Intertoto - Yes or No?

JohnCresswell

Intertoto - Yes or No?  

104 members have voted

1. 1. Intertoto - Yes or No?

• Yes
    • No

Martin O'Neill is still pondering whether or not to enter next season's InterToto Cup, but admits he is currently 'disinclined' to put Villa's name into the hat.

Premiership rivals Blackburn Rovers have already submitted their application, while other sides are weighing-up the pros and cons.

Villa have entered the InterToto three times before and lifted the trophy to secure a Uefa Cup spot in 2001. This year, only clubs finishing in the four positions directly below the Uefa Cup slots will be eligible to enter the InterToto.

Villa could fulfil that criteria with a strong finish to the campaign and O'Neill today reflected: "Yes we have thought about it. There's two games in July-time and then if you get through those you go into a pre-qualifying game for the UEFA Cup.

"That all sounds good, but it depends then where you finish. Let's say you did finish in the top half, there could be two or three teams in front of you who would then have the choice.

"The easiest thing is getting into Europe and not worrying about the InterToto Cup... that's always a thought.

"But I have thought about it. I am not sure yet, really, because I think that most sides would put the application in and maybe one or two sides might finish in front of you who will get that chance before you.

"It is not as if to say there is a definitive rule that if you finish in a certain position you get it. Then we could make, for instance, pre-season plans.

"I would be unsure this season - that's the point. And if it comes to making a decision, which we have to make very soon, I would probably be disinclined to run with it for some of the things that have been set in motion beforehand."

Villa are currently finalising pre-season plans, with a trans-Atlantic trip on the cards. O'Neill added: "We're in the throes of doing something. Nothing has been finalised, but we were thinking of going to America.

"We are making some sort of plans, and of course having to make a decision with the InterToto pretty quickly, that throws things right into the air at this minute.

"Had I been ensconced here, and had it been my second year, I think that we would have taken that opportunity of the InterToto.

"That is probably my thinking at this moment, so I may be disinclined to go with it at this time.

"If only for the fact that you could get yourself worked up about it and everything's going fine, then somebody in front of you gets the opportunity to make that decision.

"If we finish ninth you don't definitely get an InterToto spot. It doesn't mean either that you get one if you finish seventh."

link: www.avfc.co.uk

Would you?

Yeh a very good back door into europe. I swear under the new format Newcastle only had to play one tie to qualify last year. I also see it as good preparation for the season ahead, a chance to try out new signings in a competitive game.

So thats a yes from me.

I would.

But then I'm not really an expert on pre-season routines, work levels, fitness levels and the effect that it would have on a squad of professional footballers. I just see bright lights and a couple of nice trips abroad.

So whatever the club decide, I'm happy with. I'm sure that they'll weight up the pros and cons and make the right choice.

No because this squad still isn't rebuilt enough to cope with the rigours of it. Look at the injury crisis Newcastle have got and I can't believe that that isn't related to their participation in the Intertoto Cup. Our squad couldn't handle that and until it can am quite happy to steer clear of this competition!

I would be presently disinclined to agree with MON's disinclination.

If we are as busy in the summer as we think we will be, then we should have ample reserves to try for the intertwobob cup. Swop 'n chop is the order of the day. We need Europe and I think now more than ever we will be in a position to go for it.

I usually always advocate the intertoto as I reckon the chance to be in europe is worht it. This year however, I'm a bit more dubious and have voted no. Whereas before, we desperately needed europe to attract players, get money, and so it was always worth it. Now however, we all know we're headed in the right direction and MON wants a full pre-season with his player..let him have it.

I'd rather wait and finish 4-7 in the league in 07/08 and qualify properly for 08/09 than do the intertoto and risk early season problems.

however, Wainy mentioned a format that might mean only one game? If this is true then maybe.

The big question is, would we get in even if we wanted? Wouldn't we have to finish above quite a few teams looking unlikely at the moment.

Yes definitely, we can play the kids/reserve team if we are busy across in America. Thats not to say they would be successful but either way its win win due to the experience it will bring and the potential that they might get us through!

Traditionally a no here too, and to be honest I would play kids in the first couple of rounds and then play first team as it is better for them to play competitively together than in a friendly. We cannot wait until Oct / Nov for any signings to bed in again as we cannot afford to write off another season. So for me it's a chance to bring the team together in competition (and games at VP in summer for £5 again) then I'm for it this time.

unsure, I'm traditionally a No but this year there isnt a summer tournament but it does depend on purchases etc too

Asian Cup this year so it would affect teams with a large contingent of Japanese, Koreans, Aussies, Chinese etc.

I think it would be a good opportunity for the likes of Osbourne, Gardner, Stieber, Olejnik et al to stake a place for themselves for the coming season.

We're going to come top in the fair play league which will get us into the EUFA anyway.Keep the bookings down boys.

Is that not drawn out of a hat, so to speak? We may get in the hat, but being picked out is by no means guarenteed....

I voted yes btw.

I'm a yes, although as ml1dch says I'm no expert on pre-season training. If it's a matter of getting together with players to get them used to certain things away from the pressure of games, then we've just done that.

My reasons are largely selfish though in that I just want to see more football, especially given how little we've had lately.

Â