What do you drive?

StefanAVFC

A better comparison.

My Freelander drives beautifully. Handling is very well balanced and responsive for what is essentially my sofa on wobbly suspension. Its a lovely drive, and surprisingly swift off the blocks.

The Qashqai was exactly the opposite of this. Horrible horrible horrible. Now I accept that there is at least a £10k difference in purchase price.... but you gets what you pay for.

EDIT..... **** me. To spec it like my Freelander there is about a £2k difference in final purchase price.... AND you have to drive a Nissan. **** that.

Edited by blandy

A better comparison.

My Freelander drives beautifully. Handling is very well balanced and responsive for what is essentially my sofa on wobbly suspension. Its a lovely drive, and surprisingly swift off the blocks.

The Qashqai was exactly the opposite of this. Horrible horrible horrible. Now I accept that there is at least a £10k difference in purchase price.... but you gets what you pay for.

EDIT..... **** me. To spec it like my Freelander there is about a £2k difference in final purchase price.... AND you have to drive a Nissan. **** that.

article-2260386-16DCA922000005DC-657_634

• Like 3

What car is it again? What model and engine exactly?

It's Astra CDTI 1.9

the 1.9cdti engine is notorious for power issues. Its actually a Fiat engine but used in Vauxhall, Saab, Alfa and of course Vauxhall.

Common problems, in order of likelhood... 1) EGR block/stuck (easy bolt on / off part, cost about £120 from dealer). 2) Boost sensor clogged with carbon (really easy to remove and clean if you google it), vacuum pipes split (check all the rubber pipes under the engine bay, they are prone to splitting and leaking air), full DPF (a pain if this is the problem, dealer can replace at 000's or you can get it removed by a third part company), turbo on it s last legs (bad news)...

I'd actually bet money, if you have not fault code it is probably 3) (split hose). If you start the car have and good look at all the rubber pipes. Ask someone to rev it and see if you can hear any air escaping.

Vac pipes probably is something they would have to have disconnected during dropping the gearbox. If there's a definite (not just 'this feels a bit different) noticeable power difference before and after, then I'd agree a split hose or something vac related is the cause. They can't claim they did nothing to any of that stuff as (I don't think) the CDTi with a DMF can have the DMF changed without splitting the engine and box, which is a fairly intrusive job (hence the labour cost).

• Like 1

Funnily enough though, even though the Qashqai was like driving a wardrobe on a shopping trolley, it WAS a lot more reliable than the Discovery we have now.  Everything worked perfectly on the Nissan, it was just cramped and horrible to drive.  The LR is great to drive, and is huge inside, but in two years, it's had a problem with the crappy plastic panels either side of the windscreen, the suspension, the central locking, the rear view parking camera and the sun roof.

Funnily enough though, even though the Qashqai was like driving a wardrobe on a shopping trolley, it WAS a lot more reliable than the Discovery we have now.  Everything worked perfectly on the Nissan, it was just cramped and horrible to drive.  The LR is great to drive, and is huge inside, but in two years, it's had a problem with the crappy plastic panels either side of the windscreen, the suspension, the central locking, the rear view parking camera and the sun roof.

Yep thats my experience of LR as well. Lovely design, drives nicely, built by drooling retards.

FrostReportClassSketch_zpse150ec4e.jpg

I've checked this photo in depth and the one on the far left doesn't have 6 fingers so either it's been shopped or it isn't Risso

But if you look closely at the umbrella..........

I've checked this photo in depth and the one on the far left doesn't have 6 fingers so either it's been shopped or it isn't Risso

Your wife/sister enjoys the extra digit, Tony.

Your wife/sister enjoys the extra digit, Tony.

I'm way too far down the Isle of Sheppey hierarchy to be allowed to marry my sister , I have to make do with a cousin

I've had my new Qashqai for two weeks now, and I love it! Looks good with the 19 inch wheels too.

Dont get the hate on here for the Qashqai. Looks great, drives great, and nissan make reliable cars.

Can only drive 'high up' cars now like Qashqai, land rovers, any other 4 x 4's or people carriers. It feels to weird now when ever im in mates 'low down' cars like audi's and golfs.

they don't drive great to be honest.

I like them in terms of looks, price, practicality etc.

But I had one as a hire car in Ireland a few months ago and the drive really put me off.

Not the only one either. My dad was genuinely thinking of buying one but having driven that one he's changed his mind.

That being said, this one wasnt the new model so they may well have addressed those issues.

I don't know what the older model was like, so can't defend it, but I like this one. Obviously it's higher and the center of gravity is up there, so it's not going on rails like maybe your A3. It's still good to drive definitely. I want to sit higher, so it suits me. If you like your cars sporty, then you're in the wrong shop.

Not expecting it to handle like my A3.

But I expect it to turn when I turn the steering wheel. The steering was incredibly loose. And when it did eventually steer you got a shit load of oversteer.

Just generally wasn't very responsive and put me on edge as you never felt you were fully in control.

Obviously it's not going to handle like a sports car, I'm not an idiot.

But I know how cars of that size are supposed to handle and that wasn't it.

Again, this was an older model so they may well have fixed it. Sounds like you're not having a problem so that's probably the case.

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply anything like that.

Anyways, I have no problem, so all is fine for me. Eames, I know not what to say. I guess we don't agree. :)

Ooooh thats pretty. :wub:

Not sure I'll consider it when we update ours. They're just not big enough for 2 kids and all the shit you need to transport when you have 2 kids. Will probably step up to a Disco.

Ooooh thats pretty. :wub:

Not sure I'll consider it when we update ours. They're just not big enough for 2 kids and all the shit you need to transport when you have 2 kids. Will probably step up to a Disco.

I believe the boot issues of the current freelander have been addressed, you might even be able to seat their friends too  :ph34r:

Â