World Cup 2022: Qatar

maqroll

• 1 year later...

So it's official that this world cup will be played in the winter. Dates are November 21st - December 18th. 

I know this was rumored for a while, but Fifa officially confirmed it now. 

Soooo what happens? Do we just stop our leagues for the world cup? I am sure leagues all over the world will need to have a break for this or else clubs will complain they are losing their best players. Even the championship had a fair amount of players go to this world cup. 

Then you have to ask, how long do you stop the leagues? Nations typically start training camps 2 weeks minimum before the world cup so that brings it back to early November when players will want to leave. Then right after the world cup it's christmas time which works out well I guess because players will be tired from playing a major tournament. 

So are we potentially looking at no club football at all from the beginning of November till January? 

For an example, imagine we had this world cup happen but this past 2017 and remember this is the 48 team world cup. We could have potentially lost Kodjia, Hogan, Adomah, Hourihane, Thor, Snodgrass, Jedinak, Whelan, Taylor, Chester, and Elmo assuming their nations qualify with the expanded format. That is essentially our whole first team...

If the championship didn't give the full 2 months off, we'd probably do pretty poorly in the league without those players. Even if we lost just half, I'd say there is no way we should be forced to play a championship match. We could be punished for having players from smaller nations whereas clubs who have players from say England, Germany, etc won't lose their better players giving them an unfair advantage. 

Think it's an old discussion but thought the European leagues will start 3 weeks earlier than normal and finish 3 weeks later.

I hate this world cup already.

9 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

I’d imagine the break will be at least mid January... not going to be fun... the league winner that year is the one with the least players attending the World Cup. 

So you're saying there's a chance we could get promoted?

Not interested in the Qatar WC in the slightest.

Can't say for 100% but I read somewhere the premier league are still planning to do the usual boxing day/new year period straight after this WC. Don't see how that's possible as we've seen with this World cup how mentally shattered players are when they go out. Final would be on December 18th I think.

Imagine England have another good run and lose in semis and all the players then have to come back and play for their clubs 10 days later. As it is I don't think a 3 week break is sufficent which they all have now.

• Like 1

the fan aspect of it is going to be fascinating, not because of the stuff that will be written pre tournament  about not going, people will go, its how that place will transform once people are there, its half the size of wales, the host cities are that close that i would guess everyone will make doha their base (furthest ground is 45 mins away) so a city of 1.3m people could have around 2m more people turn up, everyone will be on top of each other, no other tournament will be like this, the majority of them will fly in, they have 1 big airport so that wont be a problem, they do however have the issue that qatar airways have a monopoly over those airports (and they are owned by the government so as much talk as there was about SA flights to Russia i would expect everyone to benefit from subsidised flights in 2022,  flights are £500 now) i cant imagine lots of their neighbours will drive in to the country but the tournament will attract a lot of ex pats in the region (england could have a good following there) daytrippers from bahrain and the UAE, we have a construction industry worth about £150bn, Qatars is worth £250bn..we are 22 times the size of them, the place will be unlike anything a lot of people have any seen before, everything will be new

the entire world cup is happening in an area smaller than the west midlands

Edited by villa4europe
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

It will be like this World Cup. People moaning now and say they will boycott but when it comes around people will be tuning in.

For all the stick Russia got at least it has a football culture. Qatar has no such thing and just won't be that fan friendly imo.

It just has an artifical air about it imo, all stadiums within about 5 minutes of each other, Qatar will probably have about 4-5 Brazilians in their team like a previous tournament they hosted.

I'll still watch games as it's actually hard to avoid a World cup if you try to do it with it on anywhere but can't say I'll put much stock on whoever wins or does well.

Â