The History Thread

maqroll

There's two Stukas, the other is in Chicago.

None of the genuine article are airworthy, though someone has a flyable single seat scale replica that's about three quarters of the original size.

There was a woman on Pointless last week who said she didn't want any questions on history, as (quote) "It's already happened, so it's of no interest".  :mellow:

People like that frighten me. As do people who can't locate major countries on maps. It's willful ignorance. 

Yeah, it's bad enough that so many people just aren't interested in anything beyond food, drink, sex and TV. 

Still, that's their call, they're perfectly entitled to live that way if they want - they're not bothering anybody else with it. 

What really beats me is why people like that volunteer to go on quiz shows and show up their ignorance. 

Quizmaster: "What questions are you hoping will come up?" 

Contestant: "Sport, preferably. Or films. Anything but history, science, geography, that sort of thing". 

It's a general knowledge quiz - don't they ever watch it and consider that maybe they're not ideal for it? 

There was a woman on Pointless last week who said she didn't want any questions on history, as (quote) "It's already happened, so it's of no interest".  :mellow:

People like that frighten me. As do people who can't locate major countries on maps. It's willful ignorance. 

Yeah, it's bad enough that so many people just aren't interested in anything beyond food, drink, sex and TV. 

I've been to some weird places and all that but I was staggered last year when people asked me where I'd been and I say "Bhutan" and they say something like , is that in Turkey  !!

Turks and Caicos ..is that a Greek island was another particular favourite 

but it's become the "piss you off thread " now so I'll go On Topic

I'm a big History buff and it fits in perfectly with my other hobby  , which might surprise people is .... travel

this years trip takes in Athens and this rather interesting site in Albania  amongst others  before then veering off over to Iran and Persophilis

also going to zip past the submarine pen and Mig graveyard in Albania ( see Top gear) .. sadly they are closed to the public but I'm hoping a few yankee $'s might convince someone to open the gate for me for a quick run around

I like WWII history but for me nothing tops Ancient Egypt , with China a close second  I'm hoping they finally dig Emperor Qin's tomb (Xian ) in my lifetime as the expectation is that it will be the greatest archaeology find of all time ..or an empty mound  ... either way I'm dying to know

Edited by tonyh29
  • Like 2

I'm hoping they finally dig Emperor Qin's tomb (Xian ) in my lifetime as the expectation is that it will be the greatest archaeology find of all time ..or an empty mound  ... either way I'm dying to know

It's been a while since they found that, I was wondering why there hadn't been much news since the initial excitement.

I'm hoping they finally dig Emperor Qin's tomb (Xian ) in my lifetime as the expectation is that it will be the greatest archaeology find of all time ..or an empty mound  ... either way I'm dying to know

It's been a while since they found that, I was wondering why there hadn't been much news since the initial excitement.

he's a living God or something to the Chinese isn't he .. hence why no permission is ever given to excavate

the legend has it about him being buried surrounded by rivers of mercury and soil testing on the hill has found traces of mercury  .. so it looks promising :)

I'm a big military buff and love old historical battles 

Is this thread strictly about WW2?

I was always drawn towards to the periods in time before explosives and guns were used and people fought using swords and shields.

The times long ago where people fought for chivalrous reasons and not just oil

Was reading up today randomly at work about the battle of hastings and King Harold

His loyal bodyguard interested me the Huscarl's 3k- 4k in number they did not bother with shields but wielded a 2 handed danish axe (awesome)

While the rest of the English army routed they rallied around his banner to protect his corpse and fought to the last man because of the oath they sworn to him

your looking for the Games of Thrones thread

I watched a documentary about the wounds suffered in old fashioned combat.

Something you dont take into account when you think about 2 handed swords or battle axes or ball and chain etc.The wounds must have been horrofic.

I am into WW II myself.

I reckon more of those blokes died from infection after the fact than sword wounds on the actual battlefield

Spot on. One of the more common remedies for severe cuts was wrap it in horseshit and pray hard

I reckon more of those blokes died from infection after the fact than sword wounds on the actual battlefield

What I meant was can you imagine what it would be like to be hit by a sword swung with 2 hands or hit with a mace. You might die of infection.....later but imagine the agony and pain before that happens.  

• Like 1

What I meant was can you imagine what it would be like to be hit by a sword swung with 2 hands or hit with a mace. You might die of infection.....later but imagine the agony and pain before that happens.
Still probably less painful than one of your jokes... ;) Edited by AVFC_Hitz
  • Like 1

Don't worry, I'll save it.

Of course, they were just flesh wounds.

It seems possible that you could definitely get a nasty nick from a claymore which could go bad if you weren't careful.

I went to the remains of a gladiator school innin of my trips ( can't remember where exactly but I'm thinking it was near Pisa )

They had found a few records and remains and the gladiators took quite a beating over the years but survived longer than you'd think ( I.e nothing like Hollywood portrays :) and almost never a fight to the death )

Lots of broken bones and nicks here and there but they did heal

I guess the major difference being they weren't in a battlefield situation and thus less likely to die of infection

I think we are all very lucky that Hitler was only good at public speaking and nothing else cause if he had the brain to listen to his generals/advisors we would all be speaking german now. 

Â