Gabby Agbonlahor

R.Bear

20 minutes ago, Lord Willard said:

Yeahhhh I tend to agree that I over exaggerated him being unplayable. We have seen him tear teams apart in his day, merely hoping he finds that sort of form if we play to his strength. 

My point was he has long drought spells in his career, now is not the time for another. 

Yeah no worries, I wish he was unplayable! But sadly he isnt :( he seems to have lost alot of his pace as well which was a large part of his game. Hopefully he can add more goals to his game, its now or never. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Lord Willard said:

Yeahhhh I tend to agree that I over exaggerated him being unplayable. We have seen him tear teams apart in his day, merely hoping he finds that sort of form if we play to his strength. 

My point was he has long drought spells in his career, now is not the time for another. 

He was never unplayable, but for a while he was certainly uncatchable.

Apart form the goal i still thought he was a bit lazy overall on Saturday, granted he did look more sprightly after the goal, but his first half performance was very poor.

I'm not a big fan, but he took the goal well and deserves credit for that, problem is we all know 9 times out of 10 he would probably have failed to lift the ball over the keeper and that is not good enough for a striker.

I'd have taken him off with 15 minutes to go (he looked absolutely knackered) and replaced him with either Keinan Davis (i assume his presence on the bench means Garde has seen something in him, and we might not get a better  or lower risk game to play him in now) or Sinclair. I'd also have taken Bacuna off, i thought he had an awful game he rarely beat his man, and his distribution was terrible.

7 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

He's almost certainly scored at least 3x more PL goals than the rest of the squad put together. 

from our current squad I imagine Lescott would be our 2nd highest scorer from it :lol::mellow:

We just need to give him chances that don't require any thought - there was a quick attack on the break that we got later on in the game where he did really well to get away from his man with his instinct, then it ended up with him having to make a decision and he, of course, messed it up. 

He has a bit of a gut, you can see it through his shirt, lower ab fat, this sort of fat can accumulate with age though and is not so easy to get rid of.

This.

Also, it doesn't really matter as he's fit enough. Considering he's not played for what, 4 months, he has looked fit enough to me.

Watched the game again and thought he was excellent second half after an OK opening 45 in which he had very very little service. If I had faith he could play like that every week it would be like a new signing. It already is for me, I expected him to never play for the club again.

We just need to give him chances that don't require any thought - there was a quick attack on the break that we got later on in the game where he did really well to get away from his man with his instinct, then it ended up with him having to make a decision and he, of course, messed it up. 

The one where he should have passed to Gil?

To be fair to Gabby, that was a really tough pass to make. Veretout would have struggled with that one. I thought it was the right decision to take it on, however by that point he did look jaded.

I thought the chance he had in the first half, about 10 minutes in with a pass from Bacuna was golden but he couldn't sort his feet out in time. Just had to direct it, no need to think.

He's not a great player by any stretch, never has been. But he can be a really good one for short periods. If by some miracle his goals keep us up (again) then he will surely have to go down as a legend no matter what the history.

3 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Gabbys never been unplayable sorry but thats just not true. When on form he is good but in his years here he has never been "unplayable" in my eyes. Benteke on his day was unplayable not gabby

There were times between 2007 and 2010 when that was the case, he scored 50 goals in that 4 year period and I know he was unplayable at times as I was there and I saw the performances. He has only had 1 half decent season since then I know but I think people forget how good he was at times under MON, he terrorised plenty of defenders

• Like 1

Unfortunately for all of us, we know that Gabby's next game will see him be the player he's been for the previous 6months since he last played well.

He's just far too inconsistent. I thought he played well on Saturday, but in the Premier League you need to play like that every week, not once every few months.

• Like 1

Unfortunately for all of us, we know that Gabby's next game will see him be the player he's been for the previous 6months since he last played well.

He's just far too inconsistent. I thought he played well on Saturday, but in the Premier League you need to play like that every week, not once every few months.

That's a bit of a fallacy. He tends to have purple patches, 8-10 games.

Let's prey for that.

Just now, dont_do_it_doug. said:

That's a bit of a fallacy. He tends to have purple patches, 8-10 games.

Let's prey for that.

From memory, the last game I think he played well in was Baggies at home or Sunderland away under Tim Sherwood last season (can't remember which game came first), since then I can't think of a decent performance from him. Could be wrong though. 

29 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

The one where he should have passed to Gil?

To be fair to Gabby, that was a really tough pass to make. Veretout would have struggled with that one. I thought it was the right decision to take it on, however by that point he did look jaded.

I thought the chance he had in the first half, about 10 minutes in with a pass from Bacuna was golden but he couldn't sort his feet out in time. Just had to direct it, no need to think.

He's not a great player by any stretch, never has been. But he can be a really good one for short periods. If by some miracle his goals keep us up (again) then he will surely have to go down as a legend no matter what the history.

It wasn't that bad, just the time to pass just came and went and he was still dithering. 

If we just remove all his options, and he stays motivated and wanting to score some goals - he could be an asset. 

Â