Rugby: General Chat

MessiWillSignForVilla

14 minutes ago, bickster said:

OMG we've got ourselves a touch rugby fan! :trollface:

Haha nope, I’m welsh so union through and through, though I live in full on League territory and they keep trying to get me to attend a match, not happening.

Its a really interesting situation though I think, when you consider the kind of stuff other sportspersons have gotten away with and allowed to continue their careers it’s insane really.

• Like 1

England team is out. Step in the right direction with Heinz starting and Ludlum in. Biggest thing will be the impact Earl makes when he comes on as he is an actual number 8. I still think we are wasting Curry at 8, he’s a great 7. 
Im actually quite nervous about the Scotland game, they should’ve won last week and could smell blood here 

• Like 1

On 05/02/2020 at 17:52, bannedfromHandV said:

Finding this Israel Folau / Catalan Dragons situation in Rugby League very interesting.

It seems the league itself is now getting together to prevent 'these type of signings' from taking place in the future........what exactly do they mean by 'these type of signings' I wonder? Will they now be preventing anyone religious from playing rugby league (in a country that still hilariously considers itself to be Christian)?

Because that's what this is, Israel Folau has not physically attacked any homosexual people (or any people to my knowledge), he's literally just repeating scriptures from the fictional book he chooses to believe in.

Now I am not religious whatsoever, in fact I'm the other end of the scale, I think we should be eradicating all forms of religion frankly but that's another story. But, be that as it may, I'm finding something grotesquely uncomfortable about the fact that they're all now rallying around to try and prevent this individual from working, from doing something that he's very good at and lots of people would pay to see him do.

There's also a distinct irony in promoting acceptance and tolerance and then simultaneously chastising someone to this extent based solely on their opinions and beliefs.

I find it worryingly indicative of the modern/future world.

Folau is a dodgy piece of work. He is a member of a small sect of Christians (“The Truth of Jesus Christ Church”) who have some extreme views. 

Whilst working under the Wallabies contract (said to be worth some $7m) he had agreed, as part of that contract, to abide be a social media code of conduct whereby he would not post offensive or intolerant content. He then decided to preach on social media about certain minority groups going to hell unless they repented and joined Christianity. Rugby Australia contacted him and gave him an official warning, telling him that form of intolerance was not in accordance with their values and as an employee and a major ambassador for Rugby Australia he needed to tone it down or his contract would be terminated. Folau agreed and even said he’d walk away from the game if he was causing major problems for the code.

Another year goes by and again Folau makes a statement on his social media saying certain minorities would be going to hell unless they repented their sinful ways and found god. This time Rugby Australia called him in and terminated his contract as they had warned they would. Folau then turns around and claims he was being religiously discriminated against and set up a crowd funding campaign whereby Christians from all around the world could sent him money “to fund his campaign against the unjust termination of his contract”. He was donated over $1m by his supporters and rejected arbitration with Rugby Aus, taking his claim for compensation to court. Rugby Aus eventually paid him out another $1m to make it all go away.

After that performance no team of any football code would touch him with a barge pole, until he found an obscure Rugby League team in the south of France who would take him on. 

3-0 at half time in match between England and Scotland is usually reserved for football...

the weather has played a major part in how the game is being played.

i think it’s advantage England with the wind behind them now for the second half.

• 2 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

Eddie Jones continues with his square pegs for round holes selection.

Lawes back at 6, Curry continuing at 8, Daly at 15 and bizarrely Jonathan Josephs on the wing... 

Prediction: Ireland by 10 points. 

i'm not even that optimistic

• Like 1

He’s trying to squeeze as many versatile backs onto the pitch as possible to make up for the 6/2 split on the bench. Still batshit crazy, mind. 

Read a stat earlier saying that we’ve got a 43% win rate with Lawes at 6. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

Very odd selection. If we finish 4th in the table, do we see the RFU giving him the push? It’s not like he could argue that it’s a rebuild team after WC as very little change 

Some of his press remarks and stubbornness probably irk the RFU hierarchy so wouldn’t be surprised. 

• Like 1

Â