What do you drive?

StefanAVFC

it was more BMW, the worst of the 3 germans for me, im not a fan of the cabin and definitely not a fan of the new grill which i think the x5 has

all of the x6, audi and merc things can get in the sea, horrible things

but i agree on the 4x4, im thinking of going Q5 for the next one (but will probably look at an a5 first) and if i had the money id almost certainly go for an etron

3 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

it was more BMW, the worst of the 3 germans for me, im not a fan of the cabin and definitely not a fan of the new grill which i think the x5 has

all of the x6, audi and merc things can get in the sea, horrible things

but i agree on the 4x4, im thinking of going Q5 for the next one (but will probably look at an a5 first) and if i had the money id almost certainly go for an etron

I'd be buying used, so it wouldn't be the latest X5 at all. I really like the first generation and think they have aged really well. They've progressively got worse in the looks department, as all BMW's have. 

I noticed only recently there was a Merc version of the X6. Can't think what its called. The X6 is so horrible that I actually I like it. Least everyone would know what a rocket polisher I was.

All new Range Rover is out in the Autumn @Xela. If you want to go full word removed it’s the only option.

I’ve had my Kuga 2 years now and it’s not missed a beat. Brilliant car, comfortable, all the bells and whistles and I’ve not spent a penny on it apart from a service, 2 tyres and an MOT. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Genie said:

All new Range Rover is out in the Autumn @Xela. If you want to go full word removed it’s the only option.

I’ve had my Kuga 2 years now and it’s not missed a beat. Brilliant car, comfortable, all the bells and whistles and I’ve not spent a penny on it apart from a service, 2 tyres and an MOT. 

Out of my price range mate! Although I could get a first gen Range Rover Sport in drug dealer spec? 

To be fair, my A3 has been a perfect car. Like you Kuga, it hasn't missed a beat, in the nearly 4 years i've had it. Great car. Objectively the best car i've owned, although not my favourite. Thats still my '89 E30 BMW 325i Sport. 

• Like 2

Objectively, the best cars I’ve ever owned have probably been the most recent couple. Reliable, fuel efficient, did the miles with ease, modest insurance.

However, the cars I’ve loved: 1971 Beetle, the fuses would fall out when it went over a speed bump, plunging you in to darkness at night. The doors couldn’t be locked and the ignition could be turned with pretty much anything, a spoon handle would start it. It would drive all day, but once you stopped you had to re set the plugs and points. Loved that car. C Class Estate, which got through a set of tyres every 20,000 miles when I was doing 40,000 miles a year. It did 250,000 miles, or to put it another way, about £4,500 of tyres. It was a petrol auto, like sailing on honey, but did about 20mpg around town. Loved that car too.

I’m on a 10 month count down to my next car. Most of me wants to get another anonymous reliable invisible white goods car with modest environmental footprint. But a little bit of me wants to find the next beetle / C Class.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Objectively, the best cars I’ve ever owned have probably been the most recent couple. Reliable, fuel efficient, did the miles with ease, modest insurance.

However, the cars I’ve loved: 1971 Beetle, the fuses would fall out when it went over a speed bump, plunging you in to darkness at night. The doors couldn’t be locked and the ignition could be turned with pretty much anything, a spoon handle would start it. It would drive all day, but once you stopped you had to re set the plugs and points. Loved that car. C Class Estate, which got through a set of tyres every 20,000 miles when I was doing 40,000 miles a year. It did 250,000 miles, or to put it another way, about £4,500 of tyres. It was a petrol auto, like sailing on honey, but did about 20mpg around town. Loved that car too.

I’m on a 10 month count down to my next car. Most of me wants to get another anonymous reliable invisible white goods car with modest environmental footprint. But a little bit of me wants to find the next beetle / C Class.

I bought a cheap stop gap X-Type diesel and bloody loved it. Ended up keeping it for 3.5 years. One of those cars that had several faults but you forgave them all.

Easily did 55mpg from a 5 speed box. Plenty of power when you put the foot down. Surprisingly refined and had the coldest air con I’ve ever known.

Had to let it go for a pittance in the end as we needed something with a hatchback boot for the dog. 
I did about 80,000 miles in it and only had to replace 1 front spring. They got a very bad reputation for doing what most other car makers do (build a new car off another cars chassis) but were a fantastic used car buy. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

However, the cars I’ve loved: 1971 Beetle, the fuses would fall out when it went over a speed bump, plunging you in to darkness at night. The doors couldn’t be locked and the ignition could be turned with pretty much anything, a spoon handle would start it. It would drive all day, but once you stopped you had to re set the plugs and points. Loved that car.

I do like Beetles. My Grandad used to have them. Think he had two. A cream one, which I don't recall as I was only a toddler, and a sky blue one, which I do remember. Loved the noise they made from the air cooled engine and always a treat to go out in it. He had Minis before that, so he had pretty decent taste in cars when he was younger. My Mom tells tales of the family packed into the Mini then setting off for Criccieth or Margate at 5am for the annual summer holiday! 

He replaced his second Beetle with a brown Austin Allegro though! 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

One of the greatest affordable cars in the world - Mazda MX5, no space for families but they are brilliant cars. Buy one while you can.

Got be a Mark 1 with the pop up headlamps! 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Xela said:

Got be a Mark 1 with the pop up headlamps! 

Dad had a red one, after he'd passed on it was just left in the garage, I went to Vegas for 6 weeks, when I got back mother said it was in the way so I gave it to the chap who does the gardens. Damnit.

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Xela said:

I do like Beetles. My Grandad used to have them. Think he had two. A cream one, which I don't recall as I was only a toddler, and a sky blue one, which I do remember. Loved the noise they made from the air cooled engine and always a treat to go out in it. He had Minis before that, so he had pretty decent taste in cars when he was younger. My Mom tells tales of the family packed into the Mini then setting off for Criccieth or Margate at 5am for the annual summer holiday! 

He replaced his second Beetle with a brown Austin Allegro though! 

As kids, once we discovered all the tools you needed on a Beetle were a flat head screwdriver and a spanner set, there was no stopping us.

We stripped one to the point it was just a floor pan, drivers seat and steering column, engine out the back. No body, not even a petrol tank. My mate driving it rally style around the streets with me bouncing around the back of the floor pan trying to keep a fuel hose in a can of petrol and trying not to get tossed off…

I must have mentioned it a dozen times, we cut the roof off one, which made it ‘flexible’, hit a bump, it flexed alright, I had my elbow resting on the half cut off door which opened and I fell out. I was the driver.

Absolute **** idiots.

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, Phil Silvers said:

Yep the worst car I've owned is also my favourite, a Landrover Defender. From when 4x4s were 4x4s.

I saw my first new Defender the other day, didn't see the point in it

11 minutes ago, bickster said:

I saw my first new Defender the other day, didn't see the point in it

It’s immensely popular.

JLR have more cars on order now (110,000) than at any time in their history*

*partly down to the chip shortages but still.

Just now, Genie said:

It’s immensely popular.

I don't doubt it. It's just the name though. It does not serve the same purpose as the original Defender. It's not a tool, it's another luxury school-run tractor. Almost guaranteed 95% of owners will not use it for what it's capable of

9 hours ago, bickster said:

I don't doubt it. It's just the name though. It does not serve the same purpose as the original Defender. It's not a tool, it's another luxury school-run tractor. Almost guaranteed 95% of owners will not use it for what it's capable of

It's a very well engineered motor, round a 4x4 assault course with all comers in off the shelf form probably only the Toyota landcruiser could live with it.

Strange thinking from LR on this one as its way out of the price range of tool users, they go for hilux or ranger type pickups now.

This motor is basically a discovery or RR with a different body and interior, they've almost sold out to mop up the boom for lux high riding cars, very profitable though probably. 

Real 4x4 users(not drivers) in the main hard Road markets of Africa Australia South America and probably the US will always us Toyota, a land rover might get you half way there but if you want to get back buy a Toyota. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Xela said:

I do like Beetles. My Grandad used to have them. Think he had two. A cream one, which I don't recall as I was only a toddler, and a sky blue one, which I do remember. Loved the noise they made from the air cooled engine and always a treat to go out in it. 

Me too. I've had a few. 2 of them I restored - rebuilt the engines and the lot. they were both red. I had a blue one, which was a bit more like Chris's experience - we lived at the top of a hill on the coast road and if it was at all damp or foggy then it wouldn't start from the starter, so it was roll down the hill and hope it bump started. The hill was steep and at the bottom was another hill, up. so if it ever got to the bottom without starting I would have been goosed completely, but that never happened, thankfully. Loved all of them and want another as a toy/project. The smell as well as the sound is unique.

• Like 1

Â