The History Thread

maqroll

Yeah, Hitler had major health problems during his last days.

He had his own pastry chef down in the bunker and most probably had diabetes which he massively ignored. He'd nearly lost control of his left arm and he was walking with the aid of a stick.

He had Parkinson's disease I believe

Read a decent medical article yesterday that detailed his health issues and fact from fiction ... There was a rumour he had a deformed penis after it goat bitten by a goat during childhood ( wtf)

Nothing that made him pathological mad was the final verdict , but some of the drugs he took may not have helped

Apparently he only had one ball...

Another myth

So it's not in the Albert Hall?

• Like 1

He had his own pastry chef down in the bunker and most probably had diabetes which he massively ignored. He'd nearly lost control of his left arm and he was walking with the aid of a stick.

Read a decent medical article yesterday that detailed his health issues and fact from fiction ... There was a rumour he had a deformed penis after it goat bitten by a goat during childhood ( wtf)

Nothing that made him pathological mad was the final verdict , but some of the drugs he took may not have helped

Apparently he only had one ball...

Which one ?

anything about post war trauma? not sure if that was the turning point or not but it always seemed to me like he was a nobody with nothing to live for, then the war gave him a purpose, then as he lay injured germany surrendered (with a jew signing the paper wasnt it?) and he lost his purpose again, not sure if you'd put it down as post traumatic stress or even say that was the moment but i dont think you'd be far wrong if you did, dont get me wrong i dont think he particularly nice or mentally right pre-war, he would have almost certainly been antisemitic before then as it was fairly common and accepted, but it mentally ruined him

He definately had Parkinsons.Saw a docomuntery where he gave a kid soldier an Iron cross and he shook hands with the other kid soldiers and he held one hand behind his back all the time and that hand never stopped shaking.This was in 1945.

The government's latest gimmick of promising to fund the cost of sending two children from every school to visit the WW1 war graves seems like bo****** to me.

There has to be a better way of giving the whole of a school an insight into the realities of WW1 than funding a version of Willy Russell's Our Day Out, for just two pupils.

Maybe dressing up a 16 year-old lad, who is 5ft 3in and has a 34in chest, in a WW1 uniform, to remind them of who the country were eager to sacrifice.

And, for the girls, they could paint a few of them yellow, so they look like the 'canary girls', and remind them of how ordinary women earned the vote and the difference between a suffragette and suffragist. 

A few girls handing out white feathers would offer a strong reminder that sexism is a two-way street.

The government's latest gimmick of promising to fund the cost of sending two children from every school to visit the WW1 war graves seems like bo****** to me.

There has to be a better way of giving the whole of a school an insight into the realities of WW1 than funding a version of Willy Russell's Our Day Out, for just two pupils.

Maybe dressing up a 16 year-old lad, who is 5ft 3in and has a 34in chest, in a WW1 uniform, to remind them of who the country were eager to sacrifice.

And, for the girls, they could paint a few of them yellow, so they look like the 'canary girls', and remind them of how ordinary women earned the vote and the difference between a suffragette and suffragist. 

A few girls handing out white feathers would offer a strong reminder that sexism is a two-way street.

sneaking politics into the history thread  ..... boo hiss

My own take would be that it's important to see these things .. school books don't stimulate the mind in much the same way as going out there  ... be it visiting the pyramids or visiting the Colosseum ... Our schools have always seemed to give both world wars a high emphasis and so on that basis take the children out there , let them see the rows and rows of graves and learn the lesson  .. and pray it never happens to them 

I made a visit to Gallipoli the other year ,it's very interesting and also a little sombre  .. for the Turks it's kind of a place of a bit of nationalist pride , it's also rather shameful they way some of the locals hang around at the Anzac graves smoking having picnics and being generally disrespectful to what is a memorial  ... to put it in perspective , if I acted the same way as the Turks were at the Turkish memorial I probably wouldn't be alive   ... it would be better to remove the Anzac memorials if the Turks aren't going to respect it  ( i suppose it would something akin  to  putting a memorial to the 11/9  hijackers at the Trade Centre and having Muslims go there to pay their respects to the martyrs  )

David Baddiel says that when he went to Auschwitz, some bloke came up and asked him when he was going to do another series of Fantasy Football. 

• Like 1

BnDn9X3IgAAhl6v.jpg

not strictly relevant other than being 'historic', but Lancaster nose sections being constructed at the Castle Bromwich factory

Pretty topical, considering that the world's only two airworthy survivors will be united for a series of air shows in the UK this August.

Exciting stuff for us plane geeks.

• Like 2

I made a visit to Gallipoli the other year ,it's very interesting and also a little sombre  .. for the Turks it's kind of a place of a bit of nationalist pride , it's also rather shameful they way some of the locals hang around at the Anzac graves smoking having picnics and being generally disrespectful to what is a memorial  ... to put it in perspective , if I acted the same way as the Turks were at the Turkish memorial I probably wouldn't be alive   ... it would be better to remove the Anzac memorials if the Turks aren't going to respect it  ( i suppose it would something akin  to  putting a memorial to the 11/9  hijackers at the Trade Centre and having Muslims go there to pay their respects to the martyrs  )

Not a bad analogy. The British and Anzac soldiers were invaders who cost the Turks thousands of lives that wouldn't have been lost if they'd left Turkey well alone.

Honouring soldiers who gave their lives invading your country isn't something that comes naturally to most people.

I got some nice shots of the Battle of Britain flight at the Queens Jubilee the other  year   .. 1 Lanc and 4 spitfires  ... was a decent fly by all in all  ... Farnborough this year , added bonus that a lot of the planes will go into a holding pattern around where I live so quite likely to get them flying over the back garden ...

here's a couple took at Farnborough in 2012  , was a rather overcast day and i was messing about with the camera settings and somehow didn't quite pull it off sadly  :(

mm4phl.jpg

10xvk7d.jpg

• Like 1

14053314078_69e3a5152e_b.jpg

the grave of Maria Forbes, Bovey Tracey PPT Church

She died in 1655 and originally her tomb was within the church as she was the wife of the incumbent rev.. But Rev Forbes was a staunch royalist and painted the rose black to commemorate the death of Charles I. The punishment in Cromwellian Britain was for her tomb to be moved outside.

Lighting / strong sunlight / contrast was a pig here and I couldn't get any closer due to bees! Definitely requires a return visit, another grave had no obvious date but had some very crude Celtic swirls and what I reckon was a monkey. Yet another had the date 9th June 1649.

Why is it that German soldiers/airmen etc dont march in Anzac day/Armistice day etc peades ?

They fourght for their country as well,the only difference is that they lost,they should be allowed to march though ?!

• 2 weeks later...

Something in the paper today about the KKK, I did not know it was formed by confederate soldiers who wanted to keep slavery after the civil war. At its peak in the 1920s it had over four million members.

Â