Best Debut Albums

maqroll

3 minutes ago, Marka Ragnos said:

The debut of Paisley's Close Lobsters (Foxheads Stalk The Land) made an outsized impression on the college radio scene in the States, and to say that I adored this album doesn't come close. My friends and I would smoke weed like crazy and listen to it over and over. Got to see them in Boston. Unforgettable show. Still think the record holds up. I think the singer is, like me, a middle-aged professor somewhere now. The music is interesting because it's kind of the apex of jangle pop to me. So many great songs.

This is a great album. Criminally underrated band.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Seat68 said:

Surprised that no one has mentioned Suicides debut, its one that pops up a lot, thought it might feature. By no one, I mean no one has mentioned it over the past couple of pages, it might be mentioned on page 6.

It is indeed utterly brilliant and again so influential on it's and future generations. I bought a copy of the repress the other year and still play it reasonably regularly. Good choice

@tonyh29would obviously hate it. Always the benchmark of quality :crylaugh: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Marka Ragnos said:

The debut of Paisley's Close Lobsters (Foxheads Stalk The Land) made an outsized impression on the college radio scene in the States, and to say that I adored this album doesn't come close. My friends and I would smoke weed like crazy and listen to it over and over. Got to see them in Boston. Unforgettable show. Still think the record holds up. I think the singer is, like me, a middle-aged professor somewhere now. The music is interesting because it's kind of the apex of jangle pop to me. So many great songs.

Never heard of them, but I rather like that (I'm a sucker for anything with jangly 12 strings). And I think I spotted a lyrical reference to 'The Stars of Heaven' in there - another jangle pop band. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, bickster said:

It is indeed utterly brilliant and again so influential on it's and future generations. I bought a copy of the repress the other year and still play it reasonably regularly. Good choice

@tonyh29would obviously hate it. Always the benchmark of quality :crylaugh: 

i gave it a whirl on the youtube  , I didn't hate it ...

I absolutely hated it  , WTF is Johnny , that's not music , that's the synth equivalent of me having to go through my kids music recitals on the recorder as 14 kids all play the same tune differently and out of tune 

• Haha 2

26 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

i gave it a whirl on the youtube  , I didn't hate it ...

I absolutely hated it  , WTF is Johnny , that's not music , that's the synth equivalent of me having to go through my kids music recitals on the recorder as 14 kids all play the same tune differently and out of tune 

Musicians who have listed Suicide as an influence include, among others, Television, Chrome, Wire, Public Image Ltd, Gary Numan, Richard Hell, Pere Ubu, Patti Smith, Talking Heads,[31] Cabaret Voltaire, Steve Albini (from Shellac, Rapeman, and Big Black),[32] The Jesus and Mary Chain,[26] Bauhaus,[33] The Sisters of Mercy,[34] Soft Cell, Sigue Sigue Sputnik, The Birthday Party,[35] Joy Division,[26] Nick Cave,[36] D.A.F., Erasure, the music of Giant Haystacks, The KLF,[37] Ministry, Nine Inch Nails,[38] OMD, Rocket from the Tombs, Cassandra Complex (and covered "Frankie Teardrop"), Mudhoney,[39] Ariel Pink[40], Nitzer Ebb,[41] Depeche Mode,[42] R.E.M. (covered "Ghost Rider"),[43] Devo, Ultravox, Massive Attack,[44] Autechre, The Chemical Brothers, Daft Punk, Aphex Twin,[45] The Kills, AFI,[46] and Bruce Springsteen.[47]

Wiki

You are still the benchmark of quality :D 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 02/09/2013 at 11:37, CarewsEyebrowDesigner said:

Even though the post is 10 years old, I'm so pleased to see this here.

My favourite debut album. Sound-wise, I always thought it could have been a double album with Antics. There's not enough double albums these days.

The early 00s (2000~05) had some outstanding debut albums.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, bickster said:

Musicians who have listed Suicide as an influence include, among others, Television, Chrome, Wire, Public Image Ltd, Gary Numan, Richard Hell, Pere Ubu, Patti Smith, Talking Heads,[31] Cabaret Voltaire, Steve Albini (from Shellac, Rapeman, and Big Black),[32] The Jesus and Mary Chain,[26] Bauhaus,[33] The Sisters of Mercy,[34] Soft Cell, Sigue Sigue Sputnik, The Birthday Party,[35] Joy Division,[26] Nick Cave,[36] D.A.F., Erasure, the music of Giant Haystacks, The KLF,[37] Ministry, Nine Inch Nails,[38] OMD, Rocket from the Tombs, Cassandra Complex (and covered "Frankie Teardrop"), Mudhoney,[39] Ariel Pink[40], Nitzer Ebb,[41] Depeche Mode,[42] R.E.M. (covered "Ghost Rider"),[43] Devo, Ultravox, Massive Attack,[44] Autechre, The Chemical Brothers, Daft Punk, Aphex Twin,[45] The Kills, AFI,[46] and Bruce Springsteen.[47]

Whilst not necessarily wishing to align myself with the one-man faction that is @tonyh29, that list - with the notable exceptions of Television, REM and Springsteen - pretty much says to me 'avoid like the plague'. 

• Shocked 1

Just now, mjmooney said:

Whilst not necessarily wishing to align myself with the one-man faction that is @tonyh29, that list - with the notable exceptions of Television, REM and Springsteen - pretty much says to me 'avoid like the plague'. 

Oh Suicide is definitely not in your ballpark

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

Never heard of them, but I rather like that (I'm a sucker for anything with jangly 12 strings). And I think I spotted a lyrical reference to 'The Stars of Heaven' in there - another jangle pop band. 

They're brilliant, one of my favourite bands. Their last album a couple of years ago was great, like they'd never been away.

• Like 1

Just now, Risso said:

They're brilliant, one of my favourite bands. Their last album a couple of years ago was great, like they'd never been away.

Who? Close Lobsters, or The Stars of Heaven? 

8 minutes ago, Risso said:

I'm getting vibes of Fiction Factory from that song 

8 minutes ago, Marka Ragnos said:

The Beat Happening. Started K Records more or less … 

I used to quite like Beat Happening, but I preferred their second album. Indian Summer in particular, The This Many Boyfriends Club (might not be for those whose tastes demand a tune etc). Great second album.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Seat68 said:

I used to quite like Beat Happening, but I preferred their second album. Indian Summer in particular, The This Many Boyfriends Club (might not be for those whose tastes demand a tune etc). Great second album.

Same here, really. Better songs and a little more clarity in the band's sound on . The first album to me is more about carving out a unique space through self-production of a whole underground scene using a technology -- cassettes -- to share it easily and widely.

• Like 1

Â