Rugby: General Chat

MessiWillSignForVilla

2 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

I'm hoping the Sarries guys grow into the tournament and that being so poor in this game lights a fire under the squad. 

But being honest I'm struggling to care about the 6N this year with everything that's going on. 

I hope we stop this favouritism and play the inform Premiership players instead of Sarries players who haven’t played for nearly two months.

other than Itoje, none of their players has had any impact in the game.

They’re great players but at this level you need to be match hardened - the RFU shouldn’t allow picks from lower divisions (but that’s another story)

Just now, theboyangel said:

I hope we stop this favouritism and play the inform Premiership players instead of Sarries players who haven’t played for nearly two months.

other than Itoje, none of their players has had any impact in the game.

They’re great players but at this level you need to be match hardened - the RFU shouldn’t allow picks from lower divisions (but that’s another story)

That would be ideal, but I think we both know it's unlikely. 

Similar issues in England football. 

• Like 1

That performance invites hyperbole but I think it’s fair to say that England were appalling. They looked completely clueless in almost every respect. Watching them trying to attack, they just looked like a bunch of cloggers half-heartedly chucking the ball around with no discernible plan or shape. Used Jonny May on the crash-ball on more than one occasion FFS 😂

Credit to Scotland, they were really good but made plenty of mistakes themselves. They turned up, fought hard and that was all they needed to do. They should’ve put a lot more points on the board. 

• Like 3

That game was the first rugby match I've watched in a while, so evidently not a good one to come back on.

One thing that did come to mind watching though. Scrums are basically pointless. They fail over and over and over, and the team in possession 9/10 times keeps possession because the ball always enters the scrum to that teams advantage. They may as well ditch it, though it would fundamentally change the character of the game.

Very poor from England. The game plan is awful, not sure we went more than 5 phases in a game without kicking it away. Then when we did kick, they weren’t challenging enough kicks and never turned Scotland. Every time Hogg got the ball he made a lot of metres. 

Im not sure it’s even down to the Sarries boys not playing for a while. We were like this in the autumn nations. At the moment the game plan just doesn’t challenge the opposition, they know exactly what they are going to come up against. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mikeyp102 said:

Very poor from England. The game plan is awful, not sure we went more than 5 phases in a game without kicking it away. Then when we did kick, they weren’t challenging enough kicks and never turned Scotland. Every time Hogg got the ball he made a lot of metres. 

Im not sure it’s even down to the Sarries boys not playing for a while. We were like this in the autumn nations. At the moment the game plan just doesn’t challenge the opposition, they know exactly what they are going to come up against. 

I think selection is a massive factor and not playing to the strengths of the squad.

Jones has been found out and resorts to winding up the opposition, much to the detriment of the team rather than adapting the tactics  (he’s like the Mourinho on the rugby world!)

England have an enviable wealth of players but he cannot use them properly. 

I’d get rid as soon as this Tourno is over. 

14 hours ago, Chindie said:

One thing that did come to mind watching though. Scrums are basically pointless. They fail over and over and over, and the team in possession 9/10 times keeps possession because the ball always enters the scrum to that teams advantage.

That's the whole point of the set scrum though. The team with the put in should have the advantage, it's not meant to be an equal chance for both sides thing

• Like 1

Two major issues with the England setup for me;

1. The sarries players in the squad. They hadn't played competitive rugby in months. No way should they be in there, especially considering there are in form players in the same positions at clubs like Exeter, Bristol, and Wasps. They weren't match ready. The difference in intensity was massive.

2. The style of play is so negative and defensive. Pleasingly at premier level this season I think rugby has been played incredibly positively. Too much of a style change given that there's been less international rugby this year and time for the players to adapt.

Teams have figured us out now, you could see it in the winter internationals. Until there's a plan b and c expect more results like this. 

48 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

I think selection is a massive factor and not playing to the strengths of the squad.

Jones has been found out and resorts to winding up the opposition, much to the detriment of the team rather than adapting the tactics  (he’s like the Mourinho on the rugby world!)

England have an enviable wealth of players but he cannot use them properly. 

I’d get rid as soon as this Tourno is over. 

Not sure the RFU can afford to get rid of him. With the extended contract it'd be what, about £1.5 to £2m? Unless there's some clause in there. 

Out of interest, who'd be your pick if they did? 

Edited by Rds1983

1 hour ago, Rds1983 said:

Not sure the RFU can afford to get rid of him. With the extended contract it'd be what, about £1.5 to £2m? Unless there's some clause in there. 

Out of interest, who'd be your pick if they did? 

You’re probably right re the pay-off!

The obvious answer for a replacement  would be Rob Baxter from Chiefs but would be loathed to see him leave Exeter.

I’d also like whoever is next to look at bringing in Shaun Edwards into the coaching set up. 

11 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

The obvious answer for a replacement  would be Rob Baxter from Chiefs but would be loathed to see him leave Exeter.

I’d also like whoever is next to look at bringing in Shaun Edwards into the coaching set up. 

Growing up in Devon I'd rather Baxter stayed where he was. 

Also, this is the RFU so they'd probably go to the wrong Chiefs and come back with Gatland. 

Edited by Rds1983
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, theboyangel said:

Can’t see Baxter leaving Exeter yet. Maybe after the next World Cup. 

As for Edwards, again it’ll probably be after the World Cup as he’ll now want to see what he can do with France 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bickster said:

That's the whole point of the set scrum though. The team with the put in should have the advantage, it's not meant to be an equal chance for both sides thing

I was always under the impression that the advantage came from being able to influence the result by the manner of the put in (spin etc), but ultimately the ball should enter the scrum down the middle and it's for the hooker to get possession.

From the little rugby I've watched in the past few years, it seems, if the scrum even gets to that point, the put in is just passed straight to one side. In which case, why bother?

Which, together with the fact the scrum seems to fail over and over until a penalty is given in most cases, it seems pointless.

6 minutes ago, Chindie said:

I was always under the impression that the advantage came from being able to influence the result by the manner of the put in (spin etc), but ultimately the ball should enter the scrum down the middle and it's for the hooker to get possession.

From the little rugby I've watched in the past few years, it seems, if the scrum even gets to that point, the put in is just passed straight to one side. In which case, why bother?

Which, together with the fact the scrum seems to fail over and over until a penalty is given in most cases, it seems pointless.

I can't remember the last time a Scrum was reversed for feeding tbh but the general point is the side with the put in gets the advantage, that just the game

The Scrum hasn't collapsed once today in the Wales game (that I've noticed, I am making up phones whilst watching it so may have missed it)

The set scrum is there to replicate the ruck and maul with the advantage to the team that didn't foul, it's just a way of restarting the game after the infringement. If you did away with it, there's be 15 standing men against 15 and that would just be very odd (and probably why girls rugby reduced to 13 player teams)

Â