Rugby: General Chat

MessiWillSignForVilla

Well, a better performance but still not great by England. 

it may be an unpopular opinion but I think Billy Vunipola is finished as an international no.8. He was a passenger yet again today.

Also Robson has to start over Youngs at scrum half - we looked quicker and more direct when he came on. 

I’d also drop Daly. 

Scotland v Wales match was utterly fantastic. I thought Wales were down and out but turned it into a bonus point win away from home

Again their opposition ended with 14 men on the pitch and I do again think Wales would have lost without the red card

What a great young player Rees-Zammit is

• Like 4

50 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

it may be an unpopular opinion but I think Billy Vunipola is finished as an international no.8. He was a passenger yet again today.

He’s a bit limited isn’t he? If England aren’t bullying teams then he’s a wasted shirt. He’s anonymous when we’re on the back foot. I think you need more than just a big lump as an 8 in general, too.

I really don’t like how this team are regressing now under Jones. He seems too set on an idea of what he wants the team to be and it’s pretty grim stuff.

23 minutes ago, bickster said:

Scotland v Wales match was utterly fantastic. I thought Wales were down and out but turned it into a bonus point win away from home

Again their opposition ended with 14 men on the pitch and I do again think Wales would have lost without the red card

What a great young player Rees-Zammit is

Yep it was great. Who knew international rugby could be so entertaining 😀

That tap tackle at the end!

On another note, I was absolutely gutted for Jack Willis. I always find serious injuries pretty upsetting but this was a particularly tough watch, seeing a young player, buzzing from scoring in his first 6N match, screaming in pain, especially after his previous injury problems. Fingers crossed it’s not as bad as it looks. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, JB said:

On another note, I was absolutely gutted for Jack Willis. I always find serious injuries pretty upsetting but this was a particularly tough watch, seeing a young player, buzzing from scoring in his first 6N match, screaming in pain, especially after his previous injury problems. Fingers crossed it’s not as bad as it looks.

Hear, hear.

• Like 3

Pretty disgusting from Negri, having watched it again. I don’t believe for a second that it was intentional but it’s very, very reckless to the point of deserving punishment. Comes over the top (arguably from the side), drops onto Willis’s calf, pinning it to the ground, then pulls him to the floor. 

Got to have more of a duty of care to your peers than that. 

• 2 weeks later...

Well, big game for Eddie Jones today - Wales are never easy and Jones has predictably selected his misfiring favourites yet again. 

I cannot see England being competitive enough in the right areas of the pitch so predict a loss by 6-9 points. 

Yep, I’m struggling to see anything other than a Cymraeg win. I think we’ll have a fairly good idea of who’s going to win after the first ten minutes.

There’s an overlap with the first half of the Villa game so may well switch over to that at half time if it plays out how I expect.

Although I’m tempted to give both a miss. Watching my teams probably get beaten by sides I really don’t like won’t make for a great Saturday night 😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, theboyangel said:

Well, big game for Eddie Jones today - Wales are never easy and Jones has predictably selected his misfiring favourites yet again. 

I cannot see England being competitive enough in the right areas of the pitch so predict a loss by 6-9 points. 

On the other hand, Wales have been particularly lucky so far benefitting from sending offs in both games that I think have given them wins, they otherwise wouldn't have got. This is a Wales team on it's way down and starting to rebuild.

Rees-Zammit is a bright new star of the future though and may be the reason Wales will edge it.

I think it will be a close game. England can't be as bad as they have been so far (Can they?) and Wales aren't as good as their position in the table suggests

3 minutes ago, bickster said:

On the other hand, Wales have been particularly lucky so far benefitting from sending offs in both games that I think have given them wins, they otherwise wouldn't have got. This is a Wales team on it's way down and starting to rebuild.

Rees-Zammit is a bright new star of the future though and may be the reason Wales will edge it.

I think it will be a close game. England can't be as bad as they have been so far (Can they?) and Wales aren't as good as their position in the table suggests

I expect Wales will raise their game for this and again benefit from refereeing decisions. 

England shouldn’t be as bad as they have been but under EJ we’re predictable and one dimensional so expect normal service of recent poor play to resume. 

Edited by theboyangel

Wales have been appalling since Pivac took over, as Bick said further up, the results (heavily influenced by red cards) have papered over really poor performances in the two games so far.

I honestly cannot think of one good performance under Pivac so if England turn up today they will win easily, which pains me greatly to say.

29 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

I expect Wales will raise their game for this and again benefit from refereeing decisions. 

Undoubtedly, Wales will attempt to raise their game, it's England but both the sending off's in the Wales games weren't as a result of Wales doing anything, they were just stupid decisions by the players who got sent off, no real sustained pressure caused them. In fact Ireland were the better team for 40 minutes with 14 on the pitch, they just ran out of steam in the final quarter

• Like 1

Yeah, to be fair none of my Welsh mates nor my in-laws are confident at all. I just think you’re more likely to get a bit of spirit out of the Welsh team and that’ll count for a lot. They’ve also got better players than us in some key areas.

Two teams playing below average rugby. Should be a cracker...

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, bickster said:

Undoubtedly, Wales will attempt to raise their game, it's England but both the sending off's in the Wales games weren't as a result of Wales doing anything, they were just stupid decisions by the players who got sent off, no real sustained pressure caused them. In fact Ireland were the better team for 40 minutes with 14 on the pitch, they just ran out of steam in the final quarter

Wales were the poorer team in both matches, including when the opposition were a man down. Honestly folks, I can’t begin to describe how bad wales have become since Garland left.

Discipline just isn’t there and the players seem to have no clue on game plan, we barely seem to be able to win a set piece let alone have a plan for what to do with the ball once we get it.

The Ireland game summed it up for me, marginally ahead with 10 seconds left on the clock (having played against a man less for 60 odd minutes) and Gareth Davies (a seasoned pro) kicked a god awful grubber into space turning over possession. Had it not been for a wayward kick to touch from a penalty by the irish replacement fly-half we’d have been in real trouble facing a line out on our own try line.

Worrying times for wales.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bannedfromHandV said:

The Ireland game summed it up for me, marginally ahead with 10 seconds left on the clock (having played against a man less for 60 odd minutes) and Gareth Davies (a seasoned pro) kicked a god awful grubber into space turning over possession. Had it not been for a wayward kick to touch from a penalty by the irish replacement fly-half we’d have been in real trouble facing a line out on our own try line.

Possibly the most inept tactical decision I've seen made in an International for at least a decade

My PE teacher in first year seniors would have shouted at me for that

Just keep hold of the ball then boot it out when the time is gone FFS!

Â