FIFA Corruption

islingtonclaret

I see.

Well this report seems about as bent as the decision itself, which I suppose is no great surprise. Football fans are sound effects to FIFA now. Foley. 

I suppose it could be worse. It will be.

So... am I correct in thinking FIFA investigated FIFA and decided that FIFA had done nothing wrong?  

It's usually someone external who has been appointed by FIFA, paid by FIFA, investigating FIFA and then deciding FIFA had done nothing wrong. It's completely transparent. The world cup went to Qatar purely based on football factors. Anyone can see that.

Edited by villa89

Wallets stuffed full of Qatari Oil and Russian Gas money, the FIFA in their infinite wisdom have found someone to blame and Apparently FA are at fault

World Cup inquiry clears Qatar but criticises English FA

The English Football Association has been accused of flouting bidding rules in its attempt to stage the 2018 World Cup - but 2022 hosts Qatar have been cleared of corruption allegations.
A Fifa report says the FA behaved improperly when trying to win the backing of a key voter.
Qatar faced a number of claims surrounding its bid, but the Gulf state is now in the clear.
In effect, Fifa's long-awaited report ends talk of a re-vote.
The news that the FA has come in for criticism is a surprise given that it has repeatedly called for transparency in the voting process and accused Fifa of not doing enough to stamp out corruption.
The FA is accused of trying to "curry favour" with former Fifa vice-president Jack Warner, who quit his role in 2011 amid bribery allegations.
Individuals involved in England's bid could now face action following the conclusion of the two-year inquiry.
Fifa's report, which also looks at the conduct of other bidding nations for both the 2018 and 2022 World Cups, makes a number of damaging points about the conduct of England bid officials.
In particular, it says England's bid team tried to win the support of Warner, who is from Trinidad & Tobago, by:

• Trying to help "a person of interest to him" find a part time job in the United Kingdom
  • Letting the Trinidad and Tobago Under-20 squad hold a training camp in the UK in the summer of 2009
  • Sponsoring a gala dinner for the Caribbean Football Union, at a cost of $55,000, around £35,000
In his 42-page report, Hans Joachim Eckert, Fifa's independent ethics adjudicator, writes that England's bid team "showed a willingness, time and again" to meet Warner's expectations.
By doing so, it damaged "the image of Fifa and the bidding process".
The inquiry looked at the conduct of all nine bidding teams who were trying to win the right to stage either the 2018 and 2022 World Cups.
It was initiated after a number of corruption allegations were made once voting had taken place in 2010.

:crylaugh: :crylaugh:
The FA really should just withdraw from the whole **** shambles. What's the point.

Edited by Eames
  • Like 1

And of course Michel Platini's son getting a job as CEO of Qatar based sports company Burrda shortly after Qatar were awarded the World Cup was purely coincidental.

So basically what this report tells us is don't accuse FIFA of corruption or they'll screw you over?

Yep corrupt organisation accused of corruption corruptly investigates self before completing an anti-corruption report clearing the corrupt organisation of corruption.

I'm shocked. 

So basically what this report tells us is don't accuse FIFA of corruption or they'll screw you over?

Yep corrupt organisation accused of corruption corruptly investigates self before completing an anti-corruption report clearing the corrupt organisation of corruption.

And finds the organisations that accused them of corruption corrupt in a tidy little twisted package.

What can you do about it? **** all. And everyone knows it. 

Three lions on the shirt? Yeah come back when they've been dead for a few million years.

• Like 1

I think I read in private eye that the 'independant' Garcia is very much in Blatter and FIFA's pocket. This report is a total disgrace but hardly surprising....of all of this shit, the most solid conclusion is that the English FA were the biggest wrongdoers...christ. What the hell is it with UEFA and FIFA and England??

I envisage FIFA to be like the Stonecutters in the Simpsons. 'Who holds back the electric car, who gives the World Cup to Qatar, WE DO, WE DO' etc etc. I find it utterly perplexing how such an organisation can exist, it scares me that there are whole countries run like this round the world. The FA are accused of offering comparitavely mild sweeteners to Jack Warner who then I think didn't end up voting for us having promised to. It just goes to prove that we weren't corrupt enough, maybe that's their real findings. Couldn't make it up really.

• Like 4

Time for a breakaway federation, perhaps? A federation of likeminded footballing nations who want no part of FIFA sleaze. It will need a prominent torch bearer, like England to give the new movement some pull.

Garcia has now come and said that the report contains "numerous materially incomplete and erroneous representations of the facts and conclusions"

Bid committees from Russia and Qatar didn’t commit any significant rule breaches in their campaigns to host the 2018 and 2022 soccer World Cups, according to a summary of an 18-month investigation released by FIFA, the sport’s governing body, on Thursday.

Without them, the discussion of a revote on the hosting rights appears to be closed.

The 42-page summary, released by the FIFA-appointed judge who hands down disciplinary sanctions, Hans-Joachim Eckert, said that despite “potentially problematic conduct” from certain unnamed individuals, the evidence was “all in all, not suited to compromise the integrity of the FIFA World Cup 2018/2022 bidding process as a whole.”

The report is the result of an 18-month investigation into the bid process conducted by FIFA’s independent investigator, Michael J. Garcia, a former U.S. attorney. The hosting rights were awarded by 22 members of FIFA’s executive committee in a December 2010 vote that has been under scrutiny ever since. At Mr. Eckert’s request, the exact contents of the report have remained under wraps, turning it into the most closely guarded secret in soccer.

But in a statement released Thursday morning, Mr. Garcia distanced himself from Mr. Eckert’s version of the report.

“Today’s decision by the Chairman of the Adjudicatory Chamber contains numerous materially incomplete and erroneous representations of the facts and conclusions detailed in the Investigatory Chamber’s report,” he said. “I intend to appeal this decision to the FIFA Appeal Committee.”

Thursday’s statement also didn’t highlight some of the most withering criticism of FIFA’s executive committee contained in the original report. The person said that the report directly highlights the committee’s “culture of entitlement,” an “attitude that the rules don’t apply to the executive committee,” and “a failure to properly consider their obligations to the organization.”While Thursday’s statement broadly summarized the findings, it stopped short of listing the individuals who will face ethics proceedings and the charges against them, who were named in Mr. Garcia’s original 350-page report, according to a person familiar with the report.

The summary also contained an assessment of FIFA President Sepp Blatter ’s role in the bidding process and found no direct wrongdoing on his part.

Mr. Garcia’s investigation was complicated by the fact that it hinged on cooperation from FIFA, since he had no power to issue subpoenas. Despite the threat of internal discipline, several officials resisted Mr. Garcia’s investigation.

The most highest-profile dispute came with German soccer legend and former executive committee member Franz Beckenbauer. He publicly feuded with Mr. Garcia during last summer’s World Cup and initially refused to answer questions. When Mr. Garcia charged him, Mr. Beckenbauer was banned for two months from all soccer activities, although the ban was later overturned.

Since then, Mr. Beckenbauer joined Mr. Garcia and several members of the executive committee in calling for a minimally redacted version of the report to be released to the public.

According to people familiar with the thinking of the executive committee, there had been concern over the past two months that the redactions wouldn’t be sufficient to protect the executive committee itself. Those concerns were assuaged by Mr. Eckert’s insistence that the report wouldn’t be released in full.

“Publication of the Investigatory Chamber’s report in its entirety is incompatible with the obligation of confidentiality the members of the FIFA Ethics Committee are under,” Mr. Eckert said in a cover letter accompanying his statement.

The executive committee debated a possible change to the FIFA code to allow for its release at its meeting last month but opted not to make any changes. Defendants would have the right to a hearing and to contest the charges.

“FIFA acknowledges the recommendations mentioned in the statement with regard to improving the bidding process for future FIFA World Cups,” FIFA said in a statement, “but also notes the comments of the chairman of the adjudicatory chamber regarding the bidding process for the 2018/2022 FIFA World Cups as ‘well-thought, robust and professional.’”

With the 2022 World Cup set to remain in Qatar, FIFA will next have to determine when to hold the event, since temperatures in the traditional summertime window can reach 120 degrees there. The discussion over timing has been under way for several months and a decision is due next year.

The report calls for significant reforms to the bidding rules that would prevent promises to support so-called soccer development and to place some restrictions on bidding countries from hosting friendly matches during their campaigns—two of the most popular ways of exercising influence in soccer without violating bidding rules.

The problem with soccer development aid is FIFA has little oversight over what happens to the money once it ends up in the coffers of another country, and it has no prohibitions on where bidding nations allocate development funds.

“To assume, e.g., that envelopes full of cash are given in exchange for votes on a FIFA World Cup host is naive,” the summary said. “Corruption, also in general business not linked to football, is executed in much more sophisticated ways, including money transfers through several different consultants, trusts, offshore companies, etc.”

Source: http://online.wsj.com/articles/qatar-russia-cleared-of-wrongdoing-in-world-cup-bids-1415873984

with the watch thing at the world cup being quietly swept under the carpet i cant see FIFA hitting the FA with anything over the handbags 

also saw something this morning saying he investifated our bidding process but not the USAs or Russias, thats ridiculous

Well now that this is out of the way, we can all just relax and look forward to enjoying the 2022 world cup.

Unless you're gay. Or you die building one of the stadiums.

or are albino... or been to see your team in Israel for a qualifier... or like a drink... or not rich

I think this is FIFA's biggest mistake yet

Now everyone will demand that the whole report is published and everyone will see exactly what they've tried to cover up

Not saying a total reform will happen but a few heads will roll

It'll be interesting to see exactly what the full report said about our own bid compared to what FIFA said about us this morning

I don't for one second think that the English FA have nothing to hide over their bid. I'm sure there's "fishy" stuff in all the bids. I would have been extremely surprised if we'd come out of the report without anything negative against us.

But for us to be the biggest driving force behind the investigation, and then to suddenly be the only one to come out of it with any criticism is very suspicious. It stinks of cherry picking by FIFA, and given what Garcia has said, it sounds like that is exactly what has happened.

• Like 2

Â