The History Thread

maqroll

The M4 was brutal tonight. Presumed it must have been roadworks but it turned out to be what looked like a Douglas Devastator (or something similar) on the back of a lorry that was taking up two lanes of the motorway. So impressive was it that after I'd finally managed to squeeze past it, I pulled in at the services to wait for it to catch up so I could chase it down and have another look.

It looked a lot like this (but without the whirly thing at the front going round):

image_zpsa1158f89.jpg

• Like 2

This is probably the oldest book I have, The Motherland Reader, I think it was published in 1920. It's a children's book to teach them how great the British Empire is and about the individual countries that make up Britain.

WP_20130902_002.jpg

WP_20130902_003.jpg

WP_20130902_004.jpg

WP_20130902_005.jpg

Talking of the British Empire , Sri Lanka where I was last week is kinda  a prime example of all that was good and bad with it in one small country

the info structure and the tea plantations etc we put in place transformed the country ... sadly that we imported Tamils to work the plantations eventually led to civil war  

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm a big military buff and love old historical battles 

Is this thread strictly about WW2?

I was always drawn towards to the periods in time before explosives and guns were used and people fought using swords and shields.

The times long ago where people fought for chivalrous reasons and not just oil

Was reading up today randomly at work about the battle of hastings and King Harold

His loyal bodyguard interested me the Huscarl's 3k- 4k in number they did not bother with shields but wielded a 2 handed danish axe (awesome)

While the rest of the English army routed they rallied around his banner to protect his corpse and fought to the last man because of the oath they sworn to him

Edited by AshVilla
  • Like 1

Except that it was (figuratively speaking) always about oil. 

Before oil, it was land, water, other resources. Anything that would give the leaders more power. 

Of course, they needed a USP to get the masses to go for it, hence chivalry, religion, glory, whatever. 

But I agree, fascinating stuff. 

• Like 1

There was a woman on Pointless last week who said she didn't want any questions on history, as (quote) "It's already happened, so it's of no interest".  :mellow:

There was a woman on Pointless last week who said she didn't want any questions on history, as (quote) "It's already happened, so it's of no interest".  :mellow:

People like that frighten me. As do people who can't locate major countries on maps. It's willful ignorance. 

• Like 3

Im really into WWII.When I was in London ( 2 seasons ago ) I went on a " Battlefield Tour" of the landing beaches as well as St Mere Eglise,Pegasus bridge,Pont Du Hoc and the battery at Longues ( all included in the tour ) after actually bieng on those beaches I am surprised anyone actually got off them. Parts of the mulbery harbour still remain at Gold beach and at Utah, after getting off the beach there are bunkers 100 yards further inland ( so they had to start all over again )

At St Mere Eglise they have a dummy hanging from a parachute from the church steeple.

It was a fascanating tour ( 4 days )

While in London I also went to Hendon and saw planes like the Stuka ( the only one left ) and the Me 262 and Heinkel 162 and 111. 

Â