Libor Kozák

samjp26

I dont think people realise how difficult that header actually was. He had to bent his neck backwards and still got enough power and accuracy into a part of the goal the keeper could never have got to due to his body movement

Yes 100% agree. I think the partnership with Benteke will worry a few defences this this season. 

To suggest Kozak is better at heading than benteke is pure madness.

After watching the goal again i think he took it better than I first thought.

Do you see what I'm saying though? It isn't madness. Those three headed chances by Kozak—one offside, one well saved, and the goal—were all strikers finishes with the head. They were deft. Benteke is a beast, has technical ability, power, everything, but I don't think I've ever seen him deftly time and position a header. The headers he scores are good—he wins balls Kozak couldn't dream of—especially when they're launched at him from Guzan. But he has never deftly positioned a header. And he misses some headed chances when going for power. If Benteke could do deft headed finishes, then he would be another step towards being the complete striker. 

Edit...or is this going to be another black and white? :)

Edit...Kozak has shown this in one game so far for Villa, but the signs are good. What he showed is a skill—a difficult skill not all players have. 

Edited by praisedmambo
  • Like 1

Just so I'm clear. If you have a negative opinion it's a case of you have to give him more time and chance to settle. However it's fine after one game to make a claim that he's better than benteke at heading the ball. Yep that seems consistent.

And with what I said I also, at the same time, acknowledged the limited time he has been at the club, and that it was an early judgement. I gave scope for him to get better or worse, you just decide immediately he's worthless, and that's it. I remember how surprised I was that you became positive at the end of last season.

Just so I'm clear. If you have a negative opinion it's a case of you have to give him more time and chance to settle. However it's fine after one game to make a claim that he's better than benteke at heading the ball. Yep that seems consistent.

And with what I said I also, at the same time, acknowledged the limited time he has been at the club, and that it was an early judgement. I gave scope for him to get better or worse, you just decide immediately he's worthless, and that's it. I remember how surprised I was that you became positive at the end of last season.
I'm still positive about certain things, I just don't feel the need to happy clap everything to do with the club.

I think bacuna is a superb signing, okore would have been a superb signing, defence is much better and we're making improvements.

I'm just not that impressed with kozak and don't think he'll be a good enough player to consistently perform at premier league level.

Edited by Big_John_10

I've tried to explain that 'Benteke could learn from Kozak in some regards with his heading' ISN'T the same as 'Kozak is better than Benteke at heading' yet you've dismissed it as a simple black/white selection of 'Kozak is better than Benteke at heading' or 'Kozak isn't better than Benteke at heading'.

Saying 'Kozak is better than Benteke at heading' would be a ridiculous, early judgement. Saying that Benteke could learn from Kozak with heading as Kozak can clearly place a header as he did it twice (not something I've noticed CB to do particularly well. He's great at powering them, but lacks the finesse).

Overall, Benteke is clearly better in the air as he wins a large amount of his aerial challenges, whereas Kozak doesn't. But I don't see the issue in what has been said. Nobody is making a judgement there. You're just dying to pick an argument it seems and putting words in people's mouths is your chosen form of attack.

Shame, as you can clearly debate intelligently normally.

• Like 1

To be 100% honest, I think he's just a clogger. He reminds me a lot of Heskey in his decline. Looks like he's moving in slow motion. Not as good in the air as you think he'd be. The ball seems to be bounce off him and controls him instead of him controlling the ball. He puts in a 100% but most of his game is just shoving his way through. Slow and uses his height to win headers instead of actually leaping.

But you have to give him a chance. A run of 20-30 games in a variety of scenarios with different formations and varying opponents to really get a clear look at him. It's maddening to see people come on here and say, "Sorry, ain't gonna do." Sheer sample size tells you that it's simply not enough to look at him in such a short amount of time. You can criticize him, but realize that anything you say is incredibly premature.

best post I've read regarding kozak and agree with nearly all of it. the guy genuinely does look like he's going for a casual evening jog when it's a 1-on-1 situation which genuinely infuriates me. I hate players who look like they aren't running at full pace, or at least enough pace, to collect a ball. for example, Tonev redeemed himself by busting a lung and reaching a ball by the corner flag before the defender could shepherd it out

Big John doesn't seem to be saying anything overly negative, nor saying anything that a good portion of people would agree with, I don't understand why users are picking apart his every post?

praisedmambo specifically said that to suggest Kozak being better than Benteke at heading was not madness. he then bases his opinion comparing over a year's worth of watching Benteke, to 3 headers Kozak make at the weekend

I would say that the header after the missed penalty at Arsenal was an intelligent, controlled, deft header from Benteke. His 3rd at Sunderland also springs to mind as something less powered, more placed.

I had an idea in the match thread about why Kozak is so poor in the air. Figured we could discuss it here.

I think he struggles to track the ball in the air. That puts him out of position and therefore jumping side wards/backwards instead of straight up into the air, which is what I see him doing time after time.

Thoughts?

Big John doesn't seem to be saying anything overly negative, nor saying anything that a good portion of people would agree with, I don't understand why users are picking apart his every post?

praisedmambo specifically said that to suggest Kozak being better than Benteke at heading was not madness. he then bases his opinion comparing over a year's worth of watching Benteke, to 3 headers Kozak make at the weekend

I would say that the header after the missed penalty at Arsenal was an intelligent, controlled, deft header from Benteke. His 3rd at Sunderland also springs to mind as something less powered, more placed.

His 3rd at Sunderland which was a shot with his right foot?  :detect:

To suggest Kozak is better at heading than benteke is pure madness.

After watching the goal again i think he took it better than I first thought.

I think you could argue he's better at his accuracy when he does get his head to the ball. However, Benteke is far more effective because he's so much better at winning the ball.

Â