Relegation battle 13-14

Dodgyknees

Even though tonight was shite, cup games are often irrelevant to league games. Remember last season this week we beat Man. City and didn't win in the league for ages.

We beat Norwich who I'd suggest have far worse problem than we do, Palace are a terrible team and are already down and Sunderland could be if they screw up this managerial appointment.

• Like 1

2 of the goals tonight came in the last few minutes when the game had already largely petered out. Spurs were superior no doubt, and no doubt on paper they have an altogether different quality squad to ours, but these moments like the penalty/red card incident and the save from Tonev's shot can have a significant impact on the tone and complexion of a game. Don't get me wrong Spurs were/are the better team and they deserved to win of course, but if it had been a pen and red card on 48 mins, or if we had put it back to 2-1 with 12 mins left, who knows what would've happened.

This thread for me only becomes viable if we get nothing on Saturday as expected but then go on to get nothing away at Hull also. We have to believe that our big players (with the exception of Beast) can come back in for these next 2 games and make a difference to us.

We've had quite an unkind tough set of fixtures to start the season don't forget. I'm sure that by end of December/early January this week will look like it was the low point before things started going ok for us.

There are plenty of warning signs for sure,

1. Injuries to best players already, Okore, Benteke, Gabby, Westwood etc

2. A huge swathe of game changing decisions going against us.

3. Last seasons saviours looking jaded.

4. The new signings failing to impress as yet.

5. A return to the terrible defence from last season.

6. A complete inability to win at home meaning an over reliance on picking up away wins which is a very dangerous habit.

7, Missing sitters.

All worrying signs for sure but it is very early days so i do expect us to get better as the season progresses. The real kick in the nads was Okore getting done in. It has basically severely dented our hopes of conceding less which i thought we were at last beginning to sort... Gut wrenchingly annoying bad luck that. 

The worry is that Okore was the only new signing who actually looked as though he would massively improve us & the rest look decidedly dodgy to say the least. For me our season rests on Helenius, Tonev & the like finding their feet asap. Also we badly need the like of Clark & Baker & Vlaar to show they learned something last season... 

It's dicey to say the least but fingers crossed we will start to show more cohesion soon.

The production line of dodgy decisions we are suffering has gotten to the point of ridicule now though. We conceded a Penalty on Saturday at Norwich for a lesser handball offence to the one at Chelsea which we weren't given. It's frankly embarrassing now just how obvious the bias is in these officials towards the top 4 or 5 plus the London clubs has become and nothing is being done about it. Even tonight although we were outplayed by a better team it could have been different had the Helenius penalty been rightly awarded. 

For me we are no longer taken seriously as a football club subconciously by the officials, this is why they consistently don't award us things whilst readily giving any 50/50 to our opponents... They see us as insignificant so in the heat of the moment, a crucial game changing decision will 90% of the time go to the team that they perceive to be one of the important teams who are challenging at the top for trophies or in the media spotlight in London... That is enough to influence their decision in the heat of the moment... This is a worrying sign to me as it shows just how far this club has fallen. 

Edited by danceoftheshamen
  • Like 2

There are plenty of warning signs for sure,

1. Injuries to best players already, Okore, Benteke, Gabby, Westwood etc

2. A huge swathe of game changing decisions going against us.

3. Last seasons saviours looking jaded.

4. The new signings failing to impress as yet.

5. A return to the terrible defence from last season.

6. A complete inability to win at home meaning an over reliance on picking up away wins which is a very dangerous habit.

7, Missing sitters.

All worrying signs for sure but it is very early days so i do expect us to get better as the season progresses. The real kick in the nads was Okore getting done in. It has basically severely dented our hopes of conceding less which i thought we were at last beginning to sort... Gut wrenchingly annoying bad luck that. 

The worry is that Okore was the only new signing who actually looked as though he would massively improve us & the rest look decidedly dodgy to say the least. For me our season rests on Helenius, Tonev & the like finding their feet asap. Also we badly need the like of Clark & Baker & Vlaar to show they learned something last season... 

It's dicey to say the least but fingers crossed we will start to show more cohesion soon.

The production line of dodgy decisions we are suffering has gotten to the point of ridicule now though. We conceded a Penalty on Saturday at Norwich for a lesser handball offence to the one at Chelsea which we weren't given. It's frankly embarrassing now just how obvious the bias is in these officials towards the top 4 or 5 plus the London clubs has become and nothing is being done about it. Even tonight although we were outplayed by a better team it could have been different had the Helenius penalty been rightly awarded. 

For me we are no longer taken seriously as a football club subconciously by the officials, this is why they consistently don't award us things whilst readily giving any 50/50 to our opponents... They see us as insignificant so in the heat of the moment, a crucial game changing decision will 90% of the time go to the team that they perceive to be one of the important teams who are challenging at the top for trophies or in the media spotlight in London... That is enough to influence their decision in the heat of the moment... This is a worrying sign to me as it shows just how far this club has fallen.

That is a very feasible analysis.

We will be fine this year.

We're **** next season though. Another round of inexperienced kids isn't going to keep us up when we don't have Benteke banging them in against the odds.

I think we've done the right thing in bringing Helenius and Kovac in this summer, they'll be the forwards when Benteke leaves, and we'll have a few bob to spend on that creative mid

Considering Downing and Young were traded for N'Zogbia, I wouldn't hold my breath

and hutton? and given? and jenas on loan?

sadly, those 4 will likely end up costing us more than we got for young and downing

Absolutely stupid thread. What the **** does a cup game have to do with the league?

not only that, but a cup game with half a reserve team against a team who would've beaten our first eleven. And half the people complaining about it would've been among those saying we hadn't a hope as soon as the draw was made

We're out of the cup, happens to every team. Would've been nice to go on a cup run, but ultimately it's hardly the end of the world. Let's see how we go in the league and have patience. It's not a small job we have on our hands

• Like 1

Too early to judge either way. We had 10 players out tonight..relax people. January will come around and we will buy what we may need at the time. We've had a tough start and come out okay.

Absolutely stupid thread. What the **** does a cup game have to do with the league?

not only that, but a cup game with half a reserve team against a team who would've beaten our first eleven. And half the people complaining about it would've been among those saying we hadn't a hope as soon as the draw was made

We're out of the cup, happens to every team. Would've been nice to go on a cup run, but ultimately it's hardly the end of the world. Let's see how we go in the league and have patience. It's not a small job we have on our hands

Reserve players who will be stepping into the first team.

We have a number of injuries and knocks, we have a number of players very off form, we have a number who are leggy.

Considering these reserves look even worse than our supposed quality players and those who were magic last year, do we continue playing the poor form players or do we play those reserves who lack quality.

We gave no depth, I can't see us winning at home, the players with larger contracts have less to prove, our injuries and knocks are going to get worse because we can't replace players as our reserves are woeful.

But as HH said, we have an honest bunch of players.

Its like a **** re run of the Doug years and we are watching a film, but the director says "can we have the chairman as American, the Irish manager as a Scot and the fans not protesting"