Best Debut Albums

maqroll

6 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

Loudon Wainwright III

In my opinion he didn't hit a bad patch. It's a great debut and then every album that followed didn't disappoint. I say every album, up to Therapy. 

Edited by Seat68
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Marka Ragnos said:

Sweet "rare groove."

As important an influence on early hip hop as GilScott Heron and the Last Poets. DJ Kool Herc and Grandmaster Flash both used breakbeats from Cymande and then De La Soul did it again later on

Still largely unknown in the UK where they formed, more well known in the US Inthink

• Like 1

1976. Certainly one of the best rock debuts ever ... no question. Tom Petty stood WAY out at the time, and like so many American acts that challenge the status quo, England helped "discover" him for America (same with the Pixies, Chrissie Hyde, etc.). I know someone who knew members of the band in those early days in Florida, and he said they were a local sensation as the "Mud diggers" or something like that, but  being from northern Florida at the time was just really very unhip (it perhaps still is lol). 

Edited by Marka Ragnos
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Marka Ragnos said:

I know someone who knew members of the band in those early days in Florida, and he said they were a local sensation as the "Mud diggers" or something like that. 

Mudcrutch. Essentially the Heartbreakers plus Tom Leadon (brother of Bernie Leadon of the Eagles). They reunited in more recent years and recorded two albums, plus a live EP, all of which are excellent. 

Edited by mjmooney
  • Thanks 1

I really find myself struggling to accept many entries and their ranking on this Rolling Stone list ... of greatest debut albums. I suppose these lists are meant as conversation starters. What do you think of the rankings? I would never put the Ramones at No. 1. I would never even include the Strokes. Fionna Apple higher ranked than Run DMC?! No, no, no.

2022 IS THE anniversary of some truly historic debuts — including classics by Pavement, Mary J Blige, Roxy Music, and the Clipse. So let’s break it down. Here are the 100 greatest out-of-the-box LP statements ever. What makes a killer debut album? First off, a sense of a band or artist arriving fully formed, ready to upend the game right at that very second. With that in mind, albums got knocked down a few slots if the artist went on to far greater achievements; conversely, we gave a little extra recognition to debuts that were so great you almost can’t fault the artist for not making anything as good for the rest of their career. EPs and mixtapes were not considered, and we skipped solo debuts by artists who were already in well-known bands, which is why you won’t see John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band, Paul Simon, or The Chronic. And please don’t @ us until you make sure your favorite band’s classic first album is actually, in fact, their first album. You’d be surprised: The road to unimpeachable greatness is often paved with forgotten false starts. These people nailed it on Day One.

Edited by Marka Ragnos

23 minutes ago, Marka Ragnos said:

I really find myself struggling to accept many entries and their ranking on this Rolling Stone list ... of greatest debut albums. I suppose these lists are meant as conversation starters. What do you think of the rankings? I would never put the Ramones at No. 1. I would never even include the Strokes. Fionna Apple higher ranked than Run DMC?! No, no, no.

That’s only the current version of that list, they’ve redone it a number of times and albums have wildly moved in rankings

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

I found Little Ship disappointing but requited love never produces the best art! 😄

I really loved I'm Alright so any follow ups had a lot to live up to. I remember listening to his albums in order and thought, I will hit something weak soon. I didn't. 

One Man Guy (by Rufus) is my all time favourite song, but as time has gone on LWIII's original is becoming my favoured version.

2 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

I really loved I'm Alright so any follow ups had a lot to live up to. I remember listening to his albums in order and thought, I will hit something weak soon. I didn't. 

One Man Guy (by Rufus) is my all time favourite song, but as time has gone on LWIII's original is becoming my favoured version.

I heard Samson and the Warder on my brother's sampler as a kid and then became a real fan after seeing the BBC Sight and Sound performance.

Rufus does a great version of One Man Guy.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Marka Ragnos said:

Some IMO awful shite in that list, I’ve only got twelve of them.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, MakemineVanilla said:

Loudon Wainwright III

His debut album and its follow-up were both quite stark and bleak - 'serious' singer-songwriter stuff. But with the third one he took quite a noticeable swerve into more comic material, and never looked back. 

Anybody who can duet with Dame Edna gets my vote: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

Some IMO awful shite in that list, I’ve only got twelve of them.

22 for me (not counting a few that I bought on vinyl first time round, but got rid of and didn't upgrade* to CD). 

[* You heard me] 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

22 for me (not counting a few that I bought on vinyl first time round, but got rid of and didn't upgrade* to CD). 

[* You heard me] 

That’s criminal!

• Haha 2

I have 31 from the ROlling Stones list (which is a shite list IMO

97. Arctic Monkeys

94. Arcade Fire

92. Yazoo

88. Violent Femmes

86. Killers

19. The Smiths

73. Pink FLoyd

67. Jeff Buckley