totally sure if that was public knowledge yet.

LR are rebranding into 3 pillars.

Range Rover, Discovery and Defender.

Oh and my earlier post was hinting at it not being called a Freelander anymore

Disco Sport right?
yeah.

I wasn't totally sure if that was public knowledge yet.

LR are rebranding into 3 pillars.

Range Rover, Discovery and Defender.

Yeah, quite open in the car mags over here - I imagine the UAE and Middle East as a whole is quite a good market for Land Rover?? - although we call them LR2 and LR4 here.

Wouldn't be surprised if they called it the Discovery Sport or even LR Sport when the new model arrives.

It's Astra CDTI 1.9

Really? Thanks for that. First time ever seen engine light come on.

So took it back and mechanics spent 15 minutes on it. Pick up ok now and steering back to normal too. Not Sure what he done as my dad took car for me but he still reckons it nothing to do with the new clutch and gearbox job he did.

Probably cleared any lingering fault codes and hopefully that's the end of it.

If there is a rogue sensor or underlying issue which is pushing it into restricted performance then it may happen again. As mentioned above, have a look at the Bluetooth OBD connectors on ebay and torque pro app so you're armed next time you suspect something is up.

• Like 1

Â