World Cup 2022: Qatar

maqroll

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

like i said other than the qatari authorities doing background checks on them i dont know what its for, never seen it before, would expect say a 30 man training squad thats then trimmed but never a 55 man list

Checking for gays.

Just now, Mr_Dogg said:

Checking for gays.

thats what i thought

there was also a rumour years ago that the dont let you in the country if you've travelled to israel previously but with footballers they cant really control that because they play games there, also maybe a check on criminal records but im not sure if thats going to be a thing either and thats not exclusive to qatar (the states wont let bands in if they've got drug arrest records for example)

it will be something of nothing but its still weird

59 minutes ago, Mr_Dogg said:

Checking for gays.

LGBT ACTIVIST PETER TATCHELL STAGES PROTEST IN QATAR, ARRESTED

Australian born LGBTQI activist Peter Tatchell (70) was arrested in Qatar on Tuesday while protesting that country’s homophobic laws ahead of the FIFA World Cup.

Qatari security services reportedly seized Tatchell while he was staging a one-man protest outside the National Museum of Qatar in Doha.

UK-based Tatchell was holding the first ever public LGBTQI protest in Qatar. Tatchell shared a photo of him holding a placard that read: “Qatar arrests, jails & subjects LGBTs to ‘conversion’ #QatarAntiGay.” The activist said on Twitter: “The World Cup hosts are homophobic”.

In a statement, UK-based Peter Tatchell Foundation said that the activist’s current whereabouts was unknown. The FIFA World Cup is scheduled to be held in Qatar from November 20 – December 18, 2022.

https://www.starobserver.com.au/news/lgbt-activist-peter-tatchell-stages-protest-in-qatar-arrested/217759

6 hours ago, villa4europe said:

is there a reason why or is that a normal thing that exists outside of the world cup? sounds like turkmenistan 

the other thing about those cities is they aren't designed and built for 2m people and expect 1.2m visitors for the month

Just for the World Cup, and much before. I'm allowed to enter on the way out, on 30th Oct, but that changes 1st Nov (presumably because it's usually a 30-day visa waiver) so I can't enter (as of yet) on 18th Nov, still before the tournament starts.

World Cup 2022: Australia players criticise human rights record of hosts Qatar in video - BBC Sport

Australia have released a collective statement against Qatar's human rights record, becoming the first 2022 World Cup team to do so.

The video message criticises the World Cup hosts' treatment of migrant workers and LGBTQ+ people.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

Dont Australia play in the same qualification section as Qatar. Surely they knew this before

Everyone knew it before. Australia are just the first to say anything (Although it might also be worth noting Australia are extra salty about Qatar winning it as FA Aus were also hoping to host this one) 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

Everyone knew it before. Australia are just the first to say anything (Although it might also be worth noting Australia are extra salty about Qatar winning it as FA Aus were also hoping to host this one) 

Of course but just seems to me to be PR at this stage not just from the FAs. Big players have boycotted tournaments before over political opinions but nobody will do it this year because of marketing sponsorship deals

On 25/10/2022 at 11:17, villa4europe said:

germany have put together a 55 man shortlist for the WC and submitted it to FIFA

thats a new one

edit - england have done the same, its not published, the players and the clubs are not told, thats crazy, seeing as its for Qatar i will lazily assume its for background checks and approval but if thats the case id have thought the players should know

Hopefully they will stop Harry Maguire entering

10 hours ago, Zatman said:

Of course but just seems to me to be PR at this stage not just from the FAs. Big players have boycotted tournaments before over political opinions but nobody will do it this year because of marketing sponsorship deals

To be honest, wrongly or not, I don't think Football Australia is in a financial position where it can afford to boycott the world cup.

• Like 1

On 25/10/2022 at 21:43, Pinebro said:

Yeah I'm not gonna watch it.

I was of that mindset but unless you live in country with little football interest or haven't qualified e.g. Norway it's next to impossible given in UK all games are shown on terrestrial compared to CL which is easy to avoid nowadays and will be endless highlights shown on the news, pubs etc.

2 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

I was of that mindset but unless you live in country with little football interest or haven't qualified e.g. Norway it's next to impossible given in UK all games are shown on terrestrial compared to CL which is easy to avoid nowadays and will be endless highlights shown on the news, pubs etc.

It depends more people have access to Netflix/Disney etc so can choose to not watch BBC/Itv

I think its probably the lowest hype World Cup ever, starts in 3/4 weeks and has zero attention really

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

It depends more people have access to Netflix/Disney etc so can choose to not watch BBC/Itv

I think its probably the lowest hype World Cup ever, starts in 3/4 weeks and has zero attention really

Oh I hate the timing and where it's being played so I have little interest compared to even 2018. It's the World cup though. Everyone has seen in the past how people at work or in bars couldn't care less about football suddenly jump on the bandwagon when England win a couple of games and it takes over news programmes in a different way compared to regular league or european fixtures.

So very difficult to avoid. Difference for me is previous world cups I'd try to watch or catch up on pretty much every game in some way.. Couldn't care less about whoever is playing at 10am/1pm on matchdays so will just look at the result and then get on with whatever I'm doing.

• Like 2

Probably the least excited ive been to a world cup. I think the worst WC in my lifetime was the one in south africa.

This one i think will top that. Its crap place to do it, crap time of year with Christmas coming up so yeah not looking forward to it

• Like 1

Â