World Cup 2022: Qatar

maqroll

Well Football Manager 17 (and previous editions) are usually pretty good at predicting things, and in their universe the 2022 WC is moved from Qatar. Usually to either China or Canada.

This gives me a tiny bit of hope still. :)

• Like 2

3 hours ago, sne said:

Well Football Manager 17 (and previous editions) are usually pretty good at predicting things, and in their universe the 2022 WC is moved from Qatar. Usually to either China or Canada.

This gives me a tiny bit of hope still. :)

they did predict Shkhtar Donetsk woult move back to DONBASS Arena in 2015 :P

• Like 1

Qatar world cup would've been moved years ago if it was going to happen, surprised people still think it's a possibility.

Think only time it has ever been moved was when Colombia had an earthquake a year before they were going to host it in 1986.

15 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Qatar world cup would've been moved years ago if it was going to happen, surprised people still think it's a possibility.

Think only time it has ever been moved was when Colombia had an earthquake a year before they were going to host it in 1986.

FIFA are being handed a great opportunity here to move it and blame it on political unrest and cover up the mess they made for themselves. Not sure they've got the balls to follow it through though as no doubt there would be some mud slinging afterwards.

Brazil had massive political unrest in the run up to their own hosting, indeed Confed Cup jogged my memory that there were street protests before games when they hosted up.

It's been nearly 7 years now since Qatar were awarded the hosting, just don't see it happening.

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

Brazil had massive political unrest in the run up to their own hosting, indeed Confed Cup jogged my memory that there were street protests before games when they hosted up.

It's been nearly 7 years now since Qatar were awarded the hosting, just don't see it happening.

I agree there is zero chance it will happen. 

Obviously it's very unlikely it will move, but developments this week have changed the probability slightly, maybe of the order of 1% before to 5% now or something like that. 

The situation right now in Qatar is genuinely serious, it's not a 'nothingburger' as the Americans would say. 

9 hours ago, VillaChris said:

7 years? Shit! I remember watching the announcement in a bar in Bangkok. Can't believe how quick time goes. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jimzk5 said:

if they didn't move it when an ethics report found they won it through bribery they won't move it full stop.

Also when it came apparent that they couldn't host the summer world cup in the summer! 

5 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Obviously it's very unlikely it will move, but developments this week have changed the probability slightly, maybe of the order of 1% before to 5% now or something like that. 

The situation right now in Qatar is genuinely serious, it's not a 'nothingburger' as the Americans would say. 

It's not stopping football matches being played though, they beat South Korea in a qualifier on Monday.

3 hours ago, VillaChris said:

It's not stopping football matches being played though, they beat South Korea in a qualifier on Monday.

A World Cup is a rather larger logistical challenge. 

Look, it's highly unlikely to be cancelled or moved, but I stand by the point that the probability has changed, in a small but non-trivial way. 

• Like 2

Got it via bribes, can't host it in the summer, using slaves to build the stadia and now fallen out with the neighbours... couldn't make it up. The new era of FIFA still keeping their heads down it seems.

20 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

A World Cup is a rather larger logistical challenge. 

Look, it's highly unlikely to be cancelled or moved, but I stand by the point that the probability has changed, in a small but non-trivial way. 

Not really for Qatar given how small it is, there's 3/4 venues in the same city isn't there so it's a bit like the West Midlands hosting a tournament.

I'll only take notice when they starting having to play games on neutral venues like Syria and Iraq obviously have to do.

Talk of nations boycotting is a little bit more interesting though. It actually got me thinking, what happens if Ukraine actually qualify for Russia 2018? Will they boycott?

6 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Talk of nations boycotting is a little bit more interesting though. It actually got me thinking, what happens if Ukraine actually qualify for Russia 2018? Will they boycott?

What might finally bring FIFA down properly is all the major countries boycotting this tournament on ethical and safety concerns.

I'd hope as we get closer to 2022, a few big name teams do the right thing and boycott, and then the rest follow.

1 hour ago, TrentVilla said:

Sponsors, players, national associations, fans... all should boycott this World Cup for a whole host of reasons, obviously most won't though sadly.

I won't be watching it though.

I was of the same mindset but trouble is the World Cup is very difficult to avoid. It's on both terrestrial channels, it's on in every pub, it's on every electronics store that has TVs in its display windows (was watching Holland Australia while waiting for a bus during the last one).

Actually wish BT could've got the rights then I could've easily avoided it like I do the champions league.

• Like 1

Â