Best Debut Albums

maqroll

yeah, don't ask me to spell it (it's in French)

but it's got AIR written in dots on the cover and there's defo a copy of it in my house!

----actually by the power of the interweb its called Premiers Symptomes and pre dates by a year, if its not a studio album that's one tight live sound they've got (but then I suppose they only have to press play on the Macbook)

I'd guess it was probably released in the UK after the success of Moon Safari

Not an album as such, more an ep and a compilation ep at that. (best tracks of first few singles)

Original release had 5 tracks, 1999 rerelease had 2 bonus tracks and that was released after Moon Safari

hey hey hey

let's not make the duration of the performance the measure of the man

it might be short and quick, but it's a hell of a thing

(but yeah, looks like Moon Safari probs counts as proper debut)

Never heard anything by Weezer. Just going by the name and their appearance I assumed they'd be shite.

An album so substantial the band misguidedly attempted to tap into its resonance through cover graphics a mere two releases later. In 1994, 70s rock had come to mean either a bastardized version of Led Zeppelin or a bullshit reconstruction of punk rock. As guitar nerds, Weezer sought influence there but found true inspiration in forgotten bubblegum power-pop like Cheap Trick, Raspberries, 20/20, and The Quick. Most impressively, Rivers Cuomo rescued the thrilling guitar solo from finger-tapping metal and disregarding grunge/punk. A decade later air-guitaring to the album feels far less embarrassing than singing along. With the help of Spike Jonze, Weezer kept joy alive in arena rock, making the critical repositioning of Weezer as some emo touchstone even more absentminded. They called themselves Weezer, knowingly, for chrissakes

In ten years time no one will remember the Artic Monkeys, its their best album by far but one of the greatest debuts? never in a million years

I'm sure this is true! 

They are my favourite band and IMO their debut isn't their best album but I would always pick it as 'one of the greatest debuts'... was massive in the post-Strokes era of modern indie music. 

In ten years time no one will remember the Artic Monkeys, its their best album by far but one of the greatest debuts? never in a million years

I'm sure this is true! 

They are my favourite band and IMO their debut isn't their best album but I would always pick it as 'one of the greatest debuts'... was massive in the post-Strokes era of modern indie music.

Post Strokes era? You mean the dull years?

• 9 years later...

Went through the thread. A fair few I would have said have already been mentioned. 

That being said, I don’t think I spotted these in among the suggestions from way back when, so here you go. 

They probably fall in the “Yeah, pretty good, solid start to a discography there. Let’s see what they do next” category.

IMG_9587.thumb.jpeg.df2572d42689e1a08c1b52a8e9ce4e78.jpeg

On 02/09/2013 at 11:42, mjmooney said:

Never heard anything by Weezer. Just going by the name and their appearance I assumed they'd be shite.

...and ten years later, this is still the case. 

Edited by mjmooney

Only a few weeks away from the 10 year time scale put on the Arctic Minkeys career 

it’s a close run thing but their Glastonbury headline probably just about ended it before the deadline 

Tbf my mates son plays in an Arctic Monkeys tribute band so I’ve heard more than one song of theirs now , but when I’ve been to see them play they have a pretty decent young  following so it does seem like AM have stood the test of time 

• Like 1

The musicianship on this is really advanced for a debut album by young rockers. And it was a smash hit of course, with all the songs getting airplay, not just the singles.

R.I.P. Brad Delp

Boston | Classic rock albums, Rock album covers, Boston album

• Like 1

On 29/08/2013 at 09:07, Keyblade said:

Off the top of my head.

Cynic - Focus

Ulver Bergtatt

Nas - Illmatic

Tetsu Inoue - Ambiant Otaku

Wu-tang Clan - 36 Chambers

Now that’s a spread of tastes. Cynics albums was never really appreciated at the time though and to be honest I prefer Ulver’s sophomore album Kveldssanger. 

1 hour ago, Follyfoot said:

Surprised nobody has mentioned, never mind the bollocks

A few did, notably @bickster  & @mjmooney. I don’t think it’s got quite the punch anymore. If I want punk, I’ll shove on The Ramones over Sex Pistols any day of the week.

Shame quite a few of the pictures haven’t survived over the years but it’s interesting seeing what people say. Some surprising omissions though (unless in links or missing pictures): -

Black Sabbath - S/T

Black Flag - Damaged

Ghost - Opus Eponymous 

Machine Head - Burn My Eyes

The Mars Volta - Deloused in the Comatorium

RATM - S/T

The Ramones - S/T

Slipknot - S/T

Television - Marquee Moon (not a particular favourite, but know it to be hugely influential as well).

It’s good to see the disputes around Oasis/Artic Monkeys hasn’t changed ‘much in 10 years! It’s actually funny reading through the thread and seemingly people were not as aware of all of the possible opinions on the board. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, il_serpente said:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I also second the following that were mentioned earlier by others:

Talking Heads '77

Air- Moon Safari or Premier Symptomes (whichever you consider the debut)

Portishead- Dummy

The Doors

We have a winner. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

Only a few weeks away from the 10 year time scale put on the Arctic Minkeys career 

it’s a close run thing but their Glastonbury headline probably just about ended it before the deadline 

Tbf my mates son plays in an Arctic Monkeys tribute band so I’ve heard more than one song of theirs now , but when I’ve been to see them play they have a pretty decent young  following so it does seem like AM have stood the test of time 

They're testing me with the last 2 albums but they're probably my favourite band still kicking around

Â