Rugby: General Chat

MessiWillSignForVilla

Obviously Twitter is a cesspit but the Ellis Genge thing stems from the latest example of a video of an English player being a big horrible nasty baddie going viral amongst certain Wales supporters.

It’s not just the usual Alf Garnett word or kids who do this with football - it’s seemingly ‘normal’ adults having meltdowns about it. A teacher I work with has shared and written a bit of a diatribe about it and as far I can tell, it all started with a post from a former Welsh international. Personally slating English rugby players is a form of populism I swear. People are still laying into Genge about it in the comments of his tweet, apparently.

I was feeling quite magnanimous and apathetic about this result but they’re just the worst team to lose to if you step outside your own bubble. Even when they win, there’ll be someone hunting for something that’ll get the anti-English brigade frothing at the mouth. Just utter **** nutters.

It’s going beyond banter. This hostility and lack of perspective kind of ruins the game in some ways. Sport in general seems to be becoming pretty toxic with social media emboldening this behaviour and it’s really bloody depressing. Just makes me want retreat further into my own echo chamber of people who are alright.

Says a lot that the best place I’ve found to talk about rugby with fans of different nations is a brummie football team forum. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, theboyangel said:

I didn’t watch the interviews but no matter how bad, I don’t think I would be so incensed to send abuse to the reporter on social media. 

it’s a sad indictment on current society 

I wouldn’t send abuse nor abuse someone in the street but if I was asked to feedback on her it would be 0/10.

She managed to alienate both Alun Wyn-Jones and Owen Farrell and I wonder where they dig these folks up from, I mean what criteria did she fill in order to be in the privileged journalistic position of interviewing top sportsmen immediately after a match because, at a guess, it’s not her in depth knowledge of rugby union.

edit - it was Sonja McLaughlin who has been involved in this space for many a year now, man standards are slipping at the beeb big time. 

Edited by bannedfromHandV
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Think Jones' time has to be up soon. So many things about his management just don't sit right with me.

He's using this competition to essentially give his favourite Saracens players a pre season. The Six Nations should really be an opportunity to blood players that you'll be looking at for the next World Cup. We've got some amazing talent in the Premiership, and these players aren't getting a look in despite performing to a high level week in, week out. Sets a terrible example these players.

Our style of play is so boring now. Again, we have the players out our disposal to play dynamic, exciting Rugby, but Jones is having none of it.

Not to mention his bad mouthing of the opposition that he tends to make a habit of, which doesn't exactly help with the "England are arrogant" perception (which I think is incorrect).

• Like 3

So the ref has admitted that the first two tries were wrong. 
It’s great that he accepts the errors of his ways, but doesn’t really help. Without those two, it’s a completely different game and England wouldn’t have been how they were. 
Again, no excuses from England, the tries were given and England simply didn’t react to the situation. 

23 hours ago, bickster said:

Rugby World Cup postponed until Next year

The BBC article didn't mention the fact it was the woman's world cup at all.

Almost as if it was being deliberately vague. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

A few changes for the England side this weekend. 
Think Cowan Dickie deserves the start as does Malins. 

The French team looks good though, and the form England are in I don’t see us getting anything. Thomas, Vakatawa, Fickou is very impressive and will be so hard to stop. Then add in DuPont and they’ll get excellent ball. 

For once the Welsh will be wanting us to win

• Like 1

8 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

A few changes for the England side this weekend. 
Think Cowan Dickie deserves the start as does Malins. 

The French team looks good though, and the form England are in I don’t see us getting anything. Thomas, Vakatawa, Fickou is very impressive and will be so hard to stop. Then add in DuPont and they’ll get excellent ball. 

For once the Welsh will be wanting us to win

Eddie is still sticking with Vunipola at 8 though regardless of him being a poor imitation of his old self for some time.. It's laughabe that Sam Simmonds could be called up to the British Lions before being selected by Jones (and Dombrandt should also be in the set up)

Farrell needs dropping too, doesnt matter of whether he's shoehorned in at 10 or 12, the ball won't get spread out further from him. Shame as Marcus Smith is having his best club season at 10 (and.Simmonds is.continuing his fine form for Chiefs too). 

England are going to get humped and Malins will be thrown under the bus and never seen again in an England shirt under Jones (as many have been before) 

France to win by 15 pts. 

1 hour ago, theboyangel said:

Eddie is still sticking with Vunipola at 8 though regardless of him being a poor imitation of his old self for some time.. It's laughabe that Sam Simmonds could be called up to the British Lions before being selected by Jones (and Dombrandt should also be in the set up)

Farrell needs dropping too, doesnt matter of whether he's shoehorned in at 10 or 12, the ball won't get spread out further from him. Shame as Marcus Smith is having his best club season at 10 (and.Simmonds is.continuing his fine form for Chiefs too). 

England are going to get humped and Malins will be thrown under the bus and never seen again in an England shirt under Jones (as many have been before) 

France to win by 15 pts. 

I agree that there are others, but that was never going to happen with this match. Especially with the Covid rules, I’m not sure with the agreement RFU have with prem rugby he could even make those changes at this stage of the tournament. I’m sure he can only bring in players as a replacement to injury 

11 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

I agree that there are others, but that was never going to happen with this match. Especially with the Covid rules, I’m not sure with the agreement RFU have with prem rugby he could even make those changes at this stage of the tournament. I’m sure he can only bring in players as a replacement to injury 

My argument is we should never have selected players having no competitive matches under their belts for over 2 months - I didn’t buy the ‘they’ll be fresh’ argument and it’s proven it was a mistake by Jones, who is making many errors and still not learning from them.

I get the current COVID restrictions but clubs have the same bubbles and precautions in place (admittedly with varying successes!) and the likes of Scotland are releasing players back to the clubs between matches. I just think Jones is a stubborn old goat who has his favourites and that’s that.

This tourno is an opportunity missed to prepare for the 2023 World Cup. Plenty of EJ’s squad most likely won’t make it so why not get a cohesive unit together with that in mind (last World Cup we bemoaned having an inexperienced squad) 

From Champions to 5th place is a disgrace but Jones will somehow survive (probably as he’s too expensive to sack - well done RFU!) 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

My argument is we should never have selected players having no competitive matches under their belts for over 2 months - I didn’t buy the ‘they’ll be fresh’ argument and it’s proven it was a mistake by Jones, who is making many errors and still not learning from them.

I get the current COVID restrictions but clubs have the same bubbles and precautions in place (admittedly with varying successes!) and the likes of Scotland are releasing players back to the clubs between matches. I just think Jones is a stubborn old goat who has his favourites and that’s that.

This tourno is an opportunity missed to prepare for the 2023 World Cup. Plenty of EJ’s squad most likely won’t make it so why not get a cohesive unit together with that in mind (last World Cup we bemoaned having an inexperienced squad) 

From Champions to 5th place is a disgrace but Jones will somehow survive (probably as he’s too expensive to sack - well done RFU!) 

England are running differently than the likes of Scotland and so cannot release players between matches. 

Before the tournament started yes, others should have been in. I think Eddie’s thinking was keep the normal players even though not played in this squad as it’ll get them Lions practice. He’s have been heavily criticised if he hadn’t picked the likes of Itoje and George anyway.

I think the summer tour would’ve been the ideal time to bring through new caps, as he did with the likes of Curry and Underhill when the bigger names are off with the lions. 

He won’t be sacked, and personally I don’t think he should be

• Like 1

Â