The History Thread

maqroll

Something in the paper today about the KKK, I did not know it was formed by confederate soldiers who wanted to keep slavery after the civil war. At its peak in the 1920s it had over four million members.

But did you know that Superman helped destroy the KKK?

I dont know a lot about the KKK to be honest, just thought it was interesting that it was set up by confederates. Four million members was a hell of a lot. I know the south have always been known to be tarred with the racist brush.

I dont know a lot about the KKK to be honest, just thought it was interesting that it was set up by confederates. Four million members was a hell of a lot. I know the south have always been known to be tarred with the racist brush.

The plight of the freed slaves of the American south stands as one of the great lessons in history, because most of the freedoms and opportunities which were won for black people during the Civil War were gradually taken back by the white folk and culminated in a racist President (Woodrow Wilson) segregating Federal workers and the American Navy, almost fifty years later.

The KKK enforced that political oppression by torture, murder and intimidation.  

The lesson is that, no matter what freedoms you think you have won, they can always be taken back.

• Like 3

that's good because I really don't think I could be the receiver

(today of all days, we celebrate the heroics of our ancestors and relatives that fought so as we can sit at home freely writing random smut with strangers - heartfelt thanks)

I read that an English Normandy veteran living in a nursing home was told he couldn't attend today's memorial, so he busted out of there and smuggled himself to France!

:clap:

Just reported on the radio 4 news that he's now safely back in Blighty.

Been described by the ferry company as 'a bit of a cheeky chappy'.

Couple of stories in the last couple of days have nearly got me.

So I know I'm picking a fight here, but there have been a few people that have suggested that the Americans entered into WW2 at the very end, and are attributed all the plaudits for saving Europe, etc.

But if we look at the dates, we see that it's simply not true. 

The war started in 1939, UK officially entered in September 1939

The war ended in 1945

Americans officially entered the war in December 1941, if we don't include arms shipments and intelligence missions which were already underway.

I've read on here that the USA is the Ole Gunner Solskjaer of combatants (showing up in the 90th minute), which is funny, but just not true. We'd have to be considered a late first half substitution if we use football metaphors.

Also, in terms of troop casualties, lives lost were roughly equal on both sides (UK/US).

I agree that Hollywood has always made the Americans look like saviors at the expense of accurately portraying the valiant efforts of British and all Commonwealth troops, as well as the Soviet troops. 

But I've noticed there is a tendency (maybe as a backlash to Hollywood) to downplay the significance and impact of American involvement in the war, even to the point of suggesting we kind of just showed up at the very end.

It ain't true.

Relax, mate. it's all in fun. I agree with your metaphor - just before half time is about right. And we'd have lost without US (and to be fair, Soviet) intervention. 

The Chinese would probably argue that we were all late to the party anyway - they'd been fighting the Japanese since 1937. 

• Like 3

and it turned out the kids on the other team didn't even want to play, the poor buggers

but yeah, to the original WWII point, I don't think anybody really believes the 'turned up late' tosh that gets spouted

Â