Gabby Agbonlahor

R.Bear

12 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Like who?

Just a have a look back over the last few pages.

The guy is a striker and has about 10 goals in the last 3yrs, and people still support him. 

Why has he been played on the wing? Is because of all those assists? The Goals? Or even his wonderful crossing ability?

Or it more down to the fact that every manager since O'Neil has realised that he simply isn't a very good striker? 

11 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

I disagree, at 23 he was scoring double figures in the PL and playing for England. He had talent.

out of Moores, Vassell, Delfouneso and even Weimann he was probably the least naturally talented coming through the system

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Zatman said:

out of Moores, Vassell, Delfouneso and even Weimann he was probably the least naturally talented coming through the system

Totally, all that list had more natural talent than gabby, but his game hasn't ever been about touch has it? Or vision or technique, he is pure pace and always has been. Used properly he could stretch teams and push them deeper and give us some space between the lines for Gil, Grealish or Traore. He'd have to be part of a 2 up top though, and I don't think we have the other one!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, av1 said:

The guy is a striker and has about 10 goals in the last 3yrs, and people still support him. 

After a decent performance in which he scored a very important goal. I'd be worried if they didn't "praise" him for that. 

1 hour ago, av1 said:

At the moment we are not blessed with much choice are we? Gabby has been particularly poor over the last few years but we now need to support him because we have nobody else. I do not see any point in NOT supporting him. 

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, Zatman said:

And yet, of all those, only Gabby and Vassell really 'made it' (either here or elsewhere).

I think it's a desire issue, he's another in a long line of young British players who got too much too soon and failed to challenge himself further to be better than he is or was.

I don't buy in to him simply not having the ability, we've all seen Gabby score good goals as well as important goals, less so over the last 4 years for sure but nevertheless he is capable, or at least he was.

This is why he frustrates us so much, if he was a Salifou type player (i.e. blatantly not up to the level required) we'd accept it and move on, maybe even make him a cult hero (as per Salifou), as it is we expect more.

2 hours ago, av1 said:

Why has he been played on the wing? Is because of all those assists? The Goals? Or even his wonderful crossing ability?

Or it more down to the fact that every manager since O'Neil has realised that he simply isn't a very good striker? 

I don't give a shit why. Calling him a striker is a lie. He has been playing on the wing most of the time. Like I pointed out several posts ago, wing is midfield. As far from the opposition goal as his own goal. His goal scoring record and assist record is adequate for a winger in the PL.

59 minutes ago, MikeMcKenna said:

At the moment we are not blessed with much choice are we? Gabby has been particularly poor over the last few years but we now need to support him because we have nobody else. I do not see any point in NOT supporting him. 

Yes I agree with that, I should have said criticise rather that support. 

1 hour ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

After a decent performance in which he scored a very important goal. I'd be worried if they didn't "praise" him for that. 

Was also a very well taken goal, and whilst I'm certainly not a fan of Gabby I also agree that he is probably a better option that Kozak or Gastede. My comment was regarding the specific post regarding peoples opinions on Gabby should he go 3 months without scoring, he does that regularly. If he consistantly shows the same kind of effort he did on Saturday the praise will come, and deservedly so, but Gabby hasn't looked bothered for a long time now so its difficult to change an opinion based on 1 decent game.  

26 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

Average goals per season over Villa career:

Dwight Yorke - 10.77

Gabby - 8.5

In fairness to Yorke he spent much of his early days on the left hand side of a midfield 4

I think some of the best attacking football we played in later years was 07-09 when Gabby and Young tore up the flanks with Carew in the middle.

Gabby in more of a wide forward role

Edited by sne

21 hours ago, Zatman said:

040715-SOCCER-Aston-Villa-Christian-Bent

sorry, I don't agree  i wouldn't call him unplayable, albeit i know some do( not Liverpool fans)........as much as he is better than anything else we have had in recent times.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Jesus, if you didn't rate Benteke the last few years must have been really miserable. 

I didn't say I didn't rate him, I said I wouldn't describe him as unplayable.

He is the best we have had in recent times.

I never thought his movement was good enough to be labelled top notch.....Good for us with a ration of 1:2

not producing at Liverpool .........and its Interesting how old Klipperty shares my view about his lack of movement.

Not as popular at Anfield as Villa Park.

Ps and yes the last few years have been really miserable and a few before them too.....but we seem to be able to descend in to further levels of miserable.

Edited by TRO

Â