What do you drive?

StefanAVFC

On 09/04/2021 at 21:13, villa4europe said:

f you see a deer crossing warning sign that's because some hit a deer there, if it has a light above it they hit the deer at night

This is bollocks. There's a deer sign on a fairly new road by us, it's been there since the road opened and there isn't a deer within a 100 miles. The deer sign doesn't mean beware of deer it means beware of wild animals, it just shows a deer

9 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I think the lights above the deer are how many times they’ve won the European Cup.

Twice in a Roe. The Reds are trophy Sikas, but unless they Buck up their ideas they may have a Fallow year.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, blandy said:

Twice in a Roe. The Reds are trophy Sikas, but unless they Buck up their ideas they may have a Fallow year.

Muntjac

Edited by Xela

• 4 weeks later...

My car has a small but irritating fault, the dealer is sorting it but given me a brand new MG HS. Brand new. Its not leaving my drive, I am scared of damaging it. 

4 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

My car has a small but irritating fault, the dealer is sorting it but given me a brand new MG HS. Brand new. Its not leaving my drive, I am scared of damaging it. 

Take it for a razz!

When I hired a car last year, i think I was the 3rd person to use it. I was worried at first of damaging it, especially as it felt massive to drive, even though its a 'supermini'. 

Soon got used to it. 

4 minutes ago, Xela said:

Take it for a razz!

When I hired a car last year, i think I was the 3rd person to use it. I was worried at first of damaging it, especially as it felt massive to drive, even though its a 'supermini'. 

Soon got used to it. 

I was supposed to be in the office in Solihull tomorrow, I have cancelled it. 

Drive safely folks

https://www.worcesternews.co.uk/news/national/uk-today/19293096.30-uk-hotspots-crash-cash-scams-revealed/

Top 30 crash for cash postcodes in the UK and the city or town they are in, according to the IFB:

1. B25 Birmingham

2. B34 Birmingham

3. B8 Birmingham

4. BD7 Bradford

5. BD3 Bradford

6. WS1 Walsall

7. BB9 Blackburn

8. BD8 Bradford

9. B27 Birmingham

10. RM18 Romford

11. B33 Birmingham

12. WF13 Wakefield

13. BD15 Bradford

14. OL8 Oldham

15. HX1 Halifax

16. M8 Manchester

17. LS8 Leeds

18. N9 North London

19. WF16 Wakefield

20. LU3 Luton

21. WS2 Walsall

22. BD2 Bradford

23. BD5 Bradford

24. B11 Birmingham

25. HP12 High Wycombe

26. B28 Birmingham

27. RM8 Romford

28. LU4 Luton

29. IG3 Ilford

30. BD9 Bradford

Car question - I'm looking to buy a new car, around 3 years old. 

Is high mileage a really bad thing?  I've seen a couple of decently priced diesel cars which have got 100K mileage on them, even though they are only 3 years old. I am guessing ex-lease salesman doing lots of motorway driving.

Avoid like the plague? or not an issue if the price saving is worth it?

18 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Is high mileage a really bad thing?  I've seen a couple of decently priced diesel cars which have got 100K mileage on them, even though they are only 3 years old. I am guessing ex-lease salesman doing lots of motorway driving.

Motorway miles are better then regular miles, just do the usual checks and hopefully find one with all the services done, it wouldn't put me off at all. Good luck.

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, ender4 said:

If it’s a good price, has full service history, and you’re not planning on doing shed loads of miles then I’d say do it.

100k miles is not the end of life that it used to be, especially a diesel with motorway miles.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, ender4 said:

I’ll be doing maximum of 5,000 miles per year. 

What is DPF?

Why are you after a diesel for less than 5,000 per year?

I’d ignore the fuel type and get the nicest / best price car regardless.

I took my petrol Merc beyond 300,000 and it was fine. My next car was a petrol Hyundai that went over 100,000 and that was fine too.

20 minutes ago, ender4 said:

What is DPF?

Diesel Particulate Filter, during normal driving the car stores emissions nasties in the DPF (which is in the exhaust system) then now and again when it’s on a run, motorway speeds, engine warm etc it’ll do a “burn” of what it has stored. It’s a way around exhaust emission regulations.

They’ll only do the burn if about 10 circumstances are aligned. They are notorious for getting blocked and putting warning lights on. Or if they break completely they cost a fortune to replace. What a lot of people do is take the car to a tuning company who take the internals of the DPF out and adjust the software to ignore it.

As @Xela mentioned, for less than 5k miles I’d look at petrol.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Why are you after a diesel for less than 5,000 per year?

I’d ignore the fuel type and get the nicest / best price car regardless.

I took my petrol Merc beyond 300,000 and it was fine. My next car was a petrol Hyundai that went over 100,000 and that was fine too.

Oh I’m not looking for a diesel, I hate diesel.

I would much prefer fully electric or petrol.  It’s just all the cars make/models I like only do diesels, or cost £10k more for an electric/petrol version.

So very reluctantly I’ll have to go with nasty diesel to get a nice car at a good price.

Edited by ender4

31 minutes ago, ender4 said:

What is DPF?

Diesel particulate filter. It captures and stores exhaust soot in order to reduce emissions. 

They tend to clog up if you are only doing short city journeys. They need long journeys to burn the soot off (called regeneration)

Most manufacturers don't recommend diesel cars for short journeys for this reason. 

Pre 2009, they didn't have them. They were introduced for emissions reasons. 

Edited by Xela
  • Thanks 1

EGR valves are another device designed to get a diesel engine through legal testing but in reality can be a bloody nightmare.

Edited by Genie
  • Thanks 1

Â